Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Production Thread...

Options
  • 30-01-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

To discuss imaging, commercial production and voiceovers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

The place to discuss station ID jingle packages, jingle collecting etc.

Radio Engineering : here talk about everything from a soldering iron to a mast, an optimod to an omnia.. radio clocks you name it!

Well said..

Are you a professional broadcaster who prepares their show daily? Find useful links here for Show Prep

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Production Suite
    Jingles and jingletalk
    Radio Engineering
    Radio Show Prep

Merged into a single: Radio Production thread. I'm fairly busy at the moment, but I'll contribute later on.

• Advertisement

They are not the same areas, you've ruined it now mods! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Enda,

Why dont you set up a forum on your own website and you can set it up anyway you like. Go wild and create lots of sub forums.

The Radio section on boards is working fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Maybe just one sub category here
    The "Enda 'why I hate Irish Radio' Caldwell" thread.

Seriously though Enda. Don't take so much offence because your ideas are not always apprieciated.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Maybe just one sub category here
    The "Enda 'why I hate Irish Radio' Caldwell" thread.

Seriously though Enda. Don't take so much offence because your ideas are not always apprieciated.

Actually Yes, I do take issue with that as I was offering some positive threads that would in a normal civilised country get some interesting chat going. And, I love Irish radio since the days of Nova so I don't know where you are going with that. And, don't patronise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Seriously Enda, don't take offence to it, it's not a bad idea. It's just that people who use this forum are probably used to how it is.

I occassionally venture onto the Television forum, but I fond it far too messy because there are so many subcatagories, and to be honest I can't be arsed going into all of them. But this forum I like, because you pretty much get to see all of the "hot" radio topics on the first page - no matter what genre or part of radio is being dealt with.

Take for example the thread on Voice over work in this forum (sorry I don't know how to do links), I like the way it's on the page along with all other topics being discussed, it allows me to view all topics of radio when they're all on the one page.

What if a topic, for example falls between to stools? Which happens frequently while talking about radio?

Just because it works on UK sights doesn't make it the best practice for this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

mcscrub wrote: »
    I occassionally venture onto the Television forum, but I fond it far too messy because there are so many subcatagories, and to be honest I can't be arsed going into all of them. But this forum I like, because you pretty much get to see all of the "hot" radio topics on the first page - no matter what genre or part of radio is being dealt with.

Television forum shot itself in the foot when it restructured. But, it did have the requisite volume of traffic to at least pretend that was a justifiable and sensible move.

I'd like to see a more vibrant Radio forum but I don't believe subforums is the way to go for reason mcscrub stated. However, I would like to see if Enda's idea of creating threads for dedicated topics would encourage more traffic. This said, I think it important that such a move should be structured i.e. X number of new dedicated threads (pointless to simply flood the forum with threads for the sake of it), thread topics should start in general areas (if in the course of a thread a particular interest in particulars emerges a new and dedicated thread can be spliced from it).

edit: if people are genuine about making Radio forum a better place for all users all arguments should be made rationally and without recourse to ambiguous or derisory comments directed at other users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

And, don't patronise me.

Pot, Kettle and Black!

You have made no secret here and elsewhere of you dislike of Irish Radio these days.

Tristram wrote: »
    Television forum shot itself in the foot when it restructured. But, it did have the requisite volume of traffic to at least pretend that was a justifiable and sensible move.

I'd like to see a more vibrant Radio forum but I don't believe subforums is the way to go for reason mcscrub stated. However, I would like to see if Enda's idea of creating threads for dedicated topics would encourage more traffic. This said, I think it important that such a move should be structured i.e. X number of new dedicated threads (pointless to simply flood the forum with threads for the sake of it), thread topics should start in general areas (if in the course of a thread a particular interest in particulars emerges a new and dedicated thread can be spliced from it).

edit: if people are genuine about making Radio forum a better place for all users all arguments should be made rationally and without recourse to ambiguous or derisory comments directed at other users.

...and usually 9 times outta 10 it resorts to "ambiguous or derisory comments " and pretty demeaning stuff anytime I express my opinion.

They weren't "threads for the sake of it" that I had started on Friday as I had given a considerable amount of thought and energy into selecting threads that would provoke some intelligent and positive discussion with both industry professionals making comment alongside "your average Joe" who just listens in the car or at work or just general posters.

I do not dislike Irish radio and maybe re-read some of my previous postings elsewhere Fuzzy Clam and see that I have not rubbished the entire Irish radio scene. If I did not like it, then I hardly think I would be involved with a number of the projects that I am currently involved in.

Another thing, 99% of you hide behind usernames that are fake and this gives you false bravado. I choose not to hide behind a username so that everything is open and transparent. It is quite easy to come on here and knock individuals as I see in other threads here commenting about friends Bebo ramblings - all this done whilst hiding behind a username.

This is meant to be a radio engineering thread? Or is it playlists? or what is it? I am confused thanks to the mods re arranging some budding threads that I started out to add to the board, not take away from it.

You are not ready for mature, informed discussion? then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You are not ready for mature, informed discussion? then fine.

I think you have set your sights too high for boards.ie ....

The average boards.ie poster doesn't care for the ins and outs of the radio industry, imaging etc. That is served pretty well by Radiowaves.fm, imo. The posters here just want to let off steam, or occasionally praise.

But in this instance, I support the fudge lad in merging the threads together.
    It would be better if one thread that had frequent discussion* on the topics you raise were successful rather than a few threads that will disappear onto page 3 after a couple of days, the moment is then lost and be gone for ever.

If you do feel that there is a need for a specific "Radio Industry" forum (which I would support) you can always ask the admins on the Feedback forum to set up a hosted forum here.

But in reality, specific industry chat doesn't work well in a busy forum on boards.ie

*if this thread takes flight after this is another story

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

To discuss imaging, commercial production and voiceovers etc.

As a listener of a very broad range of stations I notice a very big difference between the quality and pitch (or storyboard) of the adverts broadcast on large commercial stations those broadcast on small local/community stations.
    On the large stations the adverts are of the usual polished quality. But on all of the smaller stations it's common that the adverts are at best rudimentary. Messages imparted flat on behalf of a sponsor.
    So the query I have is: when a company agrees to advertise on a small radio station is that station missing an opportunity to develop its production skills? Or does it simply make no sense for the small station to take on creating a more professional approach to delivering the the information required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

humberklog wrote: »
    As a listener of a very broad range of stations I notice a very big difference between the quality and pitch (or storyboard) of the adverts broadcast on large commercial stations those broadcast on small local/community stations.
    On the large stations the adverts are of the usual polished quality. But on all of the smaller stations it's common that the adverts are at best rudimentary. Messages imparted flat on behalf of a sponsor.
    So the query I have is: when a company agrees to advertise on a small radio station is that station missing an opportunity to develop its production skills? Or does it simply make no sense for the small station to take on creating a more professional approach to delivering the the information required?

A lot of it is down the ad reps. They sell ideas to the advertiser.

I used to produce radio ads and I lose count of the number of times a rep would come in, last minute of the day, and say "I have to get this on air tomorrow".

He'd hand me a script:

Lady 1 - "Oh Mary, nice dress!"

Lady 2 - "Do you like it?"

Lady 1 - "Yes, I do. Where did you get it?"

Lady 2 - "I got it at Murphy's Fashions on Main Street".

Lady 1 - "Murphy's Fashions, you say"

Lady 2 - "Yes, Murphy's Fashions. They have a wide range of great clothes at fantastic prices"

Lady 1 - "Sounds great. I might go and buy something there"

Lady 2 - "You should".

MVO: Murphy's Fashions, Main Street, opposite the post office, for a wide range of clothes at fantastic prices.

----

Leaving aside the fact it was kind of impossible to find two ladies at 5pm to do the voices those ads were just the laziest, most irritating ads of all time.

And it's amazing how often you still hear them, even on big campaigns with agencies behind them.

Anyway, carry on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Thanks Landmonster, they are the ones I'm partly refering to but more so the ones that are often recorded by the person presenting the show. So for e.g. a presnter doing a show plays a record, plays a pre-recorded item then a bit of local news AND then cuts to an ad break where the same person doing the show just reads out the clients message such as "shop in Barney's it's great for cabbages, remember it's Barney's for cabbages. Barney's. They're the best". Then it's back to the same person live in the studio. This could run for weeks. I've just often wondered that on such stations would it not be a good idea to put some people to work in house on presenting their sponsors better? To the listener those ads lower the tone of the station and I'm sure that a small business wouldn't mind it's product having a more polished representation.
    I'm not putting this forward as how it should be but really just asking something that I'd often thought about. To me a short ad would be perfect training ground for sharp editing, inventiveness, presentation and clarity of message. Skills that when expanded, make a good programme too.

Just curious as to why this isn't done. Badly made in-house ads are off putting to the listener. I know...I am one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I used to produce radio ads and I lose count of the number of times a rep would come in, last minute of the day, and say "I have to get this on air tomorrow".

He'd hand me a script:

Lady 2 - "Yes, Murphy's Fashions. They have a wide range of great clothes at fantastic prices"

Lady 2 - "You should".

MVO: Murphy's Fashions, Main Street, opposite the post office, for a wide range of clothes at fantastic prices.

----

Leaving aside the fact it was kind of impossible to find two ladies at 5pm to do the voices those ads were just the laziest, most irritating ads of all time.

And it's amazing how often you still hear them, even on big campaigns with agencies behind them.

Anyway, carry on.

Are you Twenty Major?

http://tinyurl.com/abe5sw

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm glad to see that this thread is now getting on topic.

However if there is a continuation of the previous spat then there will be consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

The commercial producers in most stations don't have time to make a really polished agency sounding ad.

Com-prod sees an off-air DJ passing the studio window and calls the DJ in to voice 5 scripts in 10 minutes (or less!). An agency would take 2 hours to voice a 30 second commercial, and you pay for that through the nose.

We notice the difference but I doubt the Mary refferred to in a previous post would!

Sales reps don't care either. They make the sale get the gist of the ad across and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

More Music wrote: »
    Com-prod sees an off-air DJ passing the studio window and calls the DJ in to voice 5 scripts in 10 minutes (or less!).

Nail, head! And if they're lucky then those 10 minutes are while the news is on, so they're (technically) getting paid for the V/O....

Otherwise, nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Enda's idea was a good one, maybe the mods could look at this again and give it a go using stickies if neccessary, there should still be enough room on the forum to berate Gerry Ryan/Derek Mooney/*

*insert any name here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

This thread has seen, what, 23 posts in a week? Take out the self promotion , backbiting, and mod intervention between the two and maybe 50 to 60% of those posts are actually relevant to the thread.

The insertion of one or two speculative topics is going well, but not spectacularly well enough to completely change the face of boards/arts/radio on the strength of one persons desire to create a rival to Radiowaves. I think the Radio board will evolve as needs require. No need to force it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The Muppet wrote: »
    Enda's idea was a good one, maybe the mods could look at this again and give it a go using stickies if neccessary, there should still be enough room on the forum to berate Gerry Ryan/Derek Mooney/*

*insert any name here.

the threads were only closed because there were so many empty ones, it flooded the forum and people got annoyed. If you want to discuss a particular subject then just go for it - you don't need us to open threads for you, do you?
    I can understand there may be some hesitation because the others were closed but that was nothing to do with their content - moreso the lack of it, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

What kit is everyone using these days to make ads, sweepers etc?
    When I started it was good old 1/4 inch, razor blade & sticky tape & a four channel mixing desk.
    Then we advanced to digital - first off we have a program called "Producer for Prisma". Very slow to do just about anything on it. Didn't last too long thankfully.
    The mixing desk that was bought for the production studio was a Soundcraft Ghost 32. Pictures of it attached.

We then looked at SADiE and Pro Tools. Thankfully we chose Pro Tools.
    Everyting was just fast, fast, fast. Preview of crossfades etc just happened, there & then, no waiting for everything to be calculated. I know that this was down primarily to the Mac OS & the Motorola processors, but did it crunch the numbers.

Absolutely loved that kit. I think the version that we bought can now be downloaded free from the digidesign website.
    We used to master everything to DAT, then Minidisc - two technologies that will be around for ever :eek::eek:

So whats the popular kit around these days - Pro Tools? Cool Edit?
    Whats in your rack?

Cheers
    Al.

Hey Alzar,

Most places use Protools still with extra plugins and addons / toys inline with a digital motorised desk (RTL Group for example the Letz / Luxembourgish service service uses this).
    FM104 still have the same model Spirit Folio Soundcraft desk (as you used in Atlantic 252) in Production as in your photos and Protools in line with that.
    At home, I just use a bog standard licensed copy of Adobe Audition 1.5 which gives great results (will have v.3.0 coming soon). :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Makes make smile as I think back about that desk & protools.
    I think we did all the mixdowns using the protools onboard mixer.
    The Soundcraft was a slight(!) bit of overkill. Looked nice in the studio, though :)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Anybody remember Soundscape? It was one of the first DAW's.

Expensive piece of kit, plugins were a complete ripoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

He'd hand me a script:

Lady 2 - "You should".

----

Anyway, carry on.

this is true.. its almost like reps/clients are afraid to try anything even slightly different!

• Advertisement
Advertisement