Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio nostalgia

• 30-01-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Where are they now? Just want to reminisce about the days when a playlist was just a box of records in the studio? Talk about Radio Caroline, Sunshine Radio, Nova etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm going to re-introduce some of these on a staggered basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Where are they now? Just want to reminisce about the days when a playlist was just a box of records in the studio? Talk about Radio Caroline, Sunshine Radio, Nova etc.

Can't talk about Caroline but Sunshine and Nova's playlist was NEVER just a box of records in the studio.:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Would sir care to start? Fire away Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

humberklog wrote: »
    Would sir care to start? Fire away Enda.

In fairness to the chap, he got a bollicking when he did actually start the postings on the threads he'd just begun, so lets just see how they develop on their own, eh?

Me, I'd like to know if there is any update on Simon Young. Decent dj and witty chap. Last I heard he was quite ill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

In fairness

Dear Frankie it's hard not to feel like a hamster in an experimental lab.

• Advertisement

Edit.

Doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Enda
    Are you refering to the presenters who could,from their massive personal collections,muster a new box of discs for their regular,often off peak,shows?

Mike Raven,Bob Harris,Alexis Korner come to mind from the early BBC Radio 1 days.I am also sure that many remember that John Peel was the champ in this regard and could play anything from Noel Coward to The Chieftains or even The Fuireys with Davy Arthur.

I myself sometimes achieve this on Dublin City FM's Sunday Breakfast and note that there is a small apparent demand for such variety particularly among those who used listen to the sponsored 15 minute shows on Radio Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Me, I'd like to know if there is any update on Simon Young. Decent dj and witty chap. Last I heard he was quite ill.

There was a piece on Simon in the Star last week. He was and remains quite sick (it's a rare condition involving balance and crippling pain if I remember correctly). However, he wants to get back into radio, and would love to do talk radio now.

A wonderfully gifted jock in his day - and one of the guys that inspired me to get into radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jimmytwoflutes

Most sensible people found out over time that you will never make any money in radio, so they got out and are doing something else. Those 'old timers' that stuck it out are now in management and treat everyone else as badly as they were once treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

djsupreme wrote: »
    There was a piece on Simon in the Star last week. He was and remains quite sick (it's a rare condition involving balance and crippling pain if I remember correctly). However, he wants to get back into radio, and would love to do talk radio now.

A wonderfully gifted jock in his day - and one of the guys that inspired me to get into radio.

It would be great if Simon were to turn up on 4FM at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

Does anyone remeber Dusty Roads on 2fm, he used to be on before tony fenton's hotline?
    where is he now and is that his real name?
    I used to think Rick O'shea was made up, but i find out now he's not.

Does anyone remeber Dusty Roads on 2fm, he used to be on before tony fenton's hotline?
    where is he now and is that his real name?

Dusty Rhodes (not his real name) runs Digital Audio Productions, which makes syndicated programmes for DAB and FM radio stations including tTop 40 Oifigiúil na hÉireann and the Corona Hotmix.
    I used to think Rick O'shea was made up, but i find out now he's not.

Rick O shea isn't a made up person, but it is a made up name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I thought Barry Lang was on before the Hotline?

And didn't Dusty do the Hotline at one stage himself?

Ah, the days you had to look up what song you wanted in a newspaper... the Evening Herald for the Hotline and the RTE Guide for Dial a Number 1 with Gerry Wilson on Saturdays.

I think I still have an Evening Herald from 1992 or thereabouts and Crowded House "Weather With You" was on the list of 26 songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

RadioCity wrote: »
    I thought Barry Lang was on before the Hotline?

And didn't Dusty do the Hotline at one stage himself?

Ah, the days you had to look up what song you wanted in a newspaper... the Evening Herald for the Hotline and the RTE Guide for Dial a Number 1 with Gerry Wilson on Saturdays.

I think I still have an Evening Herald from 1992 or thereabouts and Crowded House "Weather With You" was on the list of 26 songs.

Wasn't the hotline list also on the Evening Press newspaper and then moved to the Herald when the Press closed down?
    I used to listen to it every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It also used to be listed in the Evening Echo in Cork/Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Have to admit that I think "The Hotline" was on of the best produced programmes ever on 2fm. It just sounded slick in an anorak kinda way.

Was it live or pre-recorded/edited down in a studio, I dunno, but I did like the end result.

Has hose ready to put out the flames...

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Hi Alzar buddy, The hotline was done live at the time.

Just to let you know that on a nostalgic tip there are a number of Facebook tribute groups just recently set up for the following Superpirates of the 80's and 90's:

Radio Nova (Ireland)

Energy Power 103 FM

Sunshine 101

SuperQ102

103.7 Kiss FM Monaghan Town

Kiss 106 (Dundalk & NI)

Energy 99'3 and Energy Radio 99.2 FM (Navan, Co.Meath)

:cool:

I hope you'll visit them, sign up and share your great memories with us of these great radio stations. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

John Peel

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Camelot wrote: »
    John Peel

R.I.P

Quite right. R.I.P. John.

Some newly released rare audio of some Superpirates has been digitised and uploaded by my good friend Don Stevens. Tony Allan on WLS Music Radio in Galway, Don Stevens and Bob Gallico on NOVA in the summer of '84 after Don drove his Limo over the NUJ picket line on the instruction of The Gardai (Declan Meehan had at this stage left for Capital in London and Chris needed someone to cover breakfast so Don and Yorkie were called in Galway) are just two of the audio delights you will find here http://www.offshore-radio.de/caroline/dstevens-en.htm

They are the full shows and some production workpart tapes... a very old method of audio storage! There are all sorts of bits and pieces on those files..

Don tells me there is a lot more to come incl. "Moody Nova" as recorded by Tony "It's good to be the Queen" Allan.. enjoy it! Now, who says I don't keep you updated wtih the latest in anorak news?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

....Don and Yorkie were called in Galway....

Keith York?

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

after Don drove his Limo over the NUJ picket line on the instruction of The Gardai?!

What would he do something like that for? The man sounds like a thug...

Advertisement