Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL Info: Short term 3 months?

• 30-01-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hello,

I am interested in teaching through TEFL for a short term period over the next 3 - 4 months.

Anyone got any advice on how I could get a short term placement in Europe?

I am doing the course this weekend and I have a degree etc.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would try this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=621

you'll get better information in there :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Moved from the Nocturnal Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Most TEFL companies can find you a job, but this service is expensive. Also a contract of 3 - 4 months is very short which will further limit the countries you will get a job in. I-to-I offer this type of service but it is expensive and due to your time constraints you would be limited to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

Thank you

I am trying Spain with i to i

Have you taught in Spain? any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

are you doing the i-to-i course?

well, while it is definitely much cheaper and stuff, the problem with it is that lots of accredited language schools in Europe do not recognize it as valid TEFL qualifications. The good news, on the other hand, is that i-to-i may help you find work placement upon its completion :)

if you'd rather look for something on your own, i'd strongly recommend this site www.tefl.com, the season for easter camps is just starting so lots of schools are looking for native speakers to teach EFL:)

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 uvdforever

your best bet is to go and talk to the ppl you studied the tefl course with. they have contacts with colleges and schools all over europe. thats how i got placements in italy. its good fun too!

madziuda wrote: »
    are you doing the i-to-i course?

well, while it is definitely much cheaper and stuff, the problem with it is that lots of accredited language schools in Europe do not recognize it as valid TEFL qualifications. The good news, on the other hand, is that i-to-i may help you find work placement upon its completion :)

if you'd rather look for something on your own, i'd strongly recommend this site www.tefl.com, the season for easter camps is just starting so lots of schools are looking for native speakers to teach EFL:)

good luck!
    Hello,

Thanks for your help.

I am between jobs so I got FAS to pay for the i to i course and I did the 20 hr last weekend and have the 100 hr online one also.

I was hoping to get a short term teaching post to keep me going in to the summer and to get off the the dole.

I will work anywhere but I have a preference for Europe.

I have been looking at the www.tefl.com site and it looks good. How can I use it to get what i am after:confused:?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Short term posts may be available thro' London based recruitment agencies such as http://www.saxoncourt.com/ some of the larger organisations such as Linguarama or International House often have some vacancies for jobs running from now until the summer so you could try them. To give you an idea, in the past, I've had a four month position in a small town in northe east Italy thro' Saxoncourt running mid-Jan to end June and 3 mths in Barcelona with Linguarama Feb - end June. It's worth a try - then back home to do a summer school !

I would warn you however that for Europe most places will expect you to have the full CELTA but you can still give it a go.

See Ye wrote: »
    Short term posts may be available thro' London based recruitment agencies such as http://www.saxoncourt.com/ some of the larger organisations such as Linguarama or International House often have some vacancies for jobs running from now until the summer so you could try them. To give you an idea, in the past, I've had a four month position in a small town in northe east Italy thro' Saxoncourt running mid-Jan to end June and 3 mths in Barcelona with Linguarama Feb - end June. It's worth a try - then back home to do a summer school !

I would warn you however that for Europe most places will expect you to have the full CELTA but you can still give it a go.

Hello,

Tanks for your advice.

I am going to get funding to do the CELT course in Dublin at the DSE.

I tried Saxoncourt but they have no vacancies at the minute. I think I will try Linguarama.

I was hoping to get a job in Europe but if I cant I will try South Korea. I wouldnt be confident going to Korea without the practical experience offered in a celt or celta couse.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rainwain

Mr Miyagi, i was just wondering if you have found a placement in Spain yet? I'm in the same position as you (or you were) and I would love to be teaching by the end of March. Do you think thats possible? I havnt done my tefl yet but i'm hoping in the next two weeks. Any advice at all would be a great help, thanks a mill!

• Advertisement

rainwain wrote: »
    Mr Miyagi, i was just wondering if you have found a placement in Spain yet? I'm in the same position as you (or you were) and I would love to be teaching by the end of March. Do you think thats possible? I havnt done my tefl yet but i'm hoping in the next two weeks. Any advice at all would be a great help, thanks a mill!

Hello,

Dont do an online tefl course if you want to teach in Europe!

You need a recognised qualification a Celt or Celta. I am doing one at the minute and it takes 4 weeks full time but you get 6 hours of teaching practice and it is a comprehensive course.

It is tough to get a job at the minute with the recession, but there will be summer school opportunities from June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rainwain

OK, thanks a million! I will look into the celt course then. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

Hi
    I'm currently seeking a TEFL position in Spain at the moment and am finding it very difficult. I have been trying from here (Ireland) by internet but it's proving fruitless. I'm going to head to give it one last lash by heading over to Madrid next week. I have been hearing that many companies & schools are cutting costs and dropping English classes be cause of the current economic climate which is hitting Spain hard as well.
    Maybe September will be better.

Keep us posted on how you are doing?

Advertisement