Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While we are waiting.....

Options
  • 30-01-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

theres a lot on boards,waiting on medicals,pcts's and even just the phonecall to go down. So for those who could be going down in may/august/november is there anything productive to do in the meantime i.e. any courses books we can do which would be benificial in the long run? would like input from serving members who could recommend some things. im just trying to lose weight for the med, just to be sure,im doin a self-defence course soon anything else.....

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

Go traveling is all I can say lads. Just be within an earshot of a phone call though. Don't go too far were it would take you days to get home if you got sudden call for a medical. The PCT is always after the Medical so don't worry bout that.

You'll regret traveling if you don't, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Go traveling is all I can say lads. Just be within an earshot of a phone call though. Don't go too far were it would take you days to get home if you got sudden call for a medical. The PCT is always after the Medical so don't worry bout that.

You'll regret traveling if you don't, believe me.

ye i traveled before joining, good thing to do as you wont get much time off in chunks for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

My advice to those waiting on phonecalls who think they are outside the parameters of a new intake, and not currently working - call appointments and let them know you are free to start at short notice.

Some people pull out when offered, others get injured and cannot take up their place. Not everyone is free to start at short notice, so it seems appointments get down through the list quickly enough, and you could get lucky!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cookie81

Um I thought there was no more intakes this year after Feb intake? Now Im not 100% sure but I am 90% sure - Im in phase 2. Thats what Ive heard - I say go travelling too! For 6 months at this stage!
    Id say ring the public jobs crowd next week and find out if thats true or not!
    As for courses etc - everything you learn down there is brand new - if you know Irish Law thats a benefit but you wont learn ALL the law in Phase 1, just the relevant bits. As for fitness - it wouldnt be a bad thing to get fit if your not - cos you will be doing physical activity almost every day down there in P1. Theres prob no need to go off doing self defense before going in just for phase 1, unless you are interested in doing it as a hobby anyway , cos there were people down there, myself included who never did self defense before and passed it no problem.
    Other than that theres nothing in preparation you can do - I say enjoy yourself and get a holiday or 2 in - cos once your in (as a student anyway) you can kiss your holidays goodbye! Til phase 4!
    Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

To be honest I couldn't really recommend anything to read or study as was stated before you'll learn all the law you'll need in phase 1. Doing a bit of training aint a bad idea but i wouldn't go crazy the pt in templemore aint all that hard, dont waste your money on self-defence classes, you'll do it there and it all but the restraints go out the window once your finished training. Basically enjoy the time you got before you head to templemore because you'll not be to long in getting to hate the place.

P.S personally i am terrible at the Irish and i found this the only tough subject in templemore (more so on phase3 than phase1) so if your bad might not be a bad idea to brush up on some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

just wondering where you heard that about feb being the last intake of the year? i've everything done, like alot of people here, waiting for the next intakes.was hopin for may but with your info that seems very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

There are officially 4 intakes of about 100 due this year.

Everything else you hear is rumour and gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

Paolo5 wrote: »
    There are officially 4 intakes of about 100 due this year.

Everything else you hear is rumour and gossip.

Here's hoping. although you never know with biffo in charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cookie81

Despite what I said above Ive now heard that there MIGHT be 4 very small intakes in 2009 - I hope there is for those of you still waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

cookie81 wrote: »
    Despite what I said above Ive now heard that there MIGHT be 4 very small intakes in 2009 - I hope there is for those of you still waiting!

Yeah, i heard from someone in the college, they didnt know whether there'd be two big intakes in 09 or 4 small ones! Wonder what the numbers for Feb were??????

Can anyone shed some light!?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Alias B wrote: »
    Yeah, i heard from someone in the college, they didnt know whether there'd be two big intakes in 09 or 4 small ones! Wonder what the numbers for Feb were??????

Can anyone shed some light!?:)

Hi Alias,

I'm in the Feb intake and there are 100 in my class :rolleyes:. The are also 100 still here on Phase 1 from the Nov intake but they are leaving next month. Looks like 100 is the max for new intakes now. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Hi Alias,

I'm in the Feb intake and there are 100 in my class :rolleyes:. The are also 100 still here on Phase 1 from the Nov intake but they are leaving next month. Looks like 100 is the max for new intakes now. Hope this helps!

Cheers Northside!

It does help :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

While your waiting, (best of luck by the way), and when/if you get in, theres always something to be learning.

Reading:
    Verbal Judo, used in a lot of the US academys regarding using language to win situations (written by a judo expert who joined the police, and found the physical skills weren't enough)
    Roadcraft: Uk police driving manual, very similar to Irish course work. Even leaving the driving aside it gives some good tips on "red mist" mentality, i.e. not taking things personally etc.

Plenty of real crime books on Irish scene to be read. Heroin is recommended, written by a Sheriff Street girl on how she got started/off the gear.

TV: Bio channell are doing "Rookies" at the moment, US cops with camera crew onboard.

Fitness/health. Theres enough to be worried about in Templemore, so have the running/sit ups/ push ups sorted in advance.

First aid, everyone should know the basics.

The great thing about this career is that there's always something to learn.

Best of luck

Advertisement