Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad Hoc network

Options
  • 30-01-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i'm trying to get 3 computers to talk to each other on XP however 2 of them are too far away to see each other but the 3rd is able to see both. is there a way to send information to from the other two via the 3rd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FastGuy

Hi,

Just buy simplest access point and install on this 3rd one by cable, after that connect from 1 and 2 to ap. Should works!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

it's not that simple, lol. i need to get them talking to each other with out an access point. this is for a college project. or rather the tests are but if i can't get the pcs to pass on info i'll not be able to do the experiments :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I assume from your last post that the three computers are not connected to a network switch otherwise all three would be able to inter-connect. How do computers 1 and 2 connect with computer 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

There is an article on routing here
    http://www.ktectraining.com/demo/Demo3/Network%20Infrastructure%2070-291%20Part%204/page_05.html

Can you add a route on computer 1 to computer 2 specifying computer 3 as the gateway and on computer 2 to computer 1 with computer 3 as the gateway. You would need static IP addresses on all three and unless you specified persistent the route would be cleared on a reboot.

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works. I have a router on my network and have only used an ad hoc wireless network occasionally to link to hand held devices to upload data and software.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 itexpert

Hey, If I understood correctly you want to make network of 3 PCS. Follow the steps below:

1. Buy a Network Switch and connect each of the PCS to this switch.
    2. RENAME workgroup of all PCS to "MSHOME" or any other fav name.
    3. You should be able to see all three machines under " my workgroup computers"
    4. On any PC you want to transfer data to or from; just share folder by right clicking and choose a share name.
    5. click on relevant PC in "my workgroup computers" you will see same shared folder. Right click and choose map drive option. Now it will be available to you in My Computer.

Make sure to add network in "trusted zone" if you are using any firewall or av solutions.

shoot message, if you need any help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement