Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Opportunities in Galway.

• 30-01-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I'm heading down to Galway with a few mates next week and was wondering about all the cool photos i can take there. So anyone got any ideas, spots and locations in Galway which can make for some cool photographs?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Galway is beautiful. We drove along the coast, and then up to Maam Cross, before heading back.

Stunning landscapes and coastal areas to see. Great for photography. Mind, we were blessed with wonderful weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Heading to Galway soon myself, going to an early morning shoot here, Rusheen Bay 6.0 km west of the city, On the Coast past Salthill. Camo Shelters on site.
    www.galwaycivictrust.ie/project2.html lf your into nature there is a forest near too, There is a list on this link of projects in the area that might be interesting too.
    Go onto Google Earth and activate panoramio in GreenStar.gifGeographic Web (lefthand side) You can view photos of the area.

lf your making time for the city head to The kings head Great live bands Sat night, Get there early for a good seat!!!
    The streets in the city on a Sat afternoon is a great place for photo ops, with entertainers/shoppers/mini markets......

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

If you give me an idea of the type of thing you want to shoot then I can recommend some locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm not sure. Just sorta got into photography.
    I guess i'll probably be looking around for shots of the Galway night life. And maybe just some interesting shots around the city, by the sea n all...

l have a question af....is your accommadation cheap? because l'm finding it a bit expensive in the city.....

Another site in the city is St. Augustine's Well.....on Lough Atalia rd just behind College St. & Radisson sas hotel.
    http://www.galwaycivictrust.ie/project3.html

Linda

• Advertisement

we're staying at Barnacles hostel which is at the bottom of shoppers street i guess.
    I think its €13 per night. And its pretty much right in the centre of the city so quite convenient. We're just going for 3 days though.

But thanks for the places, i'll try to visit them.
    And also cheers for letting me know about The Kings Head. I can always enjoy some good music!

oh yeh! There's a Barnacles in Temple bar too. Looking into that, Thanks af.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

In the City:
    apart from just wandering around the streets which provide plenty opertunities
    with buscars, Lynch's Castle, Tigh Neachtains.

So the Following as a photo walk

St.Nicolas' Cathedral both outside and the rarely photographed insides
    Behind that you have Lynch's window; where he hung his son, and Nora Barncles' house.

The Mural on the wall of Sally Longs, Salmon Weir Bridge & anglers plus the other cathedral.

The Quad of NUIG, if you go round the back of the Quad; which people rarely do, there is the
    Presidents private apartments and giant coat of arms from when it was Queen's College Galway.

Carrying up along the riverside paths on campus, you have; the New Castle & strange scaffolding,
    further on by the playing pitches there is the Tea House, and Menlo Castle.

Other sites:
    Hookers on the Claddagh Basin; Blackrock diving platform in Salthill; the Long Walk from the end of
    Nimmo's Pier, Graffiti on Pump Lane behind Roisin Dubh & Beirhaus.At night the docks can provide
    some nice shots and are fairly safe provide you don't fall in.

Cheers for that post!!
    I'll try to visit those places you posted up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Burnt wrote: »
    The Quad of NUIG, if you go round the back of the Quad; which people rarely do, there is the
    Presidents private apartments and giant coat of arms from when it was Queen's College Galway.

If you can catch the Quad after 6pm when its dark you can get some lovley shots on long exposures around the walkways. The lighting can be quite moody.

Head around by the docks as well in front of Jury's, you can get some interesting shots.

• Advertisement

If you can catch the Quad after 6pm when its dark you can get some lovley shots on long exposures around the walkways. The lighting can be quite moody.

2283491691_4234dc7aab.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Hi,
    If you can get up early, there's a good chance of decent sunrise shots over Galway Bay. As for interesting photo spots, there is the Docks (especially at night). The route from the Spanish Arch/Claddagh along South Park and down to Salthill Prom would present plenty of opportunities. A little further west, there is Rusheen Bay - plenty of windsurfers there and then BArna Woods and Silver Strand (it's possible to walk along the shore from Silver Strand down to Brna Pier - 30 mins). Lots of laces in town too - Cathedral, market, etc. I've included the link to the Galway Camera Club flickr site for info

http://www.flickr.com/groups/galwaycameraclub/

BR,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭dinneenp

where in college is the Quad?

Thanks guys, i'll probably be heading there tomorrow so hopefully i'll take some cool pics!
    After i'm done with all the snow in Dublin today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Head down to the docks in daytime and walk around the whole place (over by the cranes, junk etc.
    Herhere's some I took last week

Just hang around Eyre Square and catch people playing around.

Just outside Kings head you usually get street performers...

dinneenp wrote: »
    where in college is the Quad?

If you got to the Cathedral;beside Salmon Weir Bridge, and head up towards
    the Hospital along University Rd. it's on the right hand side about half way up
    inside the university gates.

If you have google earth or similar: 53°16'39.94"N 9° 3'42.78"W

Advertisement