Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland is to be fast tracked into EU Membership.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and norway get most of their electricity from hydro

Scotland / England would be a better comparison. Maggie wasted all of oil money and managed to wipe out manufacturing industry south of the boarder. Both countries would have been better off independantly.

Just like the west of ireland would be better off with FF in power. they screwed up on the BMW regions so no EU funding for the future and no doubt FF would squander any oil money with similar inflation measures that would make all of us poorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the Celtic Sea area estimates come true then I'll be looking for Waterford/Wexford UDI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

mike65 wrote: »
    If the Celtic Sea area estimates come true then I'll be looking for Waterford/Wexford UDI.

What a hoot .The regime is goona let you pocket the cash .They make surer the contracts of sale whatever are done behind closed doors and they got the cash well spent before you even know what it was worth what you used to own.
    They gonna get big accommadation ships for Italians or Turks whatever to do all the work for less than irish minimum wages and the rest of Waterford crystal will go to Poland.Even if ROI found a Saudia Arabia of oil out there all we will get is the clean up bill when the stuff runs out and they will get bigger fater private jets and junkets and we wont get squat

So I for one would close down all oil and gas as that would at least feck the rugger buggers up and then grow bio fuels and at least employ sugar beet farmers in your UDI region

If your planning UDI its now you should do it not wait for them to plunder the gaff

Derry

Lirange wrote: »
    Fast Track into the EU has been offered.

It has yet to be accepted.

The Green party is expected to be the majority party by April. They are against joining the EU. Recent polling this month is evenly split. If they're not solidly backing it now will they ever be?

EU got thier sites on that gaff.They obviously paid a Sh!t lot of money to the bankers there to ensure the Icelandic banks went belly up.There is only 250,000 peoples there They only got to find another maybe 100 people in important positions who they pay off who will sell their country and they got Iceland in the bag and own the gaff.Then the 250,000 in Iceland can sing the EU national anthem "arbiet maken frie" welcomen stallig 99 slave labour camp .

The only hope that Iceland has is that some richer country will with no big strings attached like Norway or Denmark would loan them eneogh to get them out of the hole.No chance the Yanks will do anything for them after being the great buddies for donkeys years as the cold war bases are surplus to requirements .The Russian loans are serious loan sharks with a serious mafia

If the EU get Iceland they are for sure fecked .If Russia get them there super fecked .

ROI doesnt suffer these problems we got sold out so long ago from our own regime its not even probably not worth debating the surrender terms

Derry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

derry wrote:
    The only hope that Iceland has is that some richer country will with no big strings attached like Norway or Denmark would loan them eneogh to get them out of the hole.
    yeah Denmark should declare the US invasion null and void and allow Iceland the same autonomy as the Faeros or Greenland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

yeah Denmark should declare the US invasion null and void and allow Iceland the same autonomy as the Faeros or Greenland

...I hope you're not serious.

worried,
    Scofflaw

and norway get most of their electricity from hydro

Scotland / England would be a better comparison. Maggie wasted all of oil money and managed to wipe out manufacturing industry south of the boarder. Both countries would have been better off independantly.

Just like the west of ireland would be better off with FF in power. they screwed up on the BMW regions so no EU funding for the future and no doubt FF would squander any oil money with similar inflation measures that would make all of us poorer.

ROI can make all it electricy from peat if we wished.However the regime is well embeddded with the oil and gas importers so there is no plans to do that and EU rules are made to stop that and keep us importing oil.
    As for the scotish they were dumb ass stupid to let the english rob them but thats thier problem

FF sqander the money are you joking or something .These guys gravy train kick backs colossal squandering spending makes high maintinace girls look like spend thrifts .

Derry

I did say no strings attached and turn a blind eye to history issues but hard to see the Danes not wanting thier pound of flesh

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Lirange wrote: »
    The Green party is expected to be the majority party by April. They are against joining the EU. Recent polling this month is evenly split. If they're not solidly backing it now will they ever be?

There's some talk of them having the referendum to join the EU at the same time as the elections for the new Government, which would put it somewhere in the Spring of this year roughly. It should prove interesting given their leader until then is Euro-sceptic from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nesf wrote: »
    There's some talk of them having the referendum to join the EU at the same time as the elections for the new Government, which would put it somewhere in the Spring of this year roughly. It should prove interesting given their leader until then is Euro-sceptic from what I've read.

Is that the same party that has proposed trebling whale fishing?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Is that the same party that has proposed trebling whale fishing?

No idea, I've never paid much attention to Icelandic politics. :p

derry wrote: »
    ROI can make all it electricy from peat if we wished.
    Bogs are finite
    we are getting 250MW from Peat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bord_na_M%C3%B3na
    ared up, with trees or other suitable vegetation being introduced. Reclaimed bogland is then usually used as a wildlife preserve. Much of the bogs of Ireland have been depleted, it is likely that most peat-fired electricity stations will be closed within 25 years. Rhode Power Station near Edenderry, had its cooling towers demolished on 16 March 2004 as it was no longer viable, followed by Bellacorick in north County Mayo on 14 October 2007.
    Wind energy

€500 million will be spent developing the group's wind farm at Oweninny in northwest County Mayo. It was the first such commercial facility in the Republic and has been in operation since 1993.[1]

Currently producing six megawatts (MW) of electricity every hour at full capacity, the expansion will add 350MW to the farm's output. When it is completed the wind farm will have the potential to produce enough power to supply up to 350,000 homes
    There you go, Board na Mona will be supplying more wind energy than peat energy shortly

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojeyidsnsn/rss2/
    The board of the company has approved a Strategic Framework to 2020 that will see major investment in renewable energy, the halving of its carbon emissions within 12 years, and the achievement of carbon net-zero by 2035.
    By 2020, ESB will be delivering one-third of its electricity from renewable generation. This will include over 1,400 megawatts of wind generation, in addition to wave, tidal and biomass. To promote this, the company says it will invest in emerging green technologies.
    airtricity will also be supplying wind power and a lot of the biomass won't be peat.

nesf wrote: »

Well then in spring I might try to get a flight there to to find the no to EU campaign and tell them for that in order to save the ROI 200 mile fishing zone from total fish stock depletion we desperately need Iceland to remain outside the EU.This is because Iceland controls the fishing stock there tightly and dont let those huge fishing fleets of EU to clean up the gaff .As a result the high fish stocks there supplys fish stocks to the ROI as the fish traverse the oceans .If the Spanish and French and British fish strip mining operators are allowed to vacuum clean up all the fish in Iceland then the fishing stocks bordering on total collapse here in ROI will collapse and the fish stocks will also collapse all across the North Atlantic

Our future for our bit of the ocean which is ~7 times bigger than our land mass from which there is a possibility for a bountiful future if fish stocks were to recover is now is tangled up with Iceland's future. If they join EU we might as well say goodbye to the Atlantic ocean as a place for any fish to live in and call it our new dead sea North Atlantic

Also the measures of finance used against Iceland are not exactly fair. They owe five times their annual GNP. and now classed as basket case.The sums involved is about the annual GNP of ROI.The UK is now running at dept levels of 4 times their GNP and they are classed a relatively secure bet to loan money too. Future projections for the UK to go to 5 or 6 times the GNP in dept ratio are not classing the UK as a basket case and yet Iceland for peanut amounts in comparison is classed as basket case at 5 times ratios

The Brits even used anti terrorist laws meant for the big bad bin Laden babies to seize Icelandic assets which shows you how nasty and dirty the brits will fight and still bear a grudge for the icelandic fishing wars of the 70 era when the Icelandic whipped the UK ass

This is definitely the big USA and EU and Russia dividing up the spoils of war

We are only one letter and 6 month in the difference than Iceland before the big EU in feeding frenzy turns inwards and eats us up totally

remember we are only 1/3 of 1% of the total GNP value of the EU or 0.03% so were are not even a tasty bit malt teaser in terms of feeding frenzy

Iceland dept ridden as it is only 1/10th of 1% or 0.01%of the EU GNP

The only thing small fleas like us ROI and Iceland can do to very big EU is bite the nose of them and hopefully they call off the attack

Of corse the regime is to busy gourging on thier feeding frenzy from EU and oil interests and kickbacks and dont give a flying feck about the 4 million plebs in the ROI or the few hundred ROI fishermen here. So dont expect the regime to shed any tears for Iceland

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

1/3 of 1% of the total GNP value of the EU or 0.03%

It's unfortunate that the argument in this post is as bad as the maths. 1/3 of 1% = 0.33%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Iceland is a country of only 300,000 in an island bigger than Ireland. Can they contribute a lot to the EU?

Im all for them joining, ideally all the countries of Europe would eventually join in my opinion.

I just hope they wont sap anything out of the Union by joining. I imagine they would join the Euro pretty soon considering that the economy and finance are the reasons they are joining in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

On a normal individual in Iceland, what have actually been the consequences of the country going bankrupt?

On a normal individual in Iceland, what have actually been the consequences of the country going bankrupt?

I haven't been following it very closely, but imagine your currency collapsing. This makes all imports into the country extremely expensive, think 10-20 times more expensive. Now consider a tiny country of 300,000 people who need to import a very large amount of everyday goods. You can also throw in people being able to access their bank accounts for a while.

I've heard that for a while (and it may possibly still be the case) the only foreign goods you'd find in Iceland were those that came over in the aid packages from the Scandinavian countries.

Someone who is more familiar with the situation should be able to give you more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I have heard on more than one occasion that Iceland has 6:1 ratio of women to men.
    How much does one pay for a ticket to Iceland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They have a beautiful and unique country. There is massive potential for tourism for them if they were in the EU and if they join the Euro.

I don't see the negative aspect of them joining the EU. They are kind of out of the way for everyone in the EU to go to town on their fish stocks.

If anything we are best positioned to do that given our location.

I wouldn't have a problem with them joining the EU. Fish stocks are a worry in the EU I guess but we'll just have to protect the fish stocks then won't we or we'll have no fish left which won't really suit anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Well then in spring I might try to get a flight there to to find the no to EU campaign and tell them for that in order to save the ROI 200 mile fishing zone from total fish stock depletion we desperately need Iceland to remain outside the EU.

The Brits even used anti terrorist laws meant for the big bad bin Laden babies to seize Icelandic assets

This is definitely the big USA and EU and Russia dividing up the spoils of war

ROI and Iceland can do to very big EU is bite the nose of them and hopefully they call off the attack

the regime

Derry

Yeah... you go tell em; EVERYBODY IS EVIL, IT'S A CONSPIRACY! FIGHT THE POWAH! They'll probably pay for your flights and expenses for this
    super-important trip... I hear they have a shortage of educated political commentators over there. They might even make you king.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    Fish stocks are a worry in the EU I guess but we'll just have to protect the fish stocks then won't we or we'll have no fish left which won't really suit anyone.

Hmm if only all those Euroskeptics could actually understand this very logical point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Will the people of Iceland have an opportunity to vote on the European Constitution? or is it a case of beggars can't be choosers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Ok at the mo laws dont allow horses to be imported into Iceland. If they get EU membership will this change that law?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Will the people of Iceland have an opportunity to vote on the European Constitution? or is it a case of beggars can't be choosers.

Eh, there is no European Constitution, though I'm sure many will tell them there is.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Eh, there is no European Constitution, though I'm sure many will tell them there is.

Declan Ganley probably has his flight already booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

jenzz wrote: »
    Ok at the mo laws dont allow horses to be imported into Iceland. If they get EU membership will this change that law?

What an unusual question...

Why should the law be changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jenzz wrote: »
    Is there travelers in Iceland? :confused:

enda1 wrote: »
    What an unusual question...

Why should the law be changed?

The common market, would that not be a form of protectionism??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

turgon wrote: »
    The common market, would that not be a form of protectionism??

I don't know why they have the law but I'm guessing its related to the balance of their ecosystem. So being an Island nation they have every right torestrict the travel of live animals as a "protectionist" measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

kevteljeur wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I sort of thought that Iceland generally valued it's neutrality.

I thought Kefvalvik in Iceland was a vitally important air base for the US and NATO during the Cold War?

Doesn't sound very neutral.

Advertisement