Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Straps, Do you use them?

• 30-01-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people here do use camera straps?
    I just prefer carrying my camera around in its bag and never actually found the need for the strap... But something tells me i should have it on...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My camera straps are well used and well worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I usually have the neck strap doubled over around my wrist rather than hanging around my neck, it doesn't feel natural walking around town with the camera around my neck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I'm very conscious of how ridiculous i look with the strap round my neck like a tourist, but it's so handy for sceurity and ease of being able to lift the camera to my eye. If i keep the thing in the bag it means having to fuss to take it out when i see a shot. Over the shoulder is handy enough but it slips too easily. I get a cold sweat thinking about not using a strap at all, with the dropping, or the stealing... *shudder*

I now and again do the wrapping around my wrist thing but it'd be nice to actually have a proper wrist strap that doesn't require a battery grip :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am in the habit of putting it around my neck when I get it out. It has saved an expensive drop quite often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

CabanSail wrote: »
    I am in the habit of putting it around my neck when I get it out.

Kudos to you sir. That's quite a talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭feileacan

i changed my strap from the canon (which i never really used) to this

http://www.blackrapid.com/

its much more comfortable, easier to use the camera and you look less like a tourist.

i have no commercial interest in this company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

rymus wrote: »
    'That's what she said'

Tbh, I've not used my strap in ages, I have the Canon hand strap, works perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

On the 40d, I use both the hand, and shoulder strap, on the 350d, just the shoulder one.

feileacan wrote: »

Wah ha! I've been looking for something like that for ages. Couldnt think of who made them. Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Over my shoulder when walking about, around my wrist a few time when taking pics, especially at gigs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Straps are good... when you don't have a strap you drop your camera and your lens gets fux0red!

3146114216_138a237cde_m.jpg

tilt shift fail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

rymus wrote: »
    When I get it out it's not hidden either laughing-smiley-017.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

its much more comfortable, easier to use the camera and you look less like a tourist.

Is that a shoulder strap?

Looking like a deranged tourist is my biggest fear for using the neck strap.
    But then without it i don't feel very secure about just holding my camera in my hand. I always have the fear of "what if it slips...!" in the back of my head...

I think the idea of doubling up the neck strap around the wrist is a good idea. I might try that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

never round my neck, i dont think they're made for the neck anyway, they're shoulder straps no? quite dangerous having them round your neck. I always wrap the strap round my wrist... saved alot of falls especially at gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I don't use the neck strap, an odd time I wrap the strap around my wrist, the wrist straps sound interesting, where would I get too see/purchase one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Nisio wrote: »
    I usually have the neck strap doubled over around my wrist rather than hanging around my neck, it doesn't feel natural walking around town with the camera around my neck

Ditto.

Like Elvin said I'd feel like a tourist and anyway I think the straps are too short to wear comfortably around the neck or maybe ts just my big belly getting in the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Actually there's one that doesn't seem to need a battery grip I just found:

http://www.camdapter.com/products.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Fajitas! wrote: »
    'That's what she said'

Tbh, I've not used my strap in ages, I have the Canon hand strap, works perfect.

i made the newbie mistake of buying the handstrap, but i don't have a battery pack :o

at the mo the neck strap isn't on my camera. when it is on i usually have it wrapped around my hand and over the shoulder when i'm walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Don't like the constriction around the neck but a few near drops forces the precaution. When walking I sling it sideways so it's not bouncing off the solar plexus. Was a total lifesaver one day when I was distracted and didn't clip the camera into the pod head properly, the camera fell off but the strap caught on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I used to use the shoulder/neck strap on my D80 wrapped around my wrist but found it awkward so got a hand strap, this one to be exact:
    http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=10164

It uses the strap loop on the side of the camera and the other end has a base which screws into the universal screw on the bottom of the camera. It also has another universal screw receiver so you can still mount it on a tripod while the strap is attached.

I love it and makes wandering around with the camera a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Looking like a tourist isn't necessarily a bad thing...

ditto.. also mine 'bounces' while I walk which is irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

In the bag and always around neck... don't care about looking touristy if it saves the camera from fallin (can't even think about that happenig aargh!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I always wear the neck strap. I usually hold it when walking around so it doesn't bounce against me either.

I think there are enough photographers out there taking pictures of their own cities that having a camera around your neck doesn't necessarily mean you're a tourist. I mean, if you're snapping pictures of buildings with a disposable camera, it's a good bet. But with a higher end compact or a dSLR, it's not always a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I bought a lowpro"voyager C" for about €15, its way more comfy than the Nikon strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Camera Strap is for me essential when shooting outdoors. I need both hands to handle so many things, from purse, through memory cards to car keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I use my strap similar to R-Strap ads; always have done, particularly under a jacket.
    Though it was easier with older slimmer film SLRs.

Incidently some of the boys in Chad have taken to carrying their rifles in this fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

whats the problem with tourists???
    some people are sooo self conscious!! :)

i've had a few close ones with cameras slipping off my shoulder
    i had hand strap on one of my previous cameras but found that a lot of the time i didnt use it
    that rstrap one looks interesting - dont like the idea of hooking it to a tripod mounting plate tho, a 1 series camera would/might tear out the little D-ring!!

and

we used to carry rifles like that years and years ago it's not really a new thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Never!
    neck strap is in the box still in it's original wrapper

I use a hand and wrist strap
    520e_1_sbl.JPG

(picture off ebay, not me but same product) very handy for walking, you let your fingers go and the whole weight of the camera+lens pulls from your arm and not your hand
    specially handy when you suffer from wrist pain if you carry something like a nikon d300 and 70-200 vr or 24-70 2.8 for long

btw, if I need both hands I always have a toploader 75aw in front of me, drop the camera secure inside and of I go with both hands, better than a hanging camera that can get in the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks for that. Looks the biz. Think i'll get one....

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

My strap rubs my neck and gives me strap burn for want of a better word.

If i'm wearing a hoodie i put it under the hood round the back of my neck. Much better and more comfort

Me always uses a strap. Can't trust myself not to let it fall over a bridge or something silly when taking a pic :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

this thread has made me consider getting a hand strap just to see if it's nicer to use.

This one is pretty good value and comes with an adapter since I don't have a battery grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I haven't put the strap on the new camera yet but can say this, basically, I miss it. The camera seems to weigh a tonne without it. Admittedly said camera has a flash and a macro lens attached to it but it feels very heavy all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

I was waiting to take a photo of a gardening expert at the Bloom festival in Dublin last year. It was long winded so I decided to go for a bit of light refreshment. I always have my strap around my neck but just this once I let the camera rest on my knees. When I got up the camera fell onto my shoe (steel toes). It wasn't hard really but it was enought to break the lens and smash the read out at the back...... I always try to have my strap on, no matter how daft I look. The camera is one of the Canon eos 350's and they are really very small and can be a bit fiddly to hold. A grip might be a good idea

Cheers

Ian

Advertisement