Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henna in Galway

Options
  • 30-01-2009 2:24pm

Does anyone know where does Henna tattoos in Galway? Preferably if the established tattoo parlours do them.

I want to get a tattoo, but would like to get the one I want done in henna, to see if I like it or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't help you there, but I admire the way you are going about it. I know loads of people with tat's they don't like. Too many maui tattoos out there for my liking actually but everyone to their own.

If you pop into one of the tattoo shops they'll be able to help you i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You'd have much better luck in the summer, when all the travelling street jewellery and henna heads are here. Try putting a note up in Galway Social Space notice board asking for someone who is an EXPERIENCED henna artist (I'd use those words to get what you want!) and leave your number. There are a lot of arty types passing through Social Space :D

The thing is that I'd rather get it from someone who is qualified (if that's possible?) just because I know the implications of henna (i.e. that girl who was left with terrible scars after)

I might ask in the tattoo parlours next time I'm in town and see if they know of anything.
    Can't help you there, but I admire the way you are going about it. I know loads of people with tat's they don't like. Too many maui tattoos out there for my liking actually but everyone to their own.

If you pop into one of the tattoo shops they'll be able to help you i'd say.

Yeah, I know people who were like that too. I just don't want to run into anything only to not like it and then be stuck with it forever. Least with a henna tattoo, if I don't like it it'd be gone in 2 weeks.

The thing is that I'd rather get it from someone who is qualified (if that's possible?) just because I know the implications of henna (i.e. that girl who was left with terrible scars after)

I might ask in the tattoo parlours next time I'm in town and see if they know of anything.

Wow! I never heard of ANYONE hurt from a henna tattoo:eek: Perhaps what happened is that the person had a tattoo with so called 'black' henna (no such thing) or with an ammonia dye mixed with henna. I know a fair bit about them (but don't do them) as I worked in the coffee shop next door to a tat shop in the States and the lads did henna too.

You are fairly safe using anyone if it is only henna. Ask to see their work first, that's a given!

Here is a link that may help you

inisboffin wrote: »
    Wow! I never heard of ANYONE hurt from a henna tattoo:eek: Perhaps what happened is that the person had a tattoo with so called 'black' henna (no such thing) or with an ammonia dye mixed with henna. I know a fair bit about them (but don't do them) as I worked in the coffee shop next door to a tat shop in the States and the lads did henna too.

You are fairly safe using anyone if it is only henna. Ask to see their work first, that's a given!

Here is a link that may help you

I can't remember the full details behind what happened, and can't find any news articles online (at this moment) but I do know metalworks has the original article on their wall.

• Advertisement

I can't remember the full details behind what happened, and can't find any news articles online (at this moment) but I do know metalworks has the original article on their wall.

I found this with a google..looks like that was the incident
    Looks like what I mentioned above, either an ammonia additive or a chemical.
    Proper henna tattoos are never pure black, but the link I left has a new safe way to make them black.
    You can always buy your own henna, it's cheap, if you are wary, but I'd just suss the person out and be sure they are using pure henna (just ask to see the powder beforehand).
    Henna only gets nasty if you eat it! It's kind of like the tea plant.

Just found this on the (cbbc news ha ha! well informed kids!)

What are the different types of henna?

Actually, there is only one type of henna - pure brown henna. This is pretty harmless to skin and hair. It's unusual to have an allergic reaction to brown henna.

However, there is also something called black henna, which people can have a bad allergic reaction to. Black henna is made by mixing natural brown henna with a chemical dye called PPD (which stands for paraphenylenediamine).

Under European rules, it is illegal to use PPD in black henna.

Black henna is much more likely to cause an allergic reaction, and can leave some people with permanent scarring. Some people have even been killed after having a black henna tattoo.

Advertisement