Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband recommendations

Options
  • 30-01-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I know there is a forum for Broadband in general but I am looking at getting Broadband installed and wanted to hear of peoples experiences with their provider in Limerick city area.
    Don't want to go with eircom coz of the phone line rental charge.
    Don't want to go near 3g / o2 / vodafone type service either.
    We are near Caherdavin so think we have the option of getting Broadband through the Chorus TV cable (3mb download speed for €28 a month)
    others have Irish Broadband and say it is good.

How good/bad is your Broadband service + whos it with?

maybe PM if you need to say anything libelous :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Have Chorus unlimited downloads, no complaints

Very fast connection:)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

I'm in Raheen and have Chorus BB 3MB through my cable. Its fast and reliable, also have it routed wirelessly throughout the apartment and even this is pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Think eircom you can get 3mb broadband for the price of 1mb.

Id say eircom, they are pretty reliable and i have been getting broadband off them for about 5 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 neonheartbeat

i have chorus and i've never had problems.

i'd def recommend them in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

chorus BB is the job, never let me down in fairness, plus there are rumours on the cable tv forum that they are upgrading theyre 3mb customers to 10mb in april!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

sweeet! thanks for the recommendations
    I'll prob go for Chorus so if the budget will allow!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

im moving apartments soon and ditching eircom in favour of chorus,better download/upload speeds for half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

rok wrote: »
    sweeet! thanks for the recommendations
    I'll prob go for Chorus so if the budget will allow!

I live in Caherdavin and have UTV internet. Never had a problem with them at all.

7.6mb only 23.99 a month.

Free connection, free modem.

First 3 months free.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I live in Caherdavin and have UTV internet. Never had a problem with them at all.

7.6mb only 23.99 a month.

Free connection, free modem.

First 3 months free.

You need line rental for that though don't you so that's actually closer to 50 quid a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Roadend wrote: »
    You need line rental for that though don't you so that's actually closer to 50 quid a month

Sorry,

Your absolutely right. You see the package I'm on now with UTV is the handle all my telephone bills as well as internet. IMO they have the best bargain of all the phone companies.

I have Evening & Weekend calls for up to 60 minutes per call included to Landlines in UK and Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and I don't have to pay line rental to Eircom just 10 euro to UTV.

They also do my internet and I forgot about line rental if your not on their phone package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Seeing as Eircom still control the network to a point, there is no point going with anyone else should your line have any problems, I know this having worked with a telecommunications company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

i've BT broadband. 2 megs, unlimited download and free landline calls to england and ireland. 45 quid a month. perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Think eircom you can get 3mb broadband for the price of 1mb.

Id say eircom, they are pretty reliable and i have been getting broadband off them for about 5 years now.

No offence LD... but they are a joke, always have been... Have UPC for the last year and the BB is excellent. 20 megs and TV and phone for 80 yoyo's per month...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

if i was living in the city i would go with upc....best value and your always going to get higher speeds over the cable network..max over adsl most people will see is 8mb. Another option is Digiweb, supposed to be good. I cant get either of these so i am on BT, 48e per month, 7.6Mb, and includes line rental....best part is unlimited downloads which is a must for me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I am also with Chorus/UPC. Only just got it in Lately. Fast and reliable. I have no complints so far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Gotta put in a good word for smart with them 4 years and no trouble with them connection always solid at 4 meg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

if you don't need the broadband for work and it just for yourself i'd go with chorus really good value..

If you're gonna need the broadband for work go with eircom more expensive but much more reliable, i know of a few people who have chorus and it has gone of for a day or two randomly just not working every now and again(it doesn't bother them cause they don't need it).. i have eircom and it never goes down..i'd move to chorus because its cheaper only for the fact that my dad needs the broadband always to be working, so chorus isn't reallly an option at the moment..
    Chorus definatley better value especially with the speeds they have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

I signed up for a package that eircom were running which was 3mb bb and 1 years free access to setanta sports online. Seemed like a good deal but after a month setanta stopped working. I got in contact with eircom and they just said they don't do it anymore. I asked "what about the 1 year contract?" and was told they had replaced the setanta online service with some other "video clip" service which I have no interest in. Setanta was handy for me for magners league rugby, I don't really want a poor mans youtube as a substitute. Anyway, moral of the story, don't trust eircom...

Advertisement