Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers - where are they now?

• 30-01-2009 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

hope this goes down well, im sure theres been a few likes this in the past, but here goes.

was watching a game last week on setanta from the blue square premier and paul parker was on it. so got me thinking, i wonder where most of the ex players are now, even players that maybe still playing. so here is my attempt, i will concentrate on a few ex united players, feel free to add more -
    the neil webb story is an eye opener, im sure theres loads more like it.

Paul Parker

Parker is now employed as an ambassador for the Blue Square Premier League - the highest division of non-league football.
    Paul has ventured into media punditry and from August will be the lead co-commentator with Steve Bower on Setanta Sports exclusively live Conference National coverage.

Luke Chadwick.

joined MK dons around christmas on a 2 and 1/2 year deal.

Massimo Taibi

is still playing,currently for ascoli.

william prunier

After a brief spell in the United Arab Emirates, he retired from football in 2004 and is currently a coach at AS Cannes.:eek::eek::eek: On 4 February 2007, he appeared on Sky Sports giving an intro and his point of view on the 4-1 defeat against Tottenham Hotspur in 1996.

Neil Webb

After Webb left Reading, he could occasionally be found selling programmes at Reading F.C.'s Madejski Stadium.
    He soon started working with The Score Television Network in Canada as their English football correspondent for their "Sportsworld" and "Footy Show" programs. He is on every Sunday, and gives his opinion on the happenings of the English Premier League (EPL) and the world of football. He finished his job as a postman, and now works for Charlton Athletic F.C., a Championship side

Clayton Blackmore

Having made well over 150 appearances for Bangor, including appearances in both the UEFA Cup and the Intertoto Cup, Blackmore was appointed manager in January 2006 following the departure of Davenport, but resigned on 4 November 2006 following a 2-0 Welsh Cup 3rd Round defeat at Y Traeth against Porthmadog.
    Blackmore originally agreed to stay at Farrar Road in a playing capacity, but, following the appointment of former Peterborough manager, Steve Bleasdale, as the Citizens' manager, the former Wales and Manchester United star was released and promptly signed for Porthmadog. In January 2008, a 43-year-old Blackmore signed for hometown club Neath Athletic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Who? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Who? :confused:

yes, football did exist pre sky sports too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    yes, football did exist pre sky sports too.

I'm just saying these are nobodies. What's Ian Rush up tp? Lee Sharpe? Baggio? Alridge? Pallister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

All ex-United players too

So the only way is down.

:)

I'm just saying these are nobodies?

:eek::eek::eek:

Paul Parker a nobody?
    Neil Webb a nobody?
    Clayton blackmore a nobody?

please explain?

so we cant talk about former players unless they are superstars? ive seen all the players you mentioned there on setanta or sky sports except for baggio in the last week alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm just saying these are nobodies.

Parker was hardly a nobody. He could even be viewed on Sky at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

:eek::eek::eek:

Paul Parker a nobody?
    Neil Webb a nobody?
    Clayton blackmore a nobody?

please explain?

so we cant talk about former players unless they are superstars? ive seen all the players you mentioned there on setanta or sky sports except for baggio in the last week alone.

To be honest I don't think anyone cares about Luke Chadwick.
    He never really played for United and spent most oh his career in journeyman style among the lower leagues or warming the bench for a bigger club.

Frisbee wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think anyone cares about Luke Chadwick.
    He never really played for United and spent most oh his career in journeyman style among the lower leagues or warming the bench for a bigger club.

chadwick is a legend, he scored a winner against leeds. i was even asked about him 2 times this week as to what he was doing now.

to be honest, the lads on my list are famous for something or another,

chadwick - being the ugliest player to play for united and score a winner v leeds
    blackmore - clearing the ball off the line in the last minutev barcelona in 91 final and being the first footballer to wear fake tan.
    taibi - enough said
    prunier - enough said

chadwick is a legend, he scored a winner against leeds. i was even asked about him 2 times this week as to what he was doing now.

to be honest, the lads on my list are famous for something or another,

chadwick - being the ugliest player to play for united and score a winner v leeds
    blackmore - clearing the ball off the line in the last minutev barcelona in 91 final and being the first footballer to wear fake tan.
    taibi - enough said
    prunier - enough said

Chadwick - I really can't see anyone caring, he was useless tbf.
    Taibi - Famour for a howler.

Chadwick - I really can't see anyone caring, he was useless tbf.
    Taibi - Famour for a howler.

sorry, what point are you making? youve lost me now

• Advertisement

sorry, what point are you making? youve lost me now

My point is that I can't really see anyone caring about Luke Chadwicks, epitome of mediocre, journeyman career through the lower leagues. Alot of people probably don't even know who he is/was.

My point is that I can't really see anyone caring about Luke Chadwicks, epitome of mediocre, journeyman career through the lower leagues. Alot of people probably don't even know who he is/was.

so go on, bring up some players that people will care about. and to be fair, Luke Chadwick would be one of the most well known lesser/shi*e players of the past 10 years due to his charming features. if this was a united forum, id start a "do u know who luke chadwick thread is" to see if this is true, but theres enough pointless threads lately on here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

To continue on the thread, Chris Morris - ex of Celtic and right back for the Republic of Ireland at our very first World Cup. Anyone know??

so go on, bring up some players that people will care about. and to be fair, Luke Chadwick would be one of the most well known lesser/shi*e players of the past 10 years due to his charming features. if this was a united forum, id start a "do u know who luke chadwick thread is" to see if this is true, but theres enough pointless threads lately on here!!!

So your saying people should remember Chadwick because of his looks?
    I want to thank you for basically affirming my side of the debate if that is the main thing he will be remembered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Steve Staunton.....? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Djemba Djemba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

There was an ex-PL player on 'A place in the sun' last night. I missed where it said who he was but the GF thought they said Spurs full back from about 10 years ago. I have no idea who he was, but he was spending £1m on a house in France so he still has a few quid kicking about. Think his name was Jason or Justin or sommit.

Any time i was in the Middle East or South East Asia there were usually a few blasts from the past doing the EPL coverage out there. Steve McMahon (legend), think Paul Walsh as well.

Trilla wrote: »
    Djemba Djemba?

On 16 July 2008, Djemba-Djemba signed a 3-year contract with Danish outfit Odense Boldklub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There is an elephants graveyard for ex footballers .To many to mention .

Remember Peter Houseman ,Peter Osgood, Ian Hutchinson ?

( all deceased ex chelsea footballers from the 70s / 80s era ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

most people wont know this player Michael Reddy.
    he started at Kilkenny City and got a move to Sunderland.
    he was very highly rated but never produced and bounced about on load from club to club in the lower english divisions!

i read about him recently and look what happened when he left Grimsby Town!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Reddy

Greenland and Falkland Islands

After failing to secure a contract with an English club, Reddy signed up for Greenlandic club FC Malamuk, and then moved to Port Stanley Albion in the Falkland Islands after meeting and marrying a Falkland Island native at the 2007 Greenland Fishing Festival. They now have 1 child, named Helmut Jr, named after his wife's father, Helmut Snr, a well known Falkland Island fisherman who was regularly interviewed on the BBC during the Falklands Conflict.[citation needed]

Retirement

Michael retired from football due to hip problems, and is currently in the process of completing his coaching badge with the English FA. Reddy is the first student to take advantage of the FA's new "remote teaching programme". Lessons are delivered via an Internet Video link to his home in the Falkland Islands. Reddy has gone on record to say that this can sometimes be frustrating as Internet Connectivity in the Falkland Islands is quite primitive, with most homes only having a 28.8 kbp/s internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Wayne Bridge

Wayne amazingly got back into football and can now be seen playing for Manchester City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I remember his debut I think. didn't he score a rebound from a penalty? not sure who against though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ex Liverpool right back Rob Jones opened up a creche with his missus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronny Johnsen

When looking out for players in the Premiership Draft I found out that he only recently retired from the game. He was with Valerenga back in Norway. I always thought he was a solid pro who at times put in some very impressive displays. I wish him a happy retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

most people wont know this player Michael Reddy.
    he started at Kilkenny City and got a move to Sunderland.
    he was very highly rated but never produced and bounced about on load from club to club in the lower english divisions!

i read about him recently and look what happened when he left Grimsby Town!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Reddy

Greenland and Falkland Islands

After failing to secure a contract with an English club, Reddy signed up for Greenlandic club FC Malamuk, and then moved to Port Stanley Albion in the Falkland Islands after meeting and marrying a Falkland Island native at the 2007 Greenland Fishing Festival. They now have 1 child, named Helmut Jr, named after his wife's father, Helmut Snr, a well known Falkland Island fisherman who was regularly interviewed on the BBC during the Falklands Conflict.[citation needed]

Retirement

Michael retired from football due to hip problems, and is currently in the process of completing his coaching badge with the English FA. Reddy is the first student to take advantage of the FA's new "remote teaching programme". Lessons are delivered via an Internet Video link to his home in the Falkland Islands. Reddy has gone on record to say that this can sometimes be frustrating as Internet Connectivity in the Falkland Islands is quite primitive, with most homes only having a 28.8 kbp/s internet connection.

There's something very fishy about the account of Reddy's career after Grimsby

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ibh wrote: »
    There was an ex-PL player on 'A place in the sun' last night. I missed where it said who he was but the GF thought they said Spurs full back from about 10 years ago. I have no idea who he was, but he was spending £1m on a house in France so he still has a few quid kicking about. Think his name was Jason or Justin or sommit.

Justin Edinburgh maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Frank Stapleton works as a comedian - Seen him on tele a few times and he's not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

ibh wrote: »

Any time i was in the Middle East or South East Asia there were usually a few blasts from the past doing the EPL coverage out there. Steve McMahon (legend), think Paul Walsh as well.

could be Jason Cundy, ex chelsea/spurs, he's a pundit on setanta/sky and also on talksport. Him and his wife are meant to be mad for fame/attention

edit:

yep it's Jason Cundy

http://www.lizziecundy.com/site/

could be Jason Cundy, ex chelsea/spurs, he's a pundit on setanta/sky and also on talksport. Him and his wife are meant to be mad for fame/attention

edit:

yep it's Jason Cundy

yea thats him alright. Seemed like a bit of a tool. Don't remember him at all though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

nuxxx wrote: »
    Henry.

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

edit:

yep it's Jason Cundy

Jason Cundy, now that is a blast from the past.

Scored a freak goal for Spurs v Ipswich in the second ever 'Ford Super Sunday' game on Sky in 1992, he went into a 50/50 challenge at the half way line and managed to clear the ball, the wind caught it and it went into the net.

Of course in the interview afterwards he said, 'well I spotted the keeper slightly off his line so I said I'd have a go...'

Now can anyone remember the name of the QPR striker who go at least 3 against Man Utd on New Years Day 1991 or 1992 ?

Jason Cundy, now that is a blast from the past.

Scored a freak goal for Spurs v Ipswich in the second ever 'Ford Super Sunday' game on Sky in 1992, he went into a 50/50 challenge at the half way line and managed to clear the ball, the wind caught it and it went into the net.

Of course in the interview afterwards he said, 'well I spotted the keeper slightly off his line so I said I'd have a go...'

Now can anyone remember the name of the QPR striker who go at least 3 against Man Utd on New Years Day 1991 or 1992 ?

I remember it happening but can't remember his name. Think it was around the time that Andy Sinton was playing for QPR. Think they won 4-0 or 4-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dennis Bailey i remember that match, **** im old

dennis-bailey_1111479c.jpg

And theres paul Parker :D

What i win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Stevie Nicol manager of New England Revolution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Where did Gary Breen go?

Where did Gary Breen go?

He's player/coach at Barnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well what really sickens me here is the guy who said

Neill Webb? Who?

Shocking really. And a sad reflection on the knowledge of some people on here.

On Frank Stapleton, I lived in the US at the time the MLS started up and Frank was manager of the New England Revolution. He wanted them to play good football not the hoofing that was going on over there at the time, and they got off to a bad start. Then the superstar of American soccer who was playing for New England, the great Alexei Lalas:rolleyes:, started missing training sessions in order to shoot commercials and do other stuff, and Frank told him he had no future at the club unless he took his job(the soccer one) more seriously. The team improved but Lalas kept going missing and Frank dropped him for one game which they lost. Lalas went to the media claiming he was being unfairly treated, and Frank got the sack a couple of weeks later even though the Revolution had started to show good form. Disgraceful imo.

eagle eye wrote: »

Neill Webb? Who?

Fergies hope of a sober bryan robson :D

decent player but think he was injured and never really came back from it

Neill Webb? Who?

Good player he was, sad to see that things didn't turn out great for him after he quit football. I used to enjoy Standing Room Only, the show his ex-missus Shelley Webb co-presented, but nobody I've spoken to about it seems to remember it at all. It was kind of like a tv equivalent of When Saturday Comes (the magazine, not the crap Sean Bean film).

• Advertisement

Neill Webb? Who?

You have to remember man, alot of people who post on the forum weren't born/old enough to understand footie back then

In fairness you cant really slate anyone for knowledge (or lack off) football players pre their era.

Not many people had the pleasure of Rothmans books.

And what the hell happened to that, seen one the other day it was a glorified Premier League Advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    In fairness you cant really slate anyone for knowledge (or lack off) football players pre their era.

In fairness, people should be using the internet to research their lack of knowledge rather than lay it bare here for everyone to snigger at

In fairness, people should be using the internet to research their lack of knowledge rather than lay it bare here for everyone to snigger at

So you can form an opinion of ....lets say Paulo Sousa based on the internet?

What do you think of him?

/btw assuming you never seen him play and that im older than you :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Zaph wrote: »
    Good player he was, sad to see that things didn't turn out great for him after he quit football. I used to enjoy Standing Room Only, the show his ex-missus Shelley Webb co-presented, but nobody I've spoken to about it seems to remember it at all. It was kind of like a tv equivalent of When Saturday Comes (the magazine, not the crap Sean Bean film).

I remember her being in a late night football show with Domininc Diamond on channel 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Didn't really see him play other than on TV in Euro 96 (I think). I could find out a lot about him from the internet, enough to stop me saying Sousa who!

BTW, I am probably older than you :p

Didn't really see him play other than on TV in Euro 96 (I think). I could find out a lot about him from the internet, enough to stop me saying Sousa who!

BTW, I am probably older than you :p

but in fairness "Sousa Who" is an honest answer, if anything your next post will/should tell someone who this guy was and why they never heard off him. And how good he is, better than googling him and forming an opinion based off the internet.

being old doesnt mean you can be a snob about football, the "i know more than you" crap doesnt really come across well on forums but in a pub/RL when you say "sweet god he was ****ing awesome" people generally take that easier than being a called a newb to football or clueless gob****e.

Sousa was awesome, shame him and golden generation won nothing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Theres a huge difference between forming an opinion on a player and just knowing who somebody was.
    I know most of the names of footballers who played internationally for Ireland, England, Brazil and some other countries from long before I was born. I'm not going to say he was the best ever or lacked in some ways because I did not see him play.
    Its like the people who say George Best was the greatest footballer ever, well I never seen him play live, I've seen some highlights of the man playing which lead me to understand why he was so highly rated but I still don't go and name him in a list of the best footballers of all time because I cannot make an assessment on how good he was, so instead I'll pick who imo were the best I've ever seen and not an all time list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Best who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gabriel Batistuta lives here in Perth with his family. Haven't bumped into him yet though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement