Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hygiene in Dun Laoghaire Barber

Options
  • 30-01-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Just came out from this underground barber in Dun Laoghaire. When my hair was half way cut I realized the sterilizer thing where they normally put combs and scissors was empty. I decided it was not the time to raise the issue, but as soon as the guy finished I quietly asked him how were they cleaning their equipment since they seemed to be out of sterilizer. He said they run out of it this morning. I picked the container checked inside and told him that it had been empty for days, at least.

At that point I just got a bit louder to ensure all waiting heard it and told them that was crazy. What if someone comes in with head lice or a skin infection? The answer I got was that they wouldn't cut their hair :rolleyes:

Anyway, two things I want to do. First i will be going back every time I have a chance and if the containers are still empty I will ask loudly when do they intend to start cleaning their equipment.

The second thing is that I want to know if their is any authority that would look into this. This is a health threat and they shouldn't get away with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Is that the one on upper georges st ? If so remind me to not go there !

Dont know about who to refer it to - the council should know but I really doubt that. you could try giving them a ring. Health & safety inspectors ought to cover any place that can have a hygiene impact on the public like that and not just food establishments imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

No, it is the one downstairs in the shopping centre.

Thanks for the idea to contact the CC. I will give that a go.

Apaprently the CC doesn't look into these issues. Any other ideas? These guys have to be accountable to someone.

You could try these people :

http://www.irishhairfed.com/

they may know who to contact.

Sent them an email, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Morlar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

these guys might help:

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Enforcement/

bullpost wrote: »

I would have thought that they would be the ones the council would send out but maybe not, they do look like the right people to address this to.

I have seen this kind of thing before in other barbers and it really winds me up. Also barbers who swap scissors/combs mid way through cutting hair and that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There's a barber in Artane, Dublin.
    Uses one of those old fashioned (Sweeny Todd) razors on your neck for a haircut.

It's never sterilised. So realy if someone gets nicked and has blood on the razor who knows what happens.
    For sure, it was used on several people while I've waited and while nobody was cut, it's not ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 finbar01

Zynks wrote: »
    Just came out from this underground barber in Dun Laoghaire. When my hair was half way cut I realized the sterilizer thing where they normally put combs and scissors was empty. I decided it was not the time to raise the issue, but as soon as the guy finished I quietly asked him how were they cleaning their equipment since they seemed to be out of sterilizer. He said they run out of it this morning. I picked the container checked inside and told him that it had been empty for days, at least.

At that point I just got a bit louder to ensure all waiting heard it and told them that was crazy. What if someone comes in with head lice or a skin infection? The answer I got was that they wouldn't cut their hair :rolleyes:

Anyway, two things I want to do. First i will be going back every time I have a chance and if the containers are still empty I will ask loudly when do they intend to start cleaning their equipment.

The second thing is that I want to know if their is any authority that would look into this. This is a health threat and they shouldn't get away with it.
    i am a customer of that barbers for 5 years and have never thought it was unhygenic they always put combes into blue sterilizer liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

finbar01 wrote: »
    i am a customer of that barbers for 5 years and have never thought it was unhygenic they always put combes into blue sterilizer liquid.
    That;s the whole point of this thread, it wasn't in the steriliser liquid.

• Advertisement

Actually there was no blue liquid at all. They said they ran out of it in the morning. Not sure how you can run out of it. There wasn't a single drop of it in the container.

In any case all the cuts of the day until three PM where made with the same gear and no sterilisation by their own admission.

Did you register just to post this comment?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did you register just to post this comment?

Registered 30-01-2009

yes it very much looks like he did register just to post that comment :)

The barbers saying the wouldn't cut someone's hair if they had head lice is bull****, they'll start cutting before they'd notice and nobody is going to announce that they have headlice before hand.

Very dodgy to be honest..

My wife just called me. She is outside the barber and they have filled their containers with the blue liquid and apparently they are also using a spray in their hands for extra cleaning. Not sure if this thread has reached them, but I am certainly happy with the outcome.

I will cease following up with HSA and CC on this and just hope I didn't catch anything yesterday. :(

Thanks for your help guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

My wife just called me. She is outside the barber and they have filled their containers with the blue liquid and apparently they are also using a spray in their hands for extra cleaning. Not sure if this thread has reached them, but I am certainly happy with the outcome.

I will cease following up with HSA and CC on this and just hope I didn't catch anything yesterday. :(

Good job zynks. What annoys me is the fact they waited until someone complained before taking care of hygiene of their equipment. Shocking really. Its horrible to think that you have to remind someone these days about hygiene especially in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Lucan library's public toilet never has any soap. Imagine the germs all over the books.. Must phone them up and question them about it.

July wrote: »
    Lucan library's public toilet never has any soap. Imagine the germs all over the books.. Must phone them up and question them about it.

I was looking at this old lady licking her fingers before she turned a page of a book at a coffee place today and kept thinking about your post....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Judging by the below post, I'm sure it did.

Advertisement