Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad day for Waterford?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume those who got the factory into the mess wont be involved in the new offer. Otherwise its just going to be a cycle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

are they still down there. Might pop down for the feck of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    I assume those who got the factory into the mess wont be involved in the new offer. Otherwise its just going to be a cycle...

Well, John Foley was the CEO during a lot of the good years and he's involved in the Clairion bid. As is your man Cameron of Wedgewood. So who knows what's going to happen.

But I think this means the company as it was is now gone and the employees are now redundant. And if it's bought then whoever the new crowd need effectively have to start their employment with them again leaving the redundant employees out with just their statutory.

Although, if someone new does decide to come in, they'll have to negotiate something with those they're not keeping on and those who've already gone or else they'll get no co-operation and wouldn't be able to function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

seanybiker wrote: »
    are they still down there. Might pop down for the feck of it

Really doesnt sound like something anyone should be 'popping down to for the feck of it' tbh Seany. People's jobs at stake here and emotions are bound to be running very high. Its not some sort of soap opera or spectator sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ahyeah

sfmonet wrote: »
    Again this is in respect to OUR SITUATION!

Fair enough. Apologies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Thats goodbye to my part-time job :(
    Wish I was at home so I could join them.
    Really sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

KevIRL wrote: »
    Really doesnt sound like something anyone should be 'popping down to for the feck of it' tbh Seany. People's jobs at stake here and emotions are bound to be running very high. Its not some sort of soap opera or spectator sport

We should be going down there to show our solidarity with the workers. Stand by them. Their struggle is our struggle too you know.

Partizan wrote: »
    We should be going down there to show our solidarity with the workers. Stand by them. Their struggle is our struggle too you know.

Yeah, if I was off I'd be down there in a shot. But I'm in work until 9 and I suppose I need to look after my own job first. SIPTU have come out asking its members to support the Waterford Crystal workers. And David Begg of ICTU spoke on it too:

"General Secretary of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions David Begg has warned that the move to close Waterford Crystal today could discourage potential investors from buying the plant.
    Mr Begg said the news had come as quite a shock, adding that he had been in touch with Waterford Crytsal union representatives and with senior Government officials to see if they can do anything to stop this."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

so will Waterford get a task force like limerick ???????? just passed the RTE wagon heading out the cork road , are there still people out in in( vistiors centre and carpark) da glass even at this stage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah, if I was off I'd be down there in a shot. But I'm in work until 9 and I suppose I need to look after my own job first. SIPTU have come out asking its members to support the Waterford Crystal workers. And David Begg of ICTU spoke on it too:

"General Secretary of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions David Begg has warned that the move to close Waterford Crystal today could discourage potential investors from buying the plant.
    Mr Begg said the news had come as quite a shock, adding that he had been in touch with Waterford Crytsal union representatives and with senior Government officials to see if they can do anything to stop this."

Fair play to your old man. I'm a WP supporter and we do have members inside the factory too. I'll be down in Waterford tomorrow and will head out to show my support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

news is they're all staying put at the gallery, 140 at a time, apparantly the govt are intervening too.
    the security crowd from dublin were responsible for shoving that guys head into the glass door btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

sfmonet wrote: »
    My partner works at B&L and when he told me the news he was more worried about how I would react, since I am a major worrier. All I know is he said B&L were bought out by a German crowd last year or so. There's too much inventory being made and not enough product selling, hence the closure.

Sorry to get off topic, I just know that a lot of people are now in this situation and maybe people are just going to have to deal with reality a little bit like all the B&L workers are doing....its called the trickle down effect I believe.

Right now he's just happy that there is still a job. Its to be reviewed again in July.

The jobs are not being reviewed in July but on a constant basis. We have auditors in the factory who are looking at ways of reducing costs. There is no talks of redundancies or anything like that. So for the minute it's just keep the heads down and work away and deal with the weeks off when they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

ahyeah wrote: »
    Hardly that simple these days is it? If it was this thread wouldn't even be happening would it?
    ****ing sick of people on Boards telling unemployed people to get off their arses etc. I've spent the last 6 months looking for a job and I can tell you for a fact, it's not as simple as you seem to think.:mad:

On topic, it's a disgrace that workers with 20 or even 30 years service can be let go without even a pension and you see the massive pay offs CEO's etc are getting. No golden handshakes for the ordinary workers.

Good man yourself i 2 am sick of ignorant people telling me get of my ass and get a job, hello ive been trying to get a job for the last year theres nothing going, and im not afraid of hard work, 2 years ago i had 2 jobs and worked 7 days a week.

Good man yourself i 2 am sick of ignorant people telling me get of my ass and get a job, hello ive been trying to get a job for the last year theres nothing going, and im not afraid of hard work, 2 years ago i had 2 jobs and worked 7 days a week.
    thers probably a few people out there in the same boat (me too) so maybe we could start a thread on ways of helping with the issue, maybe some links to local services or courses being run that might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

solas wrote: »
    thers probably a few people out there in the same boat (me too) so maybe we could start a thread on ways of helping with the issue, maybe some links to local services or courses being run that might be useful.

I spend 2 years in canada, also worked in the U.S.A and i never had any problem getting work there, but here in Ireland even before this recession it was so hard for me to get work, people would rarely give you a chance, it was quiet demorilising, here in Ireland if they dont like the look of you you get no work, it was mostly people below the age of 40 anyone over that age put more faith in giving a man a chance than talking crap on your c.v and your apperance, this was quiet the opposite in canada and america where i was actually been offered jobs. Anyway im off to Austrlia pretty soon so im not 2 worried.

I mailed out over 15 applications over the last month and for the most part i dont even get to see them for them to make a decision on my appearance. Its been that way for the last year too. I have a dip. in social care and did business and marketing in wit too and at its not worth the paper its written on. Its a shame you have to leave to find work but best of luck out there anyway.

(ps, my kids dad lives and works in US and he's reporting theres no work to be had there either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I cant believe workers were told about the closure via a text, absolutely disgraceful. People who have worked there for 30 odd years and this is how they are treated!

Waterford glass could be profitable and it could provide well paid jobs for the current workforce and future generations if it wasnt in the hands of CEO's who care only for their own massive profits and salarys. The twisted logic of the free market means that hundreds of skilled workers will be now forced onto the dole while a perfectly viable factory is reduced to a derilict building. The goverment should have nationalised Waterford glass months ago,allowing it to be run democratically by its highly skilled and experienced workforce. Even Forbes website proclaims Waterford Glass as 'the most famous glass in the world'. The goverment not stepping into bail out and nationalise one of Irelands most famous export shows a complete lack of any sense on how to deal with this crisis.

This is for all the occupying workers in Waterford Glass tonight in solidarity from Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nationalisation is against EU law and common sense (ask anyone who bought a British Leyland car).

panda100 wrote: »
    I cant believe workers were told about the closure via a text, absolutely disgraceful. People who have worked there for 30 odd years and this is how they are treated!

Waterford glass could be profitable and it could provide well paid jobs for the current workforce and future generations if it wasnt in the hands of CEO's who care only for their own massive profits and salarys. The twisted logic of the free market means that hundreds of skilled workers will be now forced onto the dole while a perfectly viable factory is reduced to a derilict building. The goverment should have nationalised Waterford glass months ago,allowing it to be run democratically by its highly skilled and experienced workforce. Even Forbes website proclaims Waterford Glass as 'the most famous glass in the world'. The goverment not stepping into bail out and nationalise one of Irelands most famous export shows a complete lack of any sense on how to deal with this crisis.

This is for all the occupying workers in Waterford Glass tonight in solidarity from Dublin!
    Ironically Foley will probably do everything he can to save the place, (even though he's no longer ceo) he's a man of integrity which can't be said for most CEO's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

nkay1985 wrote: »
    my dad Joe Kelly, who's a Sinn Fein councillor .

I'd stand behind that man any day, I never worked in Waterford Crystal but my dad did before he died, he did alot for me when I needed help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Anyway im off to Austrlia pretty soon so im not 2 worried.

Don't mean to sound like a doom-monger, but I believe that there are now so many Irish arriving in Oz that it's impossible to get work. Whilst Oz is a little sheltered, they are starting to feel the effects of the recession now, and the amount of Irish arriving is phenomenal.

I'd hate to take out a huge loan to travel there and realise there's nothing there for me.

solas wrote: »
    Ironically Foley will probably do everything he can to save the place, (even though he's no longer ceo) he's a man of integrity which can't be said for most CEO's.

J G Foley, CEO of Waterford Wedgewood annual salary = €385,180

Waterford workers annual salary = €29,193

The amount of 'Integrity' you must have to tell your workers, via text, they no longer have jobs and their factory is closed = 0

It will be intresting to see how this will be reported in The Tony O'Reilly press tommorow.Isnt he one of the main shareholders in it? The same man who has a personal wealth of €1.2 billion and has never paid tax? I can see some very warped reporting tommorow in the Indo/Herald/Daily Star/ on the occupation.

The amount of 'Integrity' you must have to tell your workers, via text, they no longer have jobs and their factory is closed = 0

he's no longer ceo and if i remember correctly when he was, he opted to reduce his own salary at the time (the one which was laid out on the table for him when he was given the position) . He is a really good decent man with the employees best interests at heart. I met him once and I can tel you he has shed tears for the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Did you not read the details? Former CEO - not current CEO. He had no part in informing the staff of today's decision.

djsupreme wrote: »
    Did you not read the details? Former CEO - not current CEO. He had no part in informing the staff of today's decision.

Yes I know,I just focussed on him as Solas mentioned him. While he may cry crocodile tears for the workers they are quite fake. As (former) CEO he was accumulating obscene wealth while managing to guide a profitable company to the brink of bankruptcy.

Yes I know,I just focussed on him as Solas mentioned him. While he may cry crocodile tears for the workers they are quite fake. As (former) CEO he was accumulating obscene wealth while managing to guide a profitable company to the brink of bankruptcy.

I think we'll wait and see.

Went down there once I finished work at 9 tonight just to see if they needed a hand or anything. Just in time to help them carry in the boxes of food and drink you will have seen if you saw the late news. The local Sinn Fein branch has bought this food as a show of support, it seems. Whatever your political feelings, that's a nice gesture.

Went and got a spare mattress, duvet and pillow for the lads - my dad had already gotten his own stuff. There's a lot of anger but everyone was in great spirits. People are there from 12 until 8 and being relieved by others then. They're hopeful that the meeting they're trying to arrange for tomorrow will bring some hope.

The meetings with Foley's consortium apparently went well on Thursday and it looked promising but then the receiver carried on the way he did. we'll just have to see how it goes over the weekend, I suppose. But it's been picked up by the English press already and there was word that the US press were taking it up too. Bad publicity for the government if they refuse to act!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Best wishes to you all and them.
    Very sad to see the news earlier.
    Those were some awful images on the late night news. Hope everything turns out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's absoutely disgusting how the workers have been treated.

Horrible scenes on the news but from talking to a couple of people in other parts of the country they feel good on the workers for standing up to the plate and putting up a fight.

• Advertisement

This is the most detailed article I've found on it so far. It explains what actually happened:
    Hundreds of workers were occupying Ireland's world-famous Waterford Crystal factory tonight after being told by text message they were losing their jobs.

Scuffles broke out as private security teams brought in by receivers tried to keep back employees from storming the plant at Kilbarry, outside Waterford city.

Union officials, tipped off by former managers that the troubled operation was to about to shut, furiously texted staff who were at home, their wives and partners to scramble crowds towards the factory.

Trade union Unite's regional secretary Jimmy Kelly, a former Waterford Crystal worker among those occupying the plant, said workers were furious after assurances they would be kept informed of any developments.

"There's a lot of anger, people feel they've been betrayed," he said.

"We were in a process and we were given a commitment that we would be kept briefed on any development, but the receiver went ahead today and decided on the closure.

"What we are trying to do now is get the decision to close the place reversed, or postponed for a few days to allow us to engage in that process. This is not the way to treat people in the middle of something."

Government Minister Martin Cullen, who is from Waterford, tonight stepped into the row to appeal for "cool heads" and for workers to stay calm.

However, employees have insisted they will not be removed from the plant until an opportunity is given for it to be saved by one of two prospective buyers.

Joe Kelly, an industrial engineer for 35 years at the Waterford Wedgwood group-owned factory, which went into receivership earlier this month, is one of those staging the sit-in.

"We are staying until we get the receiver's decision to close the firm reversed, and an opportunity is given to buyers to come in and buy this company and save 300 to 400 jobs, and reasonable conditions for those that have to leave," he said from inside the plant.

"Most of us have put between 20 and 40 years' service into this company and we are not being thrown on to the scrap heap by a receiver appointed by Deloitte."

Hours after the occupation began this afternoon, Deloitte receiver David Carson said in a statement that manufacturing will cease immediately with the loss of 480 of the 800 jobs.

The visitors' centre in Waterford, one of Ireland's top tourist attractions, will also close, he said.

"The decision to cease manufacturing does not necessarily preclude a resumption of operations in Waterford in the future," the statement said.

"The receiver is continuing negotiations with interested parties with a view to a sale of the company's assets and those discussions are focused on agreeing the terms upon which a transaction could be completed."

Union leader Jimmy Kelly said there was no mood among the workers to leave the factory until the shut down was overturned.

"People are not prepared to just pack up and forget about this. There's a determination here, people are not going to just lie down," he said.

Gardaí confirmed they were called to the scene but said there have been no arrests.

Private equity firm Clarion Capital held talks in Dublin yesterday about a potential take-over of the troubled glass factory, formerly controlled by media tycoon Anthony O'Reilly and his brother-in-law Peter Goulandris.

Trade union officials said they were told of a commitment by the US-based investors to keep the factory open for at least another 10 years.

New York-based KPS Capital Partners have also expressed an interest in Waterford.

But Mr Cullen said the receiver told him today that he had reached the end of the road and simply had no more money to keep the operation going.

There was hope for a formal second bid from a prospective buyer in the next 24 hours, he added.

But shortly after briefing workers at a meeting this morning, rumours started to circulate that the factory was to be shut down within hours.

Worker Joe Kelly, who is also a Sinn Féin councillor in Waterford, was one of those who rushed to summon workers to the plant.

"Because we are on short time, most of the workforce were at home, so we initiated a campaign of text messaging to all the people we had in our phones, and to our partners and our wives to contact people in the area and get them back down to the factory to start the occupation," he said.

"A security firm was put on the doors and they tried to prevent people from entering the premises.

"Tensions were running very high, and when they opened the door to allow one person in a surge of people charged the door and scuffles broke out between the security people and the workers.

"Bodies ended up on the ground but there were no injuries."

The councillor insisted that the occupation will last until they are assured of an opportunity to try and save jobs.

"We have had offers from local businesses of food, drink and water free of charge," he said.

"This occupation is going to last as long as it has to last, until we get a reasonable solution and there is a reasonable solution - there are two major buyers interested. That makes this whole thing a farce. "

Taken from:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnqlaukfoj/

Advertisement