Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sonar 2009 June 18th-20th

• 30-01-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭

Orbital are playing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Those old has-beens! :p They went out with the glow sticks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

yea im sure there is people out the with new music thats better than them fcuksake, hang on......................am i in the wrong thread hehehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

pallepille wrote: »
    yea im sure there is people out the with new music thats better than them fcuksake, hang on......................am i in the wrong thread hehehehe

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

LOL, well I was more about the festival actually. Sunny Barcelona in June. Happy memories on a crappy day like today

anyone else confirmed for this?
    google has come up short.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    anyone else confirmed for this?
    google has come up short.

Nope. First part of the line up is usually released late Feb/Early March

www.sonar.es will have it

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nope. First part of the line up is usually released late Feb/Early March

www.sonar.es will have it

cool. thinking of headin to this what with the location and generally good lineups they have.

jtsuited wrote: »
    cool. thinking of headin to this what with the location and generally good lineups they have.

I cant recommend it enough. Fantastic festival, and even better the week or so in Barcelona is amazing, loads of stuff goin club and party wise all week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Sonar is the best festival in the world, simple as.
    Barcelona is also the greatest city in the world (**** berlin, barcelona has a beach hehe!).

If you like techno, you have to make it over. I'll be making my 4th annual excursion this year.

Not for the faint hearted though, it basically extends to a week long and encompasses the whole city, never stuck for something to see or do.

Check www.loquo.com for accomodation and get yourself an apartment in the borne, the ramblas is for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

AB03 wrote: »
    Sonar is the best festival in the world, simple as.
    Barcelona is also the greatest city in the world (**** berlin, barcelona has a beach hehe!).

If you like techno, you have to make it over. I'll be making my 4th annual excursion this year.

Not for the faint hearted though, it basically extends to a week long and encompasses the whole city, never stuck for something to see or do.

Check www.loquo.com for accomodation and get yourself an apartment in the borne, the ramblas is for tourists.

I shouldn't imagine Sonar is anywhere near the best festival in the world, you would need to check out the Burning Man Festival in Nevada,USA for that.

And Barcelona despite being a really nice city is also nowhere near the best city in the world or Spain for that matter, Valencia is much better, cheaper and friendlier (and no bloody pickpockets either)

Having said all of that i an due another visit to Barcelona and if the legendary Ortbital are on ill try make it over.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I really have to get to a festival this year and if Sonar is good for techno maybe this is what I should aim for. Lots of notice to get babysitters sorted too, still 5 months!

Although there is also that one in Detroit, can't remember the name but I remember last year or the year before it had a serious line up. Bit of a distance though to travel.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I really have to get to a festival this year and if Sonar is good for techno maybe this is what I should aim for. Lots of notice to get babysitters sorted too, still 5 months!

Although there is also that one in Detroit, can't remember the name but I remember last year or the year before it had a serious line up. Bit of a distance though to travel.

Detroit Electronic Music Festival I'd imagine Felix. Always a good line up there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've heard really good things about Sonar - think a few heads on here went - i think it was Giles... Barcelona is a really nice city, I heard the pickpockets are rife but I had not problems

I've lived in both Barcelona and Valencia and if you think Valencia has no pickpockets, think again.
    Fact is, if you stay away from the ramblas, in the borne specifically, you'll have no problems and you'll experience the real city, which most tourists never see.

Giles and Conky played with us last year, we ran an all Irish beach party for Sonar on the thursday. We're doing a warehouse this year instead though, would be good to see all the irish contingient making it down!

Comparing Sonar to Burning Man is like comparing the World Cup to the WRC, they're different festivals, Sonar is the best techno festival in the world, Burning Man is the greatest gathering of lunatics in the world, they both have their place :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I did not realise Sonar was a Techno festival - I thought it was more all round dance music. How does it compare to 'I Love Techno'? I really wanted to go to that last year but was unable to make it... Might seriously think about getting over to this if I can...

Anyone who has been please let us know what it is like. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hi Zascar,

Sonar isnt mainly a techno festival, theres a lot of techno stuff on around the city aswell as quirky electronica, hip hop, and a few other bits, the last time I went (3 yrs ago) I saw Rahzel, Richie Hawtin & Villalobos, Sigur Ros and lots of other varied bits n bobs....

Defo get your arse over this year, I will be, missed it so much the last few years, should be hooking up with the AB fella for an irish party over there aswell....

Cool. When I say the lineup for I Love Techno I was seriously impressed - however others said they were disappointed - but then again I'm a relative newcomer to the whole techno scene. I was disappointed I could not go, but I heard mixed reports from those that did go... Maybe Sonar will be a better option anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

AB03 wrote: »
    Sonar is the best techno festival in the world

Actually Sonar is "Barcelona’s International Festival of Advanced Music and Multimedia Art". Usually one room at night is reserved for techno, but the rest of it is pretty open. Saw some of the most experimental music in Sonar Lab, for example.

What I was actually referring to moreso than the festival itself was the beach parties and club nights happening during sonar week, a good 90% of which will revolve around techno or house in some form or another.

Every big act and dj is in barcelona for that week so there'll be 5 times whats on in sonar in all the clubs for the whole week solid.

And even then most of Sonar de Noche is actually electronic and techno heavy, certainately there are other genres represented but on the whole its whatever is hot in techno/underground electronic at the moment, especially the main area.

more added

Orbital (FFRR/UK)

Grace Jones (Wall of Sound/JM)

Late of the Pier (Parlophone/UK)

DJ Mujava & MC Mzura (Warp/SA)

SebastiAn (Ed Banger/FR)

Fever Ray (Rabid/SW)

Erol Alkan presents Disco 3000 (UK)

Crookers (Mad Decent/IT)

Deadmau5 (Mau5trap/CA)

Filastine (Soot/US)

Micachu & The Shapes (Accidental/UK)

Moderat (Bpitch Control/DE)

Lars Hornveth (Smalltown Supersound/NO) + Barcelona 216 (ES)

Mary Anne Hobbs presents (BBC Radio 1)

The Gaslamp Killer (Obey/US)
    Joker (Kapsize/UK)
    Martyn (3024/NL)
    Mary Anne Hobbs (UK)

Ed Banger presents Gazpashow!

James Pants (Stones Throw/US)
    Bullion (One-Handed/UK)
    Breakbot (Moshi Moshi/FR)
    DSL (Ed Banger/FR)
    Busy P. (Ed Banger/FR)

Ostgun Ton presents

Shed (DE)
    Marcel Dettmann (DE)

Sunday Best presents

Ebony Bones (UK)
    Rob Da Bank (UK)
    Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip (UK)

Red Bull Music Academy presents

Onra (Favorite/FR)
    XXXChange (Fully Fitted/US)
    Muhsinah (Circulations/US)
    Jamie Woon (One Taste/UK)
    GoldieLocks (Puregroove/UK)
    Cécile (Mac Mac/IT)
    Dorian Concept (Kindred Spirits/AU)
    Guillamino (Bankrobber/ES)
    Culoe de Song (Innervisions/SA)
    Midee (LaBolatoryNetlabel/ES)
    Cardopusher (Murder Channel/VE)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Zascar wrote: »
    I did not realise Sonar was a Techno festival - I thought it was more all round dance music. How does it compare to 'I Love Techno'? I really wanted to go to that last year but was unable to make it... Might seriously think about getting over to this if I can...

Anyone who has been please let us know what it is like. Cheers

ILT-went twice, last year was better than the first. Underworld, The Contakt show and Marcel Dettman - NICE!

Only problem is all the electro at it.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    ILT-went twice, last year was better than the first. Underworld, The Contakt show and Marcel Dettman - NICE!

Only problem is all the electro at it.........

Marcell Dettmann is playing in the twisted pepper on saturday! yes oh yay

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BoysNoize

Right lads, thinkin of heading over to this for the first time.. Any info on where best to stay ? Will the 3 day tickets sell out fairly soon ? Cheers in advance.

BoysNoize wrote: »
    Right lads, thinkin of heading over to this for the first time.. Any info on where best to stay ? Will the 3 day tickets sell out fairly soon ? Cheers in advance.

No problem in tickets being sold out tbh, although I'd recommend picking one night once the line up is out and getting tickets for that night, and perhaps one day ticket, theres so much goin on in the clubs that week that one night at Sonar will do ya fine.

Book an appartment is my recommendation, some great bargains to be had, google away and you'l lfind somewhere v decent

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BoysNoize

Cheers Kev,

Was fairly sure I was just going to get the 140e 3 day an night ticket but might give it some more thought an wait till the times are announced. And yeah I'll prob take a look around for apartments as opposed to a hostel. Ill be doing it on the cheap though..

BoysNoize wrote: »
    Cheers Kev,

Was fairly sure I was just going to get the 140e 3 day an night ticket but might give it some more thought an wait till the times are announced. And yeah I'll prob take a look around for apartments as opposed to a hostel. Ill be doing it on the cheap though..

Keep an eye on this site (http://krass.com/wiki/Sonar_2009) for lots of info on club nights and the infamous beach parties that will be on in Barca over the week of Sonar.

And dont forget to check out the loopy kristy filled anti-Sonar party as well. At the very least its an experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

im going. the lineup isn't as mental as i thought it would be to be honest.

going from the 15th to the 23rd. never been before so im looking forward to it. got an apartment . super stuff. any recommendations for clubs etc leading up to it.

4th year in a row for me and for the first time, the lineup this year really does look disastrous.
    Its usually pretty tame at this early stage but this is the worst ive seen yet, very suprised to see Sebastian and all those other trendy electro house mongos back on the bill.
    I'll be there for the ostgut ton stuff but not sure ill bother with the other night if there's no improvement on the lineup.

No worries regardless, there'll be plenty more on + we'll be running another party this year, heavily irish oriented with a few international guests to top it off.
    Will be posting details on all the forums so keep your eyes peeled, last years beach party was great craic.
    We're more than likely going to try do a warehouse party rather than a beach party this year, more details will follow soon.

Btw, for apartments, you'll get the best stuff on www.loquo.com
    Try to arrange it with an english speaking short term owner rather than through an agency so there's no extra fees and you can do some bargaining.
    Best areas to stay are Gotico and El Borne, Raval too if you're stuck but wouldnt recommend the Raval to large groups of women, it can be a bit hairy at times and if you dont know some of the language you might get harrassed.
    There's also barceloneta if you like the beach but some of the places there can be a bit run down.
    Stay outside those areas and you'll spend most of your time on metros etc, wouldnt recommend it if you're only there for sonar.

If you're going to get a 3 day pass (which is ridiculous cos u wont go to even a quarter of the stuff), go for sonar pro pass, that gives u way more extra goodies. You can find it on the sonar site.
    Just dont leave it til the wednesday to buy tickets, the queues get absolutely stupid from then on in.

is that not the final lineup announced???

they have the days and everything that people are playing on the website.

• Advertisement

dunno, maybe it is, if so then it really isnt all that great this year.

sven vath is down to play on his myspace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Conor OH!

i can't wait for this years Sonar. it's constantly an amazing event. but Beware... its not at all for the faint hearted, or if you dont know what you're letting yourself in for... the night time events run till about 8am, and dont kick off until after 12/1am, so it takes a lot out of you. sleeping happens during the daylight hours, and sonar "day" doesnt actually get properly going (crowd wise) until after 5pm... but the beach is perfect hangover cure... you can get very cold drinks brought to you, get a massage if you need it, go for swims etc etc... the lineup this year is fantastic, although i was under the impression that Miss Kittin plays at it every single year (and this year seems to be missing her on the line-up). i'd recommend it to those of you who have a LOT of energy and are able to stay up partying in 30degree heat for five days solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Anto123

sven vath is down to play on his myspace

Sven Vath is playing a Cocoon night at Kanna Beach Club on the 20th.

I have a pretty comprehensive listing of all the off-sonar gigs here: http://dublinmusic.blogspot.com/

If anyone knows of something I'm missing let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Lads, don't mind the lineup, Sonar itself is barely half the craic of the trip. I know people who didn't even make it to Sonar itself and had a great week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flossy Flossy

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cheap way to get to Sonar ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement