Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensemble Studios Now Offically Disbanded

Options
  • 30-01-2009 4:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We all knew that Ensemble Studios was to be disbaned by Microsoft after Halo Wars was released.

As of yesterday, Jan 29th, Ensemble Studios shut their doors for the final time, after over 12 years of developing video games - their most notable being the acclaimed Age of Empires series.

'Tis a pity to loose such a great studio, and who knows what lies in wait for the Age of Empires series now.

There is some good news though. Ensemble Studios head Tony Goodman plans to create an Independent development company, and many of the Ensemble Studios staff have been offered a position in the firm.
    The best 12 years

We are happy that Ensemble got to spend as much time as we did entertaining our fans over the last 12 years, and we would not be where we are without such a great bunch of people standing behind us. For what it is worth we thank you. As we move into the future we will continue to support the Age of Empires and Halo Wars fans and franchises and make sure that they are supported fairly.

I am incredibly proud our team here at Ensemble and of the time we have spent making games for you. It has been some of the best years we have had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

does that mean the end of the age of empire series?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Redlion wrote: »

Nope. It will probably end up as a new franchise of ancient civilasation based minigames on XBLA or the Wii since it will make more money than the financially successful old series.

It's a real shame seeing an excellent talented studio that was profitable get disbanded because it will generate a tiny bit more revenue for the shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Redlion wrote: »
    I hope to god so! The time I've lost playing those games probably amounts to years at this stage. My body couldn't cope with another one. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope. It will probably end up as a new franchise of ancient civilasation based minigames on XBLA or the Wii since it will make more money than the financially successful old series.

It's a real shame seeing an excellent talented studio that was profitable get disbanded because it will generate a tiny bit more revenue for the shareholders.

Indeed. I think it is very clear that MS want to soley focus on developing games for the Xbox 360 at the moment.

Advertisement