Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding new dog to family

Options
  • 30-01-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old dog, old for a shih-tzu thats for certain. We were thinking of getting a new dog, a puppy (golden retriever) possible another female!

What issues would we face apart from the usual training?
    Would the dog we have now, be jealous or be angry that we have a new dog?

She is fairly active in her old age, but her health has deteriorated somewhat.

I guess i just want to know what impact a younger dog would have?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Takes time and patience.

Dogs are territorial.

Take is slowly at the dogs' pace. Safety always first so be prepared to "sleep " them separately until they decide who is the Dominant alpha bitch.

Thinking back to when the collie arrived and we already had one dog; lot of growling for the first few days:) Still can be two years on, but it is just noise.

And they do play together beautifully
    I have an old dog, old for a shih-tzu thats for certain. We were thinking of getting a new dog, a puppy (golden retriever) possible another female!

What issues would we face apart from the usual training?
    Would the dog we have now, be jealous or be angry that we have a new dog?

She is fairly active in her old age, but her health has deteriorated somewhat.

I guess i just want to know what impact a younger dog would have?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Getting a puppy, the puppy will still have its "puppy-permit/license" - which basically means that as a puppy they can get away with things an adult dog wont get away with, providing the puppy is younger than 16-20 weeks as this is when it begins to expire. ;)
    Integration of a puppy with an older dog can go well.

However, puppies are playful and with an old dog, which you havent mentioned age - this can be an annoyance. In their golden years, if your dog is that old, all it may want to do is sleep and have a bit of peace without the puppy tormenting it. I have a dog just over a year old who will play til his eyes close while still standing, but also have another dog of similar age, who will sleep for Ireland (she's sick). A bouncy playful dog wanting to play with another who just wants to sleep/rest/have peace can cause tension (and frazzle you :D)

If you go ahead, consider crate training the puppy. Same as with older dogs, introduce on neutral territory, and use the crate for safety (and your sanity). Allow the old dog to sniff while the puppy is in the crate but make sure there is a similar area for the old dog to go to where it can get peace from the puppy.

We were advised spend roughly 75% of our time with the dog that was there first, and 25% of our time with the "intruder" :D
    The dog that was here first was fed first, let out first - mostly because we were spending more time with him that it happened that way, but we were also told that we had done it the correct way.

But! Even with a puppy that still has its puppy-license, the older dog may not accept the new dog.

Take it slow if you do go ahead and get a puppy. Don't force them together, dont force them to play together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I have a 10-year old setter, and as our other dog died last year, I was looking to get him a new playmate, as he seems a bit down.
    He went absolutely mental over a Samoyed at the vet a few years ago, licking it, and I was really looking to get a samoyed pup to join our household. Also, Jack won't be around forever unfortunately. We 'ordered' one from a breeder we know well 3 years ago, but sadly the whole litter died.
    I've looked on dspca.ie and paws, as well as here:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~sammyclub/page6.html
    but the first two don't have any, and the sammy club page hasn't been updated in years.

The buy and sell have loads of ads for Samoyed pups, all IKC-reg, vacc and chipped, but there's no good way of knowing without prior knowledge which are the right ones to buy from, can anyone give pointers?
    I'm looking to get a bitch in the first or second week in April (work stuff finishing etc).

Advertisement