Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASSIGNMENT I - Long Exposure (Suggestion to activate sleepy camera's)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

That's great! How did you do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hugh_C wrote: »
    brilliance :D

you switched off between letters?

Thanks!!
    Yeah, I switched off a few times. It really is a very very simple effect to do, I think the times i switched off only adds to it! I took it this evening on the top of the stair landing.
    I was out trying to trace the outline of my car just, like Duchovny's pic of the chair, but there was too much background light. Will try again soon in a darker place.

Duchovny - the pic of the chair is excellent:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

John wrote: »
    That's great! How did you do it?

just with a flash light ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Duchovny wrote: »
    just with a flash light ;)

Did you do it with one shot?

Noupe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Long exposure of Croke Park tonight.. The fireworks for the 125th anniversary celebations of the GAA.

3242910232_03cd9842d1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great idea Duchovny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Good idea. I thing that it could go to competitions. No more stickies, please, I cannot see a single post any more on my first screen :confused: (laptop).
    And I really do think that pictures posted in the Week Assignment should be taken that week, so no old pictures in there.

kjt wrote: »
    Great idea Duchovny!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I'm not suggesting that we should start policing the exif data but I agree that this should be confined to new shots - I have plenty of long exposures from before now, but the aim of this particular game is to get us out doing new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

this is shot i took last night after the dublin tyrone match at croke park an exposure of 30 seconds
    http://flickr.com/photos/24723443@N04/3242648118/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

3246566924_00540dc623_b.jpg

woooooooo.... time for bed!

I tried the chair thing but I couldn't put all the shots together.. How did you do it Duchovny?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I did one part at the time, i took about maybe 30 shoots, i didnt use all of them, so basicly i would do a leg and stop, the another leg and stop etc, how problems did you face?

I did one part at the time, i took about maybe 30 shoots, i didnt use all of them, so basicly i would do a leg and stop, the another leg and stop etc, how problems did you face?

I had 3 pictures one of the back, seat & legs.. I couldn't like get them to overlay... If you get me..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

dazftw wrote: »

woooooooo.... time for bed!

I tried the chair thing but I couldn't put all the shots together.. How did you do it Duchovny?

Haha. Taking yourpics in the utility room i see. :P

• Advertisement

I had 3 pictures one of the back, seat & legs.. I couldn't like get them to overlay... If you get me..?

i just put them in PS and use ligthen and everything was quite easy to do, you might like this one i did as well...

http://duchovny.deviantart.com/art/Car-109063164

i just put them in PS and use ligthen and everything was quite easy to do, you might like this one i did as well...

http://duchovny.deviantart.com/art/Car-109063164

I need a car 1st :( haha! Ill try the photoshop thing now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I need a car 1st

Run around some randomers car and at least if the picture doesn't turn out well, if they come out you'll get a great picture of them. They'll look like this :eek: but hopefully not like this :mad: and then you'll both :D

kjt wrote: »
    Run around some randomers car and at least if the picture doesn't turn out well, if they come out you'll get a great picture of them. They'll look like this :eek: but hopefully not like this :mad: and then you'll both :D

haha, I could use the mothers car but atm its bit nippy to be out running around it with a flash light :pac: Though it would look pretty nice in the snow..

I dont think I can do it right in PS.. You can tell the difference. It pretty messy also

3248669498_4361eda587.jpg

haha, I could use the mothers car but atm its bit nippy to be out running around it with a flash light :pac: Though it would look pretty nice in the snow..

I dont think I can do it right in PS.. You can tell the difference. It pretty messy also

3248669498_4361eda587.jpg

well u need to be patient, do the back, and the 4 legs separated and then the siting place do separate as well... my flash light is a maglite that i can take the head and i use just use the bulb, and btw its not my car :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

BA81D6A7AA6B4C379EA6DD2EC1BC028B.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i was bored earlier

647C5086F2B6471483F952102B6F1CD3-800.jpg

823F7B76EAD74B54B89C2E7E82F15DD1-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Was messing around with the TV and long exposures and liked this almost impressionist version of a Sky News report:
    3248353711_232f741808.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I like that, the messiness and the light just falling on the edges of the seat look really good.

This is my most recent long exposure, didn't think the snow would stick over here but it's still around more than 24 hours later. It's not a great shot:

3247709587_143dc99376.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 doud

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for a while, and I just happened to have snapped a couple of long exposures last night, here's one I like:

433AFBFCA09548C68CF9FD77CA9A7BFD-800.jpg

DouD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Wauw! I'm very happy to see such a big response! Good job everyone! And I like the fact that everyone's just messing about a bit, which is the point in the end, isn't it!

No time here for experimenting just yet, had a bit of a mad hectic weekend :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

doud wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for a while, and I just happened to have snapped a couple of long exposures last night, here's one I like:

DouD

Just curious how you did that, did you copy the same picture over itself but with a different WB and cut a bit out, or were you using a torch on the ground? Or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 doud

Just curious how you did that, did you copy the same picture over itself but with a different WB and cut a bit out, or were you using a torch on the ground? Or something else?
    I used a torch on the ground. Exposure time is 30 secs at f/5, 160 iso, basically, after I started the exposure, I walked along the path with the torch (pointed away from the camera to avoid light spikes in the image (you get the "chair" effect if you point the light to the camera)) until the exposure was finished.

the three wise monkeys........take acid

1374749A33744D70AB366EB1D2D80584-800.jpg

4C7C5547AFFA4590B9F014D7E8D14CBC-800.jpg

D5C1F80643BE4CB9BDCD82F54930DF7A-800.jpg

B55933974B8F44338A0FAC638AB99214-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I suggested something like this last year. Basically, you undertake a different task each month, submit your results and share your opinions with other people. It was shot down, as seemingly photo challenge exists for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

mmmmmm...... I'm confused, what can I post up, one pic, multiple pics, different ideas, a secific theme, what is the theme ? etc etc, pls elaborate, this thread seems to be all over the place !
    Anyways: here's a fog theme :

96C8EE72576A44CD8DEC56FEAA71D6A5-500.jpg

52C8B05188C947EFB4E96B7824DB2798-500.jpg

sNarah wrote: »
    Okido! I was indeed waiting for a 'go ahead' from the mods, just in case.
    As for now, here's some provisional rules for now!

- Photo's are to be related to the given task.

- Posts are to be within tread as per day of OP - Closing after 7 days (does that seem reasonable?).

- Multiple posts allowed of subject, since it is a practise exercise.

- Next task/subject to be choosen by first person to post a reply.

- No negative feedback allowed, remember, this is an exercise where there will be posts of a variety of level. Either constructive comments or none at all! :p

- Choosen subject/task has to have relevance towards the learning process, e.g. for better understanding and using the settings on everyones camera.

- And the most important one: Enjoy yourself whilst you're at it, don't be afraid of showing your photos and hopefully get some wonderful results!!!

Am thinking of the first assignment now, will come back later - and hopefully get some feedback... Mods:confused: Are we allowed the go ahead??
    sNarah wrote: »
    Allrightie lads & girls,

Here is the first assignment!

This first one I would like to have people experiment with is LONG EXPOSURE because some fascinating things can come from it!
    Here you can find some great examples - the one with the turning wheel got me inspired. Some of them have exxxxxtremely long expure, I wouldn't want to push it that far, but go out and expirement with light, water, lightrails and whatever else you can find!

And because I don't master this skill just yet, here you can find a tutorial with some tips on Long Expure & slow shutter speeds.

Have fun!!!

Morrisseee, this might help? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

here's a recent (short) long exposure :)

3241744797_6c55bcd3f4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 50D
    Lens EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II
    Shutter Prioeity AE
    Shutter Speed 1/6
    Aperture Value 16
    Exposure Compensation +1
    ISO Speed 200
    Focal Length 16mm
    WB Auto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

sNarah, do you have any objection if I move this now to the challenges subforum?

Absolutely not! Next assigment will be posted by KJT tomorrow if all goes well!

Would it be possible to change the name to challenges & assigments or something or would that be too much too ask or not appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I can request a name change yeah...if there aren't too many objections. I'll throw a poll into that forum for an idea of the strength of feeling about a name change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm not sure about the word 'assignments'. Reminds me too much of being in college :pac:

i think moving this thread into the photo challenge sub forum was its death knell. which is a shame as it was a lighthearted approach at the subject with a lot of replies

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rita11

I think it is a great idea, anything that get us out and practicing with our cameras is great, some tips an tricks will always be weclome too

oops must remember to check the date, ha ha, so did this ever get going???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Rita11 wrote: »
    I think it is a great idea, anything that get us out and practicing with our cameras is great, some tips an tricks will always be weclome too

Hi Rita,

Check the dates on the post you're replying to... a bit old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Rita11 wrote: »

oops must remember to check the date, ha ha, so did this ever get going???

To answer your question too Rita, Yes this idea did take off. A new topic is covered every 2 weeks (I think, iv yet to enter).

The current one is Landscapes http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055906646

Advertisement