Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial Automation and Process Control Technican Work

Options
  • 30-01-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

I have an unusual request here,
    Industrial Automation and Process Control Technican
    first off it's not about a position I'm offering but rather a position I fulfill for a few ppl, and I am moving a way, many of the clients that I have found it incredible hard to find someone competent enough to fulfill their needs as I did.

This makes me astonished as the amount of manufacturing companies we have in Galway, still no one the represents enough in-depth skill, experience's, knowledge, also self motivation to see task through to completion, even if such challenges require outsourcing advice and researching the problem in question further.

I'm looking to see if their is anyone out their or someone you may know that work in the Automation and Industrial Control systems, as in Maintaining and repairing problems with such equipment. such problems would be servo drive failures.

He/She would have a background in Electronic and Computer Engineering, or industrial Process Control in Instrumentation Physics

I find allot of the industry's here have in-house personal, but I have not been able to find a freelancer on this kinda of work, well one that has the convidence enough to take on such work.

I can say it's good money, i find it challanging, interesting and most importantly you learn allot everytime.

However in any case i'm posting this so to see if their is also such people out there Galway.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

There are plenty of companies offering this work in Galway. The companies might not be a Galway Company or even an Irish Company but I know a good few lads in that field. An example would be a company called Lotus Automation have a lot of lads on Contract to companies in Galway yet their offices are in Sligo. I know some other companies would not have enough work to employ a person full-time so call them in as needs be. Is the job a new build or maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

This makes me astonished as the amount of manufacturing companies we have in Galway, still no one the represents enough in-depth skill, experience's, knowledge, also self motivation to see task through to completion, even if such challenges require outsourcing advice and researching the problem in question further.

True. They throw money and plant downtime at waiting for supplier personnel to travel from abroad at high costs to support their system.

I interviewed recently and some degree qualified candidates could not tell me difference between AC and DC symbols. Others could not identify a relay when shown components.

I find the West to be an industrial backwater to those skills, with obviously very little true-to-life practical application training being delivered by the educational institutions.

A Fas electrician may have more practical PLC control experience than an engineering graduate. I will PM you a supplier who has guys with good PLC/servo/vision skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

sgthighway wrote: »
    There are plenty of companies offering this work in Galway. The companies might not be a Galway Company or even an Irish Company but I know a good few lads in that field. An example would be a company called Lotus Automation have a lot of lads on Contract to companies in Galway yet their offices are in Sligo. I know some other companies would not have enough work to employ a person full-time so call them in as needs be. Is the job a new build or maintenance?

Thanks, I didn't think of Lotus, the work is really for maintenance, mostly of CNC machining centers, plastic molding machines etc.
    True. They throw money and plant downtime at waiting for supplier personnel to travel from abroad at high costs to support their system.
    I interviewed recently and some degree qualified candidates could not tell me difference between AC and DC symbols. Others could not identify a relay when shown components.

I find the West to be an industrial backwater to those skills, with obviously very little true-to-life practical application training being delivered by the educational institutions.

A Fas electrician may have more practical PLC control experience than an engineering graduate. I will PM you a supplier who has guys with good PLC/servo/vision skills.

Totally agree! in my early days i spent 3 months working for one of the pharmaceutical manufactures here in Galway, I joined it so i could get some commercial expedience and learn the more business side of things, but i found it a joke! even the head maintenance guy couldn't even find a servo drive in cabinet!!
    Like that they would bring in guys from as far as India just to fix simple problems with some of the packaging machines! a simple RTFM and you would have it solved yourself, maybe a call over the phone.
    After that i started to do the work freelance.

But it is disappointing that students don't learn more about the implementation of process control systems etc,, Like a student that is studying instrumentation and physics would be more familiar with PLC's then a student studying Electronic Engineering

Thanks for your PM's hopefully i'l find the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

To join in with original poster, if anybody Galway based is able to offer skill and competence in servo control and/or CNC and/or AB PLC's I would be grateful for their contact details via PM. Have one good supplier, but I need to future proof in case of proverbial bus.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colly1

Company in Newrt call lektronix. Identify problems with all types on industrial equipment and repair to component level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement