Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawaii summer 09 J1

Options
  • 30-01-2009 4:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

Hey people,

am looking to go to hawaii for the summer of 2009.
    and looking for info on everything from anyone who has been there.

There has been such mixed reviews on accomodation been too expensive and it been too hard to get jobs etc...or nightlife to small.. but other reviews have been excellent..

The main issue i have is that there is only 2 of us going so we are worried about getting accomodation..and affording it...

We are choosing hawaii because we want a j1 with a bit of craic but not an irish infested tourist resort..or just a place for COUPLES on honeymoons etc...

We are hoping to hook with some irish and enjoy the paradise that is hawaii...work for the summer but not break our backs paying for accomodation...

I think it is worth paying the little bit extra for a j1 in hawaii.

So can anyone give some tips on finding accomodation, which parts are the best to stay in..like maui, or the big island.. what jobs are there?
    How do the locals find the j1ers?

Is it worth spending a summer there?? We are dealing with Sayit and hav the free visa and two stop overs....but

Im set on hawaii but i need some final advice...

Thanks a mill lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sexy_mom

what up.. im a cool mom, revisiting my youth and going on a j1 for the summer! i know, sounds super crazy, but thats just me!! anyway i wonder could anyone tell me where is cool to go, i want a beach house, with a pool perhaps, around 3 bedrooms, small kitchen.. as im going with a group of PARTY ANIMALS from UCD, we really want to be near some nightlife, we dont care if its nightclubs or houseparties.. anyway we're looking for somewhere cheap so if nyone has been already and knows a good area where there mite be some atmosphere, i'd love if you'd let me know..
    thanks
    sexy_mom xxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I'm no expert on Hawaii - I was there once for 2 weeks and only visited two of the islands. For what it's worth, here's my opinion:

Waikiki seems to be the only place with a city-style nightlife. But there are some small surfer towns that probably have a good party atmosphere, I visited Haleiwa during the day and it looked like a good spot. There are beautiful beaches everywhere, a few google searches or a look at a guide book should make it easy to find somewhere that's close to a nice beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

im in ucd and me and few friends are heading to maui, we're not going for the city life....living in dublin all year and going to night clubs 3 times a week makes me want something new for the summer....but hear there are great house and beach parties there..when are u flying out?

well i dont have much advice but i've heard from people that i know that went before that it's brilliant....we're going to lahaina in maui...if ur going there i'm we could be looking for people to share house with...we plan on packing a house to save money..when are u flying out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

We are choosing hawaii because we want a j1 with a bit of craic but not an irish infested tourist resort..

Well with the hundreds of Irish that went to Hawaii last summer I'd say Irish infested tourist resort would be a good description of parts of Hawaii this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pgra85

Im also going to Hawaii with 2 friends and we re looking at jobs and acccomadation, like others have said the nightlife aspect doesnt bother me too much as We re just looking for a cool place n new things to do. well if u think hundreds of irish students is invested try going to san diego! i was there in 07 and dont regret it, it was a great summer but there were irish everywhere! we' ll probably be looking to share accomadation too!! i had friends who were in Maui and said it was the best summer they ve ever had, I think we re leaning towards Honolulu at the moment but who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leeds17

Hi everyone , myself and another lad are off to maui {lahana i think} this year , would deff be interested in packing a house as we will be doin it on a budget, any one interested drop us an email to a.white1@nuigalway.ie
    cheers

me and four other lads have an appartment in lahaina, maui and we're looking for a few people to fill it, the appartment is really really nice with the sea on the doorstep...its on front street, anyone interested email me moloney_@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Lahaina in Maui is an Irish infested tourist resort. It's absolutely gorgeous, but I was there for 3 or 4 days 2 summers ago and I'd say half the people in the town were Irish. The first people we asked for directions were Irish, the people working in every restaurant and shop were Irish. We were there about half an hour before we randomly bumped into the first person we knew from Dublin, and that happened more than once. We knew our waitress in Bubba Gump. So if you want to spend a summer in paradise with a load of Irish, it's perfect. There are a load more towns like it in Maui, but they wouldnt be Ireland in the sun quite so much.

If you want a busier place, with a few Irish but enough other people so you dont have to see Irish people all the time, Waikiki is really the only place for that. There's a load of shops and bars for getting work, and for stuff to do. But it is seriously touristy so you'll have to be prepared for that. It's a load of high rise hotels with chain shops, bars and restaurants. But it's only an hour or so on the bus from Waikiki to the North Shore of Oahu, which is literally paradise on Earth. They film Lost there, if you want some idea of what it's like. There are some absolutely beautiful beaches there, but it doesnt have much of a nightlife. I wouldnt recommend downtown Honolulu, a fair whack of it is a bit of a dive. Ever seen Dog the Bounty Hunter? That's downtown Honolulu.

I was in Waikiki for the summer. I had the time of my life, but it wasnt the totally laid back Hawaii most people imagine. It was still incredibly chilled out, but not as much as Maui, or the other islands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 owensutton1986

Hey BeanB and everyone else..thanks for the replies, some great info there...
    well my story at the mo is wer flying into Honolulu, have a hostel booked there and plan to work our way from there..

we are leaning towards staying in waikiki but if it doesnt suit wel go maui...

Looking to get a good job that pays a good tip?? easy to get a job?:pac: (is this possible? any advice?)
    What kinda job did you get BeanB?

Also everyone seems to have acommodation sorted in Maui? Where are yee finding all this info? craigslist?
    What kinda price are we talking for accomodation??? Pay deposit up front?

Also when do the majority fly in to Hawaii? Wer leaving 25th may, have 4 nights in San Fran and then on to Hawaii...

Thanks for all the info lads...:eek::P:confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LauraJean

Hey!

I'm flying into Honolulu this summer and hoping to stay in the Waikiki area. I'm choosing Waikiki over Maui because I'm hoping that by staying somewhere a bit more touristy and city like there'll be a better chance at finding a job and accommodation. Anyway just wondering if there is any one else thinking of staying in Waikiki? There are just 2 of us going so it'd be great to find a few others who were up for sharing a house and have a bit of craic!

Laura :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

LauraJean wrote: »
    Hey!

I'm flying into Honolulu this summer and hoping to stay in the Waikiki area. I'm choosing Waikiki over Maui because I'm hoping that by staying somewhere a bit more touristy and city like there'll be a better chance at finding a job and accommodation. Anyway just wondering if there is any one else thinking of staying in Waikiki? There are just 2 of us going so it'd be great to find a few others who were up for sharing a house and have a bit of craic!

hey myself and my friend are going to honolulu for the summer, we havn't decided where we're staying yet, but we would def be up for sharing a place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aisling D

Hey!

Heya me and another girl are in wakiki at the moment we trying find place to live nw we saw fue places but very small another girl is joining us on friday.we havnt seen any houses thay all apartments rly around.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LauraJean

Hey guys,

Well we have found accommodation, we're in a student sublet so it's cheap enough! We'd be more than happy to meet up with ye if ye need some advice about finding accommodation or anything!

Also, we were hoping to organise an Irish Pub Crawl here in Waikiki so it'd be great if ye were interested!

Sur get back to me anyway when ye get a chance!

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hey guys,

Well we have found accommodation, we're in a student sublet so it's cheap enough! We'd be more than happy to meet up with ye if ye need some advice about finding accommodation or anything!

Also, we were hoping to organise an Irish Pub Crawl here in Waikiki so it'd be great if ye were interested!

Sur get back to me anyway when ye get a chance!

Laura

Hey yeh there are 7 of us staying in Waikiki, just two minutes from the beach and we'd def be up for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skittles16

Hey!

Hi i am goin to hawaii this summer and i seen u have been i was just wondering if u could give me any info i am starting to stress bout getting work and accom so any info at all would help loads

thanks xx

Advertisement