Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten Reissue/Remaster by Pearl Jam

• 30-01-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Re-release

On March 24, 2009, Ten will be reissued in four editions. The extras on the four editions will range from a remastering and remix of the entire album by producer Brendan O'Brien, six bonus tracks ("Brother", "Just a Girl", "State of Love and Trust", "Breath and a Scream", "2,000 Mile Blues", and "Evil Little Goat"), re-designed packaging, a DVD of the band's 1992 appearance on MTV Unplugged, an LP of its September 20, 1992 concert at Magnuson Park in Seattle, a replica of the original Mamasan demo cassette, and a replica of Vedder's composition notebook. It will be the first reissue in a planned re-release of Pearl Jam's entire catalogue that will lead up to the band's 20th anniversary in 2011.

This is either the remixed or remastered version of Alive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSaS0JIxM84

The famous solo is different in a good way, and the drumming and bass are a lot more prominent

I know some people would think remastering Ten is like defacing the Mona Lisa but I can't wait for this!

While Ten is a masterpiece, I think there were two things that bugged me about it:
    1 - The poor production
    2 - The drumming of Dave Krusen

This will be rectified by having the man himself Brendan O Brien producing, and a legend of a drummer Matt Cameron drumming this time. It will alos include the never before released DVD of MTV Unplugged :) I think this will just about tide me over before the release of their new album in the summer ;)

Any thoughts bout it? Do ya think its just a way of making money?! Or will ya be buying it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

There is a thread about this already. I cant wait to hear it though. Will be class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Re-release
    This is either the remixed or remastered version of Alive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSaS0JIxM84

The famous solo is different in a good way, and the drumming and bass are a lot more prominent

nope.. that's a fan-recorded track. he's just taken eddies's vocals and re-recorded all the instruments himself. I could tell from the first riff.. that lead guitar is nothing like the original.

Anyway.. I'll definately be forking out for this when it comes out.. maybe the set with all the vinylls and the reproduction of the original demo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I thought that straight away. The guitar is out of time.

No reason in the world to remaster ten. Unless they are going to pull Deep and put in Yellowledbetter I really don't see how they can improve on it.

I'll buy it for an official unplugged disc though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Matt Cameron drumming this time.

really? i dont see the need for that, matts great and all, but i never had a problem with daves drumming.....although he was no abruzzeese....aubrusesse...whatever, you get the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah sorry bout the new thread, the other one was ages ago and there was no title! :o

And the second time I listened to that I realised that twas a cover alright.. my mistake...I'm very gullible :pac:

Also, Deep is a great song! And Yellow Ledbetter is on Lost Dogs:D

I think I'l only fork out for the CD version, my measly student budget couldn't stretch to the DVD :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't believe in re recording the drums.
    I have a version of ten with yellow ledbetter on it and dirty frank, from a few years back...
    looks like they are bonus tracks?
    remaster would sound good, but I don't really think I'd buy it. The unpugged dvd would be great though. I used to have an MTV recorded copy of it. Excellent stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Bought the Super Deluxe Edition the day they went on sale in december, so cannot wait til the end of march for it to arrive in the post!

They will be re-releasing all of their album up until 2011 in time for the 20th anniversary of 10! (And hopefully will be offering super deluxe versions of them too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

can't wait for the DVD of the unplugged session!

the re-recording of the drums is very degrading (give me a better word here please :-)) to Dave Krusen.

can't wait for the DVD of the unplugged session!

the re-recording of the drums is very degrading (give me a better word here please :-)) to Dave Krusen.

can we get some confirmation that thats happening? cos i aint believing it till i do.

can we get some confirmation that thats happening? cos i aint believing it till i do.

Well like its gonna be remastered, which means they're gonna do the whole album again, so I doubt they're gonna ask Dave Krusen to come back for one last bash! "Sorry for screwing ya over 17 years ago Dave but can ya drum for Ten again?!" :P
    Tis defo Matt Cameron drumming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Usually when they remaster something, thats all they do. They master it again differently. They might have remixed it but I doubt they would have recorded the whole thing again.

Well like its gonna be remastered, which means they're gonna do the whole album again, so I doubt they're gonna ask Dave Krusen to come back for one last bash! "Sorry for screwing ya over 17 years ago Dave but can ya drum for Ten again?!" :P

yep what neo said. methinks you need to revise your idea of mastering there cheese! so its business as usual then, good. there would never be a reason to replace daves performance. I also think it was abruzeese they screwed over, not krusen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

No it's not.
    It's a remaster, not a re-recording. Just like all the Megadeth remasters a few years back. It will sound a bit better, but that's the only difference there'll be to it. If you honestly think a remaster means a re-recording, then you're in for one big let down i'm afraid.

Getting this for the DVD alone though, although it will be nice to listen to it without having to strain my ears because the original CD pressings weren't great.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Getting this for the DVD alone though, although it will be nice to listen to it without having to strain my ears because the original CD pressings weren't great.

Well the video and sound are supposed to be 5.1 surround sound so I'm guessing the sound will be class!

Yeah I guess I got confused with the remaster and remix and all that! :o

Still tho, I'm sure twil be very good, Brendan O Brien produced some of PJ's best albums (Vs, Yield)
    He's also producing their next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 iAmMine

definitely getting the re-issue...only depressing bit is that being a staunch and i mean staunch pj fan, im not allowing myself to buy anything less than the super deluxe edition....

iAmMine wrote: »
    definitely getting the re-issue...only depressing bit is that being a staunch and i mean staunch pj fan, im not allowing myself to buy anything less than the super deluxe edition....

Yeah I would do that but I'm a student and I'm broke! :(
    I'l buy it when I'm rich tho!!! :D

iAmMine wrote: »

And just think, we've got 7 more albums of superdeluxe editions to buy in he next 2-3 years!!

If you but off bestbuy you get 3 bonus tracks to download for rock band!
    Cool video of the package here and a nice little montage:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat173100050006

Still wouldnt buy anywhere but 10C. (Still crossing fingers for a signed edition!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

while we are talking about the unplugged can anyone answer this question for me.

i think i had one of those dodgy tape bootlegs from Rhythm Records years ago of unplugged pearl jam songs. not sure if it was the whole show or what but there was an acoustic version of rearviewmirror with the frogs??

will this be on the unplugged cd? i have never been able to find it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

while we are talking about the unplugged can anyone answer this question for me.

i think i had one of those dodgy tape bootlegs from Rhythm Records years ago of unplugged pearl jam songs. not sure if it was the whole show or what but there was an acoustic version of rearviewmirror with the frogs??

will this be on the unplugged cd? i have never been able to find it since.

No that must have been something else mislabeled as the unplugged set. There were no Vs songs played during the unplugged gig. The album hadn't even been recorded yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

lads they are NOT re-recording the drums on this(mores the pity) this has been answered on their message board somewhere. it's still krusens drumming you'll hear. MC would probably only play everything too fast anyways :P

• Advertisement

MC would probably only play everything too fast anyways :P

Oh no he didn't!!! :pac:

well, it's a fact..he's an amazing drummer but he speeds up live on every song!

I'd take jack irons over him anyday..

do you lads have the 95 tour movie? it's deeeadly! no wonder it was never released, it's such a stoner film :)

I can copy it for anyone who wants it..just PM me

Well don't get me wrong, Jack was a great drummer (anyone who's in the Chilis and Pearl Jam would have to be!) and he was involved for No Code and Yield which i love but...
    I'm a huge fan of Soundgarden and I think his fast-tempo drumming is brilliant live (particularly Even Flow)!

Have yet to see these guys live tho :( yet....:o

I've seen Pj 21 times(22 if you include the mirrorball tour with neil Young) but Evebflow? if i never heard it again, it wouldn't bother me..we don't call it the pissbreak song for no reason...

did you see my other post? have you ever seen the 95 asia/australia tour film? it's banned to bits, yer not even allowed talk about it on any of the boards, official or otherwise..it's so deadly though..they shoulda released it...jack irons owns that tour..amazin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Ack!!

I cant stand cameron's drumming!.

It just seems dead and unimaginative compared to dave's, that's one of the things that set the first album apart from the later stuff.
    I thought that straight away. The guitar is out of time.

No reason in the world to remaster ten. Unless they are going to pull Deep and put in Yellowledbetter I really don't see how they can improve on it.

I'll buy it for an official unplugged disc though.

Deep might be the worst song on the album...

...but it's still a great track :pac:.

They should have just included yellow in the original...somehow :o.

Dave was incredibly powerful drummer but lets be honest, he played the same beat on every song..Why go, animal, daughter, etc..they all have the same beat but live he managed to make it worse somehow..and he was waaay too much about the cymbals.

Jack was better than Dave or Matt i reckon. Hail hail with Jack's drumming for example? better than either that the other two ever managed. Its got a groove to it or somethin..

did you see my other post? have you ever seen the 95 asia/australia tour film? it's banned to bits, yer not even allowed talk about it on any of the boards, official or otherwise..it's so deadly though..they shoulda released it...jack irons owns that tour..amazin

There would be no more of Jack if Eddie hadnt came to the rescue and fought off Godzilla!!!

Havent watched it in a while, might have to break it out with a couple of bottles and a smoke tonight or tomorrow night!

They've put up a couple of tracks from the re-issue, including Brother with lyrics - ****ing unreal song! :D

https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announces-reissue-band’s-debut-album-ten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They've put up a couple of tracks from the re-issue, including Brother with lyrics - ****ing unreal song! :D

https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announces-reissue-band’s-debut-album-ten

Those extras on it definitely sound worthy of getting this now.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I always disliked how Ten sounded. I loved the songs, but never listened to the album because to me it sounded like Bon Jovi or some massive stadium rock. I love the new mix of Once, but what's really blown me away is the 'new' Porch, which can be found here. It sounds much, much harder than the original.

Really looking forward to getting the super-duper deluxe boxset, though knowing 10C it'll be May by the time it's delivered.

Advertisement