Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten Reissue/Remaster by Pearl Jam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't see the point in this at all... Will people start adding to the Mona Lisa next? Or building onto the Vatican...? I dunno...
    While the extras and dvd would be cool, I don't see the point in remastering Ten. It was popular the first time round and of its time....

What was their point in remastering it? If they weren't happy with it in the first place, then there's a a problem. If it's to make it sound as it would be if it were released now, then it's a waste imo....:confused:

I have the original and don't intend on listening to a remastered version. I like the original...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

seachto7 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in this at all... Will people start adding to the Mona Lisa next? Or building onto the Vatican...? I dunno...
    While the extras and dvd would be cool, I don't see the point in remastering Ten. It was popular the first time round and of its time....

What was their point in remastering it? If they weren't happy with it in the first place, then there's a a problem. If it's to make it sound as it would be if it were released now, then it's a waste imo....:confused:

I have the original and don't intend on listening to a remastered version. I like the original...

Well I would recommend it, but dude you don't have to buy it! Same goes with all the people that think Pearl Jam have sold out etc. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

any of those peole still fudging buying it need to watch this...it's the EPK for the release and its only 8 minutes or something but so brilliant and the sound alone is incredible..the demo of alive ed sent back is almost exactly what made the record..so brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

seachto7 wrote: »

Not always, often two reasons for this
    1) The producer they may have wanted at the time may not have been available to produce the album and the band may have just had to settle if they wanted the album out for record company deadlines. (Def Leppard's Adrenalize springs to mind here, Lange wasn't available as he was working with Brian Adams at the time)

2) No access to the technology for the mastering. Bearing in mind that Ten is almost a 20 year old album! And technology has come a long way. Don't you feel old now? ;)

Your opinion. But I'm actually on for remasters in general. Some albums from around that time frame really do sound muck now by todays standards and deserve the proper treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

I have the original on cassette, how retro i know! But im going out today to buy the re- mastered version, i got well excited when i heard Pearl Jam were releasing it. But can u tell me why some of you guys think Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam have sold out? Now Chris Cornell on the other Lamha...:(

• Advertisement

MonicaBing wrote: »
    I have the original on cassette, how retro i know! But im going out today to buy the re- mastered version, i got well excited when i heard Pearl Jam were releasing it. But can u tell me why some of you guys think Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam have sold out? Now Chris Cornell on the other Lamha...:(

Aw god don't mention Chris Cornell, selling out, and Pearl Jam in the same sentence! :eek: ;)

Basically people think they're releasing this redux version of Ten to make money, especially with the Super Deluxe edition which is around 120 euro. Also, they made available all of Ten for the Rock Band game, and thats rubbed people up the wrong way.

I am of the opinion that Pearl Jam haven't sold out at all, they're re-releasing Ten because they know the sound quality wasn't the best on the original (especially the crazy reverb!) and they felt Brendan O Brien could do a good job... I'm glad to say they weren't wrong! Also, the fact that they no longer belong to a record company means they aren't gettin the guaranteed cash they would if they were with one.

Also the nonsense about Rock Band is just that...nonsense! How many bands have their songs on Guitar Hero and RB? I'd say almost every worthy rock band!(as well as some ****e bands....Linkin Park I'm looking at you!)

Just don't believe the nay-sayers and begrudgers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Plus, Sony can put out whatever they like from the band because they were on their label (up until Riot Act, and technically speaking J Records who put out avacado are also under the sony label aswell). At least they got PJ involved in it and didn't just release the same album for the sake of them making money.
    The band, especially Jeff have made it clear on many occasions that they wantd O'Brien to have a go at the record for the longest time, since around the time of Vs. plus Jeff was never happy with the art and packaging that was released as that was not what was intended and they were pressured into releasing it the way it came out.

Meh, as i already said in the Mustaine thread.
    Pretty much every band essentially sells out the minute they sign a record contract.

Probably just as well, otherwise you'd be looking around p2p sites to find Pearl Jam bootlegs cos that's the only way people would hear em. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ok anyone please explain EXACTLY how either Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell have sold out and please give reasons for saying so. You do know what the term actually relates to right?
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Yeah, I listened to both CD's back to back, and couldn't tell the difference!

Going deaf in your old age SR? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Personally speaking Cornell has always done what he has wanted to do in his career, and that has not always gone down well with those who want him to stay in Soundgarden mode forever. Would not say that he has ever sold out on his own values though.

As for PJ selling out? I can never get that one, if anything they have travelled in the opposite direction during their career to date.

• Advertisement

Pearl jam never sold out. When they do the coke ad, then i'll agree, but up til now? no, they've re-released their most popular album and as a previous poster said, they've always always said they wanted to go back and get Brendan to fix it.

Another idea is that they're self-funding this new record out of their own pocket & they wanna be able to pay for it. O'Brien is producing and he doesn't come cheap. You'll see a huge push on the new record when it comes out.

Fingers crossed it's brilliant.

rovert wrote: »
    Ok anyone please explain EXACTLY how either Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell have sold out and please give reasons for saying so. You do know what the term actually relates to right?

Going deaf in your old age SR? :p

Nah, just didn't have the speakers up loud enough. It was fairly late when i listened to it, combined with tiredness and not wanting to wake up the apartment. I haven't listened to it again yet. Been busy with the Megadeth remasters from a few years beforehand, which I did notice a difference on, so I'm guessing that i ain't going deaf. ;)

Kess73 wrote: »
    As for PJ selling out? I can never get that one, if anything they have travelled in the opposite direction during their career to date.

I'm still waiting for the "Did Anathema sell out?" thread. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the "Did Anathema sell out?" thread. ;)

Don't open that can of worms, otherwise it will be followed by a "Paradise Lost, sellouts or not?" thread. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Don't open that can of worms, otherwise it will be followed by a "Paradise Lost, sellouts or not?" thread. :D

At the risk of derailing this thread, i hated "Say Just Words" when i first heard it.
    Now it features regularly on my playlists. :D

Pearl jam never sold out. When they do the coke ad, then i'll agree, but up til now? no, they've re-released their most popular album and as a previous poster said, they've always always said they wanted to go back and get Brendan to fix it.

Another idea is that they're self-funding this new record out of their own pocket & they wanna be able to pay for it. O'Brien is producing and he doesn't come cheap. You'll see a huge push on the new record when it comes out.

Fingers crossed it's brilliant.

+ 1

And I damn well expect it will be! Obama has been elected President, so heres hoping no more political crap like Bushleaguer ;) This is the period where no other proper rock band has released a record and they can do really well in the charts, as well as critical praise. Here's hoping both will come to them! :D

Once I have the name of the new album I'l post a new thread anyways :)

this as a boxset, is incredible. The journal is absolutely brilliant and the unplugged dvd got me excited again and reminded me why i fell in love with them. well worth the money. best boxset i've ever seen by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

no. i dont think PJ have sold out at all. I just find that the original is a cool album, and I dont think it sounds necessarily bad. Ive seen a video before of the unplugged show and its f**king amazing.
    Now ye have got my curiosity going. I'll get a listen off a mate first...:mad::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Just listening to the remixes here...
    Black is a big improvement.There use to be a wanky synth pad under that song which now sounds like it's been replaced by a Rhodes or a Wurlitzer.

Don't like the sound of Eddie's voice on the remixes.

seriously? think his voice sounds far better. taste thing i spose...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Yeah it just sounds like it's coming from a different place to me.
    I don't think it sits on the mix properly.

Although i am listening to mp3's so maybe i should shut up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

really looking forward to this....first time i saw unplugged i had goosebumps...so f***ing powerful.....pearl jam have not sold out and bizarrely have ended up having more integrity and punk attitude than nirvana ever did by going up against ticketmaster and fighting a losing battle on the basis of whats right (among other endeavors)........funny as cobain called them corporate rock....how ironic....

lads..ye just HAFTA hear the Drop in the Park gig that comes with the box set..i have never heard them play so well or so hard from any of the 92 stuff i have..anyone know where i could upload it so people can get it?

How could you not love this band??
    3096335863_70458fbd7a.jpg

lads..ye just HAFTA hear the Drop in the Park gig that comes with the box set..i have never heard them play so well or so hard from any of the 92 stuff i have..anyone know where i could upload it so people can get it?

It is a cracker of a show from that era (and the official release makes it sound even better!), the whole tours of 91 and 92 were so intense, its one of my favourite from that timeframe.

Love this vid, especially the nutter going mental in the background for the entire show (it is NOT Chris Cornell!!)

Also, Dave A. has started his own youtube channel, some great rare stuff on there already, Stone destroying his first guitar being one!!

Its on youtube under the user name FreeAssRecords!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm glad the Pearl Jam buzz is back! I went to see them in New York last year, and the Pearl Jam world has been quiet since. The boxset seems great (although I haven't purchased it myself, I don't know why), I've listened to the remixed and remastered tracks. Really loving them except Breath and SOLAT made me cringe a li'l :o

I can't wait for the new album to be released, and to follow them around the world on tour as only Pearl Jam fans do :D

mike pretty much let it slip that there'll be a short us tour around september (which if rumours are true will include the acl festival), im thinkin west coast since last year was east. I think i might manage 4-5 shows! Roll on tour info!! Probably little or no touring next year as eddie has said one of the band is expectin a baby and it'd be unlikely

So any chance of a European tour this year lads?! :o

So any chance of a European tour this year lads?! :o
    My guess would be probably not, as i was saying above about what mike has said, even a few shows would be nice though.

• Advertisement

My guess would be probably not, as i was saying above about what mike has said, even a few shows would be nice though.

Aw man, I can't afford to travel to the States, no matter how much i want to see them! :(

Advertisement