Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to get laptop fixed

Options
  • 30-01-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a good place to get a laptop fixed in Limerick. I remember a thread here a few months ago that listed someplace in town. Think it was on Thomas street. Can't find the thread. Any recommendations are welcomed.

Rosboy

Comments

I've used the PC medic in Movie Drome on Henry St a few times and find it great. Can't remember exact price but know it was way less than I'd expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I've used the PC medic in Movie Drome on Henry St a few times and find it great. Can't remember exact price but know it was way less than I'd expected.

Thanks. Where on Henry street is Movie Drome? Do you know if they're open on a Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There is also the PC Doctor in PC World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

rosboy wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I'm looking for a good place to get a laptop fixed in Limerick. I remember a thread here a few months ago that listed someplace in town. Think it was on Thomas street. Can't find the thread. Any recommendations are welcomed.

Rosboy

Micro Ireland
    11 Thomas St.,
    061-316433, 405320

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

snowman707 wrote: »
    Micro Ireland
    11 Thomas St.,
    061-316433, 405320

I've used him a few times on my PC and he has also fixed my daughters Dell Laptop, very good and reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

hi rosboy,what problem you having with your laptop?

jackncoke wrote: »
    hi rosboy,what problem you having with your laptop?

Hi Jackncoke. Its my brothers laptop actually. After booting, the screen will go black after a minute or so. The computer remains on, I just can't see the screen. If I power it down and start it again, the same thing happens.

I know a little about computers myself. I've opened up and had a look around but can't see any loose connections or anything.

Have you tried it with an external monitor?
    Does the same thing happen?Sounds like the backlight inverter is fubbered

Have you tried it with an external monitor?
    Does the same thing happen?Sounds like the backlight inverter is fubbered

Ya it worked fine with an ext monitor. Is the backlight inverter a big deal to fix/replace? Its a fairly old notebook. Mightn't be worth replacing.

Could be expensive enough....try and get a quote off the shop first.
    You could always use Ebay to source the parts ,its not the easiest thing to do yourself tho.

• Advertisement

Could be expensive enough....try and get a quote off the shop first.
    You could always use Ebay to source the parts ,its not the easiest thing to do yourself tho.

Is there any way of knowing if it definitely is the inverter?

LOL. I saw the multimeter and knew I was out of my league without even reading it all:D. I'll get a pro to have a look at it. Thanks for the advise jackncoke.

Let us know how much you get quoted anyway,you could always use it as a desktop replacement if you decide not to go ahead with it!

Let us know how much you get quoted anyway,you could always use it as a desktop replacement if you decide not to go ahead with it!

Will do. Hadn't thought of using it sole as a desktop replacement......I might offer my brother a few euro for it so!

rosboy wrote: »
    Thanks. Where on Henry street is Movie Drome? Do you know if they're open on a Saturday morning?

It's just a bit up from the Subway on Henry Street, up towards O'Curry St direction. I don't know if the PC guy himself will be there on a Saturday (He runs a workshop off the dvd rental place) But they'll take the laptop off you at the desk and get you to fill in a form with what's wrong with it. I'd used two other pc repair places before (Thomas St one and one that used to be on O'Connell St I think?) and found this one the most reasonable. It suited me anyway! Good luck with the laptop

Advertisement