Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dream classic

• 30-01-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

if you could pick the classic of your dreams regardless of cost... and that means ANY classic...what would you have???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Aston_Martin-V8_Vantage_1977_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

My two "dream cars".

Toyota 2000GT:
    731561_2.jpg

731561_3.jpg

Mercedes SL300 Gullwing
    1290793_2.jpg

1290793_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

never seen a toyota like that before....the old gullwing would be mine too just waiting to see how long before someone else came up with it too............vantage is a serious bit of machinery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I just couldn't not take one
    1967-Shelby-GT-500-Eleanor-Custom-A.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

any classic ...regardless of cost he says. :D

30mb_710_SSK_Trossi_Roadster_2.jpg
    30mb_710_SSK_Trossi_Roadster_1.jpg
    30mb_710_SSK_Trossi_Roadster_3.jpg

Mercedes Benz 710 SSK "Count Trossi"

7 liter straight six, supercharged, designed by good old Ferdinand P., custom body

yepp, that'll do ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429:

1969_Boss429_3.jpg

A real man's car! Not for girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

My choice. 10euro if you guess what it is ?
    2vx4sw3.jpg

Some form of Alfa?

5euro to Mr Limerick Man for the make...now the model...
    Some form of Alfa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    Mercedes Benz 710 SSK "Count Trossi"

300BHP over 80 years ago :eek:

They don't make men like Carlo Trossi anymore either:
    the SSK was shortly after purchased by the Count Carlo Felice Trossi.

The young Count was the heir to a large Textile empire and had a wide range of hobbies including ornithology, racing boats, airplanes and racing cars. Shortly before purchasing his SSK, he was appointed president of the recently formed Scuderia Ferrari. His tasks were not restricted to executive duties, but he was also a very quick racing driver. He had his new Mercedes-Benz shipped to the little known British coachbuilder Willy White to have it fitted with a lavish two-seater roadster body. To this day it is unclear who actually penned its design, but it has gone into history as one of the finest. The long fenders added a touch of elegant to the large Mercedes as did the pointy tail. In contrast to the bright white racers, Trossi had his SSK painted a very shiny black. Needless to say the Count loved his SSK and used it both for cruising around the town and in hillclimbs. He sold the car and bought it back twice and then held onto it until his untimely death in 1949

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've always wanted a Hertz Mustang. I will someday (replica), but not right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jeebus, that Trossi was gorgeous. Has hint of UK design all right, hints of SS100 at the front and Squire in it........yum

Me......mmmm....Alfa 8C....probably the 2900B, but I'd love an 8c-35, just to do the Ballyalaban Hillclimb in Clare :)

1938_AlfaRomeo_8C2900B3.jpg

More here: http://www.supercars.net/Pics?v=y&s=c&id=29&p=1938_AlfaRomeo_8C2900B3.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I always thought Cord were nice, but a Gullwing'd do me.

1937-cord-812-supercharged-phaeton-black-low-res.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

kyote00 wrote: »
    My choice. 10euro if you guess what it is ?
    2vx4sw3.jpg

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

smashing cars so far

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale.

That's what i thought, don't think it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

+1 for the 8C and the Nazi staff car.

Some form of Alfa?

How about an Arna?

Max_Damage wrote: »
    How about an Arna?

Lol, i was replying to the lads question about what car was it.

Lol, i was replying to the lads question about what car was it.

Ahh the arna.....almost as rare as the Canguro....

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2407/Alfa-Romeo-Canguro.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

My two "dream cars".

Toyota 2000GT:
    731561_2.jpg

731561_3.jpg

Mercedes SL300 Gullwing
    1290793_2.jpg

1290793_3.jpg

I helped out a mate restore one a '67 2000GT it was eventually sold to Nicolas Cage, it was white. At one point... every single part of it was laid out in an organized fashion in a huge warehouse. He had to fabricate many of the replacement parts (gaskets, rubber bits, machined parts only using broken parts as guides.) I remember it had a straight 6, and when it was finished it idled nearly silent, could hardly tell it was running and when you accelerated it was really loud and made the dash vibrate... great car, not many people know about them. Over three years it came together, and yes I did get a test drive. Ooh I also remember he fitted it with Yokohama tires...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Toyota 2000GT:
    731561_3.jpg

I've never heard of that car before, but it's a looker! A looker from Japan? :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    I've never heard of that car before, but it's a looker! A looker from Japan? :eek:

It featured in the James Bond film 'You Only Live Twice':

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_2661-Toyota-2000-GT-MF10-1966.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

SE21-AUN-AutoUnion.jpg

Just because I could :D

And the daily run around :D

another vote for the SL

Mercedes%20Gullwing%20300sl%201.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

It'd have to be the gullwing for me aswell, stunning. Id also be quite happy with a DB5 or even a nice 3.0 CSL!!

800px-BMW_30CSL_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would take anyof the above. The 2000GT in the Bond film was roofless, it had no roof at all. They only made 2 of them AFAIK but there have been a few converted. Not sure if the original Bond ne survives, heard it was destroyed after filming.

That first Gullwingpicture shows a Gullwing with a Roadster front end never seen that don before.

Personally I prefer te 300SL Roadster, more civilised, wind in the hair and faster !

82524.jpg

.........fancy on of these too,

1955_Mercedes_300_SLR_coupe_f3q.JPG

Cant make my mind up any further but...........

Mercedes-Benz-280_SE_3.5_Cabriolet_1969_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

homer90 wrote: »
    SE21-AUN-AutoUnion.jpg

I was watching a program one night fairly late and that was on it, i think. Most expsensive car in the world is it? Or was that another one?

I was watching a program one night fairly late and that was on it, i think. Most expsensive car in the world is it? Or was that another one?

Yeah watched that too on disc turbo ! It had to be withdrawn from auction to check its racing history, ...... Some history behind them !

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2007/02/the_15_million_.html

Yeah watched that too on disc turbo ! It had to be withdrawn from auction to check its racing history, ...... Some history behind them !

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2007/02/the_15_million_.html

Thanks. Lol I didn't even watch the end of it. Went to bed half way through i think.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Lol I didn't even watch the end of it. Went to bed half way through i think.

TUT TUT and you call yourself a car fan :D:D:D

TUT TUT and you call yourself a car fan :D:D:D

I call myself very very tired haha:D

Wasn't there a problem with the Auto Union racer in that Audi recreated one, using parts from another, which latershowed up complete in Russia or something ?

Anyone know the full / proper story ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My choice hasn't changed since the last of these threads!

1.jpg
    Ferrari 275 GTS

I won €36 in the Euromillions on Saturday. I just need those other few numbers next week. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gdev77

I agree with you re the 275 GTS. She's a beauty :)
    I'll be doing the euro million myself this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

a clean 325i e30 would be ideal but id settle for a 1970 skyline coupe or simular corrolla...

nearly practical classic. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Dades wrote: »
    My choice hasn't changed since the last of these threads!

1.jpg
    Ferrari 275 GTS

I won €36 in the Euromillions on Saturday. I just need those other few numbers next week. :D

I got overtaken by one of these or maybe a 330GTS, a few years ago on the dual carriageway out of Galway, it was a wet misty evening during race week and these pair of pale yellow headlamps came up quickly in the rear view mirror, and then this navy blue Ferrari with the top down came past doing about 90.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Blue850 wrote: »
    I got overtaken by one of these or maybe a 330GTS, a few years ago on the dual carriageway out of Galway, it was a wet misty evening during race week and these pair of pale yellow headlamps came up quickly in the rear view mirror, and then this navy blue Ferrari with the top down came past doing about 90.
    Very rare to spot - and even rarer in the rain I'd imagine!

Pity you didn't get a pic for the "Today I Spotted a Classic" thread. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

It was a good while ago ,I was driving a white Vectra and its 10 years since i had that, pre digital camera era, its just stands out in my memory, that and and seeing Kinahans Commercial's Countach on the road once, reg KIN 1.
    I remeber going home that evening and checking Classic and Sportscar magazines value list 60's Ferrari convertibles were worth hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I never really went for ferraris,astons and the like,if i had the cash to buy and run one it would be something like this,but it would have to have the V12 Engine...:)
    Jaguar_XJC12.jpg
    Love the XJ shape,and the coupe more so...

Oh the Coupe is a fantastic car... Not mad gone on those wheels though.

• Advertisement

Oh the Coupe is a fantastic car... Not mad gone on those wheels though.
    Just thinking about it and being honest,if i won the lottery tomorrow id buy one of these before id buy a classic and mod it something like this
    0501lre_02z+2004_Rolls_Royce_Phantom+Front_View.jpgThe design of this car is truly spectacular..This will do as a project car...:Dhttp://www.carzone.ie/search/Rolls-Royce/Phantom/www.desc/200903191524795/advert

I'm a bit of a big car fan myself. 7 series/A8/XJ etc. etc. The RR is really the Cherry on top

usedcars.jpg

I'm a bit of a big car fan myself. 7 series/A8/XJ etc. etc. The RR is really the Cherry on top
    Yep,the more stupidly expensive the better(just because ill never be able to afford it:D)
    I have a brochure for the last 7 series thats 110 pages..:pYou know its a serious car then!

Yep,the more stupidly expensive the better(just because ill never be able to afford it:D)
    I have a brochure for the last 7 series thats 110 pages..:pYou know its a serious car then!

Haha aye, serious waste of money:P

We might get kicked out for the new car talk:P

Haha aye, serious waste of money:P

We might get kicked out for the new car talk:P
    Ok ok..heres a pimped shadow to adress the balance...:p
    2559239_379_full.jpg

:eek:

My god!! Looks photoshoppped lol!

You'd pick an RR up for handy money.

The day the W126 or W140 Mercedes hits 30 years i'll be a happy man:D

You'd pick an RR up for handy money.
    You would,but repair bills would forcibly bend you over the wall... :rolleyes:

You would,but repair bills would forcibly bend you over the wall... :rolleyes:

I'd say i'd train myself to be a fully qualified mechanc for the costs of getting a light bulb replaced on either of them. :D

Yeah I'd fancy a straight and standard W140. I was lookingvlast night and very good ones can be had for Stg£5k. A chap I know in the Club bought an S600, fully loaded, FMBSH and I have to say I am strongly thinking about it.

Then again I am always strongly thinking about buying something or other but the lack of car cash somehow always prevents it !

Always fancied one of these, I suppose having money for dream cars means you have garage psace for several too.

1950-1959-cadillac-9.jpg

MercMad wrote: »
    Yeah I'd fancy a straight and standard W140. I was lookingvlast night and very good ones can be had for Stg£5k. A chap I know in the Club bought an S600, fully loaded, FMBSH and I have to say I am strongly thinking about it.

Then again I am always strongly thinking about buying something or other but the lack of car cash somehow always prevents it !

Always fancied one of these, I suppose having money for dream cars means you have garage psace for several too.

1950-1959-cadillac-9.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/500/SEL/200903191497453/advert

Plus 2700ish vrt and the dreaded 1400 tax lol. Nice motor, that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement