Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 20mb or Smart 24mb?

Options
  • 30-01-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Which should I go for?

Gaming is a major priority for choosing between these. I was reading the UPC throttle torrents.. is this a problem to get around? How about smart?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

For gaming Smart without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I see they have only 500kbs upstream though? Would that not be a problem?

su_dios wrote: »
    I see they have only 500kbs upstream though? Would that not be a problem?
    Should be no problem, the whole gaming needing a massive upload speed thing is a myth. As long as you don't have someone else in your house constantly seeding torrents or something 500kilobits should be more than enough. If you get it and a few months down the line you decide you need a little more they have a 1mbit upload add on for an extra 10 quid.

Cool. Do I have to get the phone service? Says BB is 45eur a month but then down the bottom it says 70eur a month. I just want the BB. I also need to make sure my line can take it(we have IBB because eircom couldn't give us broadband about 5years ago due to poor line in a suburb about 1/2km from the exchange.).

Cool. Do I have to get the phone service? Says BB is 45eur a month but then down the bottom it says 70eur a month. I just want the BB. I also need to make sure my line can take it(we have IBB because eircom couldn't give us broadband about 5years ago due to poor line in a suburb about 1/2km from the exchange.).

Well you need a phoneline for it so you do have to pay for line rental, its 45 euro for the broadband and then another 25 for the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

smart 24mb depends on your distance from the exchange-definitely not available to all
    check with your neighbours, if they are with smart as to what speed they are getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pjproby wrote: »
    smart 24mb depends on your distance from the exchange-definitely not available to all
    check with your neighbours, if they are with smart as to what speed they are getting.

+1
    I've been with Smart for a good while and am delighted with the service, but due to my distance from the exchange the best I can get is about 12MB.

Once UPC is avaialable in my area, I'll probably move to them, though I've never had anything but satisfaction from Smart. An excellent ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

UPC do not throttle torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

due to my distance from the exchange i am lucky to get 5mb with smart-delighted with their service though-would be reluctant to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

UPC do not throttle torrents
    Well I'm looking at evidence of just the opposite right in front of me. Posted the figures in the p2p thread.

• Advertisement

We have our phone service with eircom. Do we have to switch to smart to get broadband so? I'm confused on that bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We have our phone service with eircom. Do we have to switch to smart to get broadband so? I'm confused on that bit.

Yes. Smart don't provide boradband on it's own, moving to their phone service is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

if your using it for xbox upc but if for pc smart, because on xbox you will benefit from being able to host games and pulling host in matchmaking making your gaming experience a lot better. upload is needed for console gaming.

Advertisement