Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowan - Quantum of Leadership

Options
  • 30-01-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

According to all experts and pundits, we're facing the most challenging economic time since the foundation of the state.

Is it just me, or does the leader of our country appear to be undertaking a media-ducking exercise?

In the past number of weeks Cowan's been on a trade mission to Japan and is now attending the Economic conference in Davos as I type.

There seems to be a total lack of communication on the part of Brian Cowan to the people of Ireland.

I did criticise Obama for the blandness of his inauguration speech, but in contrast, Cowan's utterances to the collected media by last Wednesday that "we'll do it my way" appeared to be the mumblings of a bumpkin who was not only out of his depth, but out of his league as the highest remunerated elected leader of a Western democracy.

We need a 'state of the Union' address, we need a Churchillian portent of doom, we need the leader of our country to say something, anything just so we know we're not all wigging-out for nothing.

We have nothing or no one to rally behind and instead we're all just left with our own feelings of personal panic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Biffo would not know what to say, as he does not have a clue. Not weeks ago him and dozy Coughlan said the economy was beyond our control as it was a global problem. So thats were it stands as far as what Biffo has to say or offer IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I believe that a state of the nation media pep talk excercise will do little to correct this.
    I also believe that Brian Lenihan's capabilities do little to bolster confidence.
    It's all very well parading Biffo onto state television to tell us "do it his way" , and maybe it would bolster the hardline Fianna Fail supporters, but the majority of normal down to earth people in the country have no confidence whatsoever.
    More importantly he has the bond market to convince as well as ourselves, and by the looks of it they have already made their decision on his capablities and the prospect for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cowen at Davos is a fish out of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Cowen at Davos is a fish out of water.

He belongs back in the Galway tent, like a pig in sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

His problem is he lacks any sort of charisma or conviction in what he's saying. I don't dislike the man but nor do I particularly warm to him. Say what you like about Bertie but he had effortless charm possibly even when the media were inquiring about his finances. I think Cowen actually understands his lack of presence on tv, radio etc. and hence tries to limit his involvement with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

aherne should be charged with treason for putting clown cowen in charge of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I believe that a state of the nation media pep talk excercise will do little to correct this.

A la CJ Haughey? Those who remember that particlular little exercise are unlikely to be filled with confidence by another Fianna Fail Taoiseach and ex Finance Minister who has presided over the country going down the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Give the man a chance he is too busy putting together his plan for economic recovery:rolleyes: Just give him and the goverment another few months. We will be fine as long as we are not bankrupt by then and even if we are im sure the ECB will be more than willing to bail us out:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

This guy is to the future of our economy what Garry Glitter is to child healthcare-dangerous. The guy is an absolute fu*king joke, and the joke is on us.

Give the man a chance he is too busy putting together his plan for economic recovery:rolleyes: Just give him and the goverment another few months. We will be fine as long as we are not bankrupt by then and even if we are im sure the ECB will be more than willing to bail us out:o

Give the man a grasp by the shoulder and run him out of Leinster House and f*ck him into the nearest pub on Kildare Street where he belongs, where he can't do any more damage to the rest of us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I dont think there's anything to quantify, rather just a vacuum !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

According to all experts and pundits, we're facing the most challenging economic time since the foundation of the state.

Is it just me, or does the leader of our country appear to be undertaking a media-ducking exercise?

In the past number of weeks Cowan's been on a trade mission to Japan and is now attending the Economic conference in Davos as I type.

There seems to be a total lack of communication on the part of Brian Cowan to the people of Ireland.

I did criticise Obama for the blandness of his inauguration speech, but in contrast, Cowan's utterances to the collected media by last Wednesday that "we'll do it my way" appeared to be the mumblings of a bumpkin who was not only out of his depth, but out of his league as the highest remunerated elected leader of a Western democracy.

We need a 'state of the Union' address, we need a Churchillian portent of doom, we need the leader of our country to say something, anything just so we know we're not all wigging-out for nothing.

We have nothing or no one to rally behind and instead we're all just left with our own feelings of personal panic.

I find it hilarious that the leader of this country has legged it to Davos when there are ongoing disussions in the government this week with the so called 'Social Partners'. Which was more important do you think? I think being in government laying down the law about the way things are going to be. Then again, for that to happen Biffo would need to know what he is doing and would involve some work.

What I find truly alarming is that he thinks that he knows what he's doing and that he probably believes that anyone criticising him is a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

any footage of cowen at davos, of him telling barraso we're not iceland

hear about putin telling off michell dell for offering to help russia, and putin says we not invalids thank you very much, we've the best programmers in the world
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=OMR1BZ9aYM8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that the leader of this country has legged it to Davos when there are ongoing disussions in the government this week with the so called 'Social Partners'.
    Charity Leadership begins at home.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What I find truly alarming is that he thinks that he knows what he's doing and that he probably believes that anyone criticising him is a moron.

There is a humility lacking in the man that is nothing less than frightening. Still as of today, it's more talking and waffling within a so called partnership process that is nothing other than a hot air shop for narrow vested interests and a breeding ground for protectionist employment policies. He is completely out of touch with reality, he should have only one immediate objective, stop job losses. He doesn't even seem to have this objective in mind, let alone have a measurable plan to implement the objective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any state of the nation speech would be self defeating at this stage, it would be the object of pure mockery. Should have done it last summer, except everyone was on hollidays pretending none of this would happen back then.

Going by Cowen's previous form, he will quit his current post for something less stressful any day now. He doesn't seem to be able to cope in stressful situations, they seem to get in the way of his drinking.

Surely there must be one or two unsung, but highly qualified advisors giving him some guidance. Is there some old cobweb-covered sage in the cellar of Leinster House who is called upon in times of economic crisis? It can't be Ken Whitaker - as he would have it sorted by now.

Maybe we need a new Minister for Hardship?

Where's Frank Hall when you need him most (well, dead, obviously).

Is it just me, or like dogs and their owners, do Ministers eventually begin to resemble and take on physical characteristics of the offices they inherit?

• Advertisement

Maybe we need a new Minister for Hardship?

Where's Frank Hall when you need him most (well, dead, obviously).

Is it just me, or like dogs and their owners, do Ministers eventually begin to resemble and take on physical characteristics of the offices they inherit?

F Hall? How appropriate, given that's what we're probably going to end up with.

of course, I wasn't in Ireland when that must have been on - was too busy destroying another economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jaysus Mike, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yidkid

i feel sorry for biffo but he needs to get his act together or gtfo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he seriously does need to do a tv broadcast, who cares about the comparions, where the monthly news conference or something like other leaders do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The man is no dummy.
    By giving in to the unions to a great extent, he's cutting down on the possible reasons for mass strikes and streets protests to take place.
    Hit where it will hurt most but have the least bounce-back effect - thats a political rule he's working by, so expect more of the general public to take more hits in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Hi Biggins

If this property tax becomes an option/mooted alternative, I do see people protesting.

Or do you think this is not an option?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If we have to pay, which we clearly do - I'll grit my teeth like make and take the wallet wack be it as a house tax or whatever - but the cowardly action to let unions off (because they might help to bring down the government?) is just another nail in the coffin of the rest of the population who are now even going to pay more now for those unwilling to pay at all!

Advertisement