Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help, Restrictor Kit/Cert for Bandit 1200

• 30-01-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi there, I used to ride bikes a few years ago, that was until I broke my collar bone, long story so I wont go into it. Anyways I let my last two licences lapse and am now renewing it again but I have to start at the beginning. As a result I will have to restrict my bike, it's a 1200 bandit. The thing is I have just started checking around and the prices are crazy, 350 euro, I think that's a bit much for a packet of washers and a piece of paper. Dose anyone know where I could get the kit fitted for a reasonable price.

Also, is it true that if I am stopped at a garda checkpoint can they ask me to produce my cert of restriction along with my insurance if I am on a A learner permit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have a wander over to www.biker.ie and do a search for Tom600, Here's a post from him

His signature says he supplies and fits them for €240. If you want me to PM him on the site drop me a PM here.

I am on a restricted 650 Bandit and I never carry my cert with me. If you do get stopped I'd say they would ask you to produce it at the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Have a wander over to www.biker.ie and do a search for Tom600, Here's a post from him

His signature says he supplies and fits them for €240. If you want me to PM him on the site drop me a PM here.

I am on a restricted 650 Bandit and I never carry my cert with me. If you do get stopped I'd say they would ask you to produce it at the station.
    That's exactly what I was going to advise! Tom600 on Biker.ie is by far the cheapest in the Republic. His mobile number is 0858453899. Give him a buzz! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

I got mine done in paul ryan motorcycles for 200 yoyo's. shop around. As far as i know if they think the bike was going too fast to be restricted they can ask you to produce but haven't heard of it too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tom600

I got mine done in paul ryan motorcycles for 200 yoyo's. shop around. As far as i know if they think the bike was going too fast to be restricted they can ask you to produce but haven't heard of it too often.

you must have bought the bike off him and he did you a deal,

it costs 200 for the restrictor kit alone not inc postage which is another 12 stearling, theres no shop in ireland doing them for that price:)

edit... link to the site that sells them...

http://www.fiinternational.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Tom600 is your only man, he does all my stuff on the bike. Well he did until he recently barred me from the shop LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

tom600 wrote: »
    you must have bought the bike off him and he did you a deal,

it costs 200 for the restrictor kit alone not inc postage which is another 12 stearling, theres no shop in ireland doing them for that price:)

edit... link to the site that sells them...

http://www.fiinternational.com/

No i bought the bike privately and at the time i was told the kit was only 160 euro so unless its gone up since then :) that was about a year and a half ago. if the bike has carbs its cheaper than fuel injected. id ring around before ordering off the net cos you might get a deal of some sort. let us know how you get on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Sorry for not replying to you posts sooner but the power box on my laptop packed in so I had no access to a net for the last couple of weeks.

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions, will be ringing around tomorrow and will post here as soon as i get a few quotes.

Something that might interest you is while I was on the Internet looking for whatever info I could find on restrictor kits, I discovered that all the kits and there certs here are registered in a database in the UK. I found this very strange because it got me thinking about the legal standing of the kits that we here in Ireland fit to our bikes, ie what legal duristrictional relevance does this have regarding Irish riders.

Anyways I left it at that and thought no more of it until I rang an riding instructor, I explained to him that I was a returning rider and wanted to get some lesions to refresh my lost skills. I told him I was just waiting to get the restrictor kit fitted to my bike and as soon as I had that done I would want to get lessons of him. This is where it got interesting, he explained to me that when I go to take my test I will not be asked to produce my restrictor kit cert, instead I will be asked to sing a document to state that I have a restrictor kit fitted to reduced the bike to the required legal limit.

I was wondering what you think of this because to me this sound like you only need to have the restrictor kit fitted and do not need the cert that goes with it. It appears to me that these certified kits that we are getting from the UK have no legal standing here at all except for the hardware itself and this assumption seems to be reinforce due to the fact the nether the test centers or the Garda ask for them to be produced.

I have no problem having a restrictor kit fitted to my bike, I have no problem paying a reasonable price for it, where I do have a problem is paying for a piece of paper that's not worth the paper its written on.

Maybe I am entirely wrong but if any of you have any info on the matter I would be very interested in reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

theres chaps in limerick that are cheap enough. Cant remember how much. Ill ask me mate.
    Tom600 is sound . Go ta him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Brabazone wrote: »
    Sorry for not replying to you posts sooner but the power box on my laptop packed in so I had no access to a net for the last couple of weeks.

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions, will be ringing around tomorrow and will post here as soon as i get a few quotes.

Something that might interest you is while I was on the Internet looking for whatever info I could find on restrictor kits, I discovered that all the kits and there certs here are registered in a database in the UK. I found this very strange because it got me thinking about the legal standing of the kits that we here in Ireland fit to our bikes, ie what legal duristrictional relevance does this have regarding Irish riders.

Anyways I left it at that and thought no more of it until I rang an riding instructor, I explained to him that I was a returning rider and wanted to get some lesions to refresh my lost skills. I told him I was just waiting to get the restrictor kit fitted to my bike and as soon as I had that done I would want to get lessons of him. This is where it got interesting, he explained to me that when I go to take my test I will not be asked to produce my restrictor kit cert, instead I will be asked to sing a document to state that I have a restrictor kit fitted to reduced the bike to the required legal limit.

I was wondering what you think of this because to me this sound like you only need to have the restrictor kit fitted and do not need the cert that goes with it. It appears to me that these certified kits that we are getting from the UK have no legal standing here at all except for the hardware itself and this assumption seems to be reinforce due to the fact the nether the test centers or the Garda ask for them to be produced.

I have no problem having a restrictor kit fitted to my bike, I have no problem paying a reasonable price for it, where I do have a problem is paying for a piece of paper that's not worth the paper its written on.

Maybe I am entirely wrong but if any of you have any info on the matter I would be very interested in reading it.

It's not for your test that you need the restrictor, nor is it for riding around and getting stopped by the gardai - they'll never ask you to produce under normal circumstances.

However if you are involved in an accident, the gardai will look for the cert and the restrictor installed, if it's not you'll be done for driving without a license (criminal offense), your insurance company will not pay out - because you don't have the correct license to drive the vehicle you're insure on - and your insurance is null and void, meaning you'll have to cover the cost of yourself and anyone you injure or any property you damage.

The gardai may also ask you to produce the cert/bike if you get caught for speeding.

The only way to test whether your bike is restricted in the south of Ireland is for it to be looked at by a mechanic - this is why in normal circumstances you won't be asked, same in the UK - you can remove most of the kits in 5 mins and still have the cert if you get stopped.

What you do is up to you but should something happen, even if it's not your fault, you'll get screwed if you don't have the restrictor fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

colm_c wrote: »
    However if you are involved in an accident, the gardai will look for the cert and the restrictor installed, if it's not you'll be done for driving without a license (criminal offense)
    Correct!
    colm_c wrote: »
    your insurance company will not pay out - because you don't have the correct license to drive the vehicle you're insure on - and your insurance is null and void, meaning you'll have to cover the cost of yourself and anyone you injure or any property you damage.
    That is incorrect. The Insurance Company is obliged to pay out. However, they will then sue you for every single penny they paid out and more! Not worth the risk!!!

• Advertisement

Am still checking into the law regarding this, have looked at all the relevant legal documentation online regarding the restriction of motorcycles and can not find it any specific passage of text that states that you must have a restrictor cert.

Now I understand that your bikes power has to be restricted if you want to ride it legally, I also understand that there is the need for a cert, but nowhere can I find the legal requirement for a rider to have a cert.

I accept that if you are stopped by the Garda they can ask you to produce a cert but a cert does not necessarily mean that the restrictor is fitted.

As for the insurance part of it, the insurance company's only state that you have the required licence to ride the bike, they don't state that you have the required restrictor cert to ride. By this I mean if you have an accident and the insurance company has to investigate the clam then surely they are going to investigate the bike to ascertain whether or not the required restrictor is installed even if you do have the cert.

I am not saying that any of you comments are wrong, you all make very valid points, all I am saying is that the law regrading restriction of motorcycles is flawed and is open to interpretation.

If I buy a second hand restrictor that is specif to my bike and have it installed, am I breaking the law. After all the bike would be restricted according to the law, and therefor would my licence not allow me to ride it, because it meets the requirement of the licensing laws as they stand.

OK guys, have decided not to buy a new restrictor, going to look around for a secondhand one instead and have a mate that's a registered mechanic install it. When he's finished putting it in I will get something written up to state it is certified restricted. Don't see the point throwing away good money, money that I can spend on a good helmet that at the end of the day could save my life compared to a piece of paper that is not even good enough to wipe my rear end.

So if anyone out there has a restrictor kit they have had removed that suites a bandit 1200 1998 model then post here. It may be that you have finished your two years experience after passing you test and you will be removing it. Or you may know someone that has remove one, if you do ask them if they would contact me here. There has to be plenty of these restrictors about that people have dumped in there garage after removing them.

Willing to pay a reasonable price for one, enough to make it you while contacting me.

Advertisement