Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to treat woodworm

• 30-01-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to treat furniture that has woodworm and if so will I be able to fill the holes and paint it after? Also, how do you know if the woodworm is still there and could it effect other wood? Thanks, Pistachio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Yes it is possible to treat it but that depends on the level of infestation. A lot of old dressers, wardrobes etc have a 3 ply panel on the back or between drawers as a dust catcher , woodworm love this.I would replace this wood, however if it you cannot replace the bit in question then treat it. There are a number of proprietary products on the market that deal with woodworm, any good hardware store will stock them. Application methods can include brush, pump sprayer ( advisable to wear a mask) and syringe.

As for painting it , if using oil paint, fill holes with glazing putty and paint. Water based paint, use one of those goops and paint.I would do the above and keep an eye on it , if you see more flight holes later on then burn it or sell the piece in an auction, caveat emptor and all that;)

p.s. a good hardware store run by people who know their business can answer a lot of these questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

For furniture I would recommend the small aerosol cans of Cuprinol clear with a small nozel, which allow you to inject the flight holes. I find it quite economical, even though it's a small can, as you are treating the flight holes and canals directly. Even if you flood the timber using a paint brush alone you'll never reach into the heart of the timber.

When I visited an historic house in England a few years ago I saw an innovative method used there to treat huge oak tables and other furniture- the items were sealed up in heavy gauge plastic "bags", hermetically sealed and then pumped with CO2- die bastards die! For small timber items like tools handles etc. I've heard that freezing the item (as long as its bone dry of course) in your domestic deep freezer will kill off any infestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Pistachio

Thank you both very much for replies, will give it a go.
    Pistachio

• Registered Users Posts: 18 keithmaw

Using a pump sprayer and a long life woodworm fluid with Permethrin in it will work best. I work in pest control for Onguard pest control and its what we would use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I just picked up some stuff called Tritech from the Damp store. Going to put it into a pump sprayer for use on timber in an attic. €70 for a bottle that makes up 25L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 WLH

I've just treated a piece of furniture with sheep dip. Worked wonderfully, little black bugs abandoning ship sharpish. Borrow a quarter cup of dip from a friendly sheep farmer, dilute it with water (cup/cup and a half) and coat liberally. Do this outdoors! Wear gloves! Be very careful - sheep dip is NASTY!

Advertisement