Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Setup on Blackberry Storm

Options
  • 30-01-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I recently bought a Blackberry Storm and I would like to connect to a wireless network. I have searched on the internet how to do this, but I could not find the answer I needed.

I use the Blackberry Storm with a PAYG simcard from Vodafone. Of course, I have called Vodafone, and they told me that there were no settings available for my handset using prepay. But it should be possible to connect to my own wireless network at home, right?

I read on several threads on various websites that I should go to "setup wifi" in the "options menu". The thing is: this is nowhere to be found. Does anyone have a solution for this?

The handset isn't locked and the software is up to date. I know that I am not able to connect to the Blackberry Internet Server as you need a Billpay for that, but I only want to connect to my own wireless network, basically to check my webmail or use Yahoo or Facebook without having to start up my PC.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

The storm doesn't have any wifi connectivity so unfortunately you can't connect to a wireless network. It's one of the major disadvantages of owning a storm the fact it has no wifi. Bluetooth and 3G are the only types of information transfer protocols that are on the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lachoexi

Thank you. It isn't an essential need for me, but it would have been nice. While I was playing with it, it popped up in the help-section, telling all about connecting to a wireless network. But I am not a technical wizz, so maybe my next question my sound thick... what is the wireless that they're talking about on the Storm in this help-section and how can people claim that it does have wifi? Don't get me wrong or think that I don't take your answer serious, but I just want to learn to know my handset a bit better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

No problem, I'm using a storm myself. The wireless network is actually the GSM/UMTS network that you are connecting to. In previous blackberrys phone coverage was sort of listed as wireless radio. You can switch off coverage in manage connections. Under manage connections if you click services status it will list the present services that are available on the storm. The Storm does not have WLAN connectivity which is what you want.

It's available on the Blackberry Bold alright if you want to compare specs on gsmarena.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

RodVelvet wrote: »
    No problem, I'm using a storm myself. The wireless network is actually the GSM/UMTS network that you are connecting to. In previous blackberrys phone coverage was sort of listed as wireless radio. You can switch off coverage in manage connections. Under manage connections if you click services status it will list the present services that are available on the storm. The Storm does not have WLAN connectivity which is what you want.

It's available on the Blackberry Bold alright if you want to compare specs on gsmarena.com.

Hi quick question have any of you been able to get the mail app working through Vodafone live - I keep getting the error message "tunnel failed"

Sorry I meant the gmail app! I find the storm very hard to use on online forms - a virtual scroll bar would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 captainred

I bought my blackberry storm from e-bay on the advert of it having "wireless" but as i found it it did not mean wlan, just your normal network coverage.

I think it is a great phone however i cant use most of the functions as i cant get settings for it on meteor.

Can anybody help?

Download gmail, opera mini, google maps and you agoupd be up qnd running. You might have to reset the tcip settings - there are numerous posts in this forum to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 captainred

Thanks ill try it later!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zmnt

my storm app list says i have bbm... but it is no where to be found on my phone!! can anyone please assist me..

Advertisement