Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pianists: missing the keys and having to look etc...

Options
  • 30-01-2009 9:52pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to determine if I am expecting too much or not enough...

Basically, I'm finally getting sheet music into my head (it seems a dumb way to notate stuff but I'm rolling with it :) ). I have all the keys memorised so I know my C's from my A's etc and dont seem to have a problem with finger dexterity but...

I dont seem to be able to string more then a phrase at a time together without stopping to look for the next key to start the next phrase.

Now, I know (or am told) that this comes from practise. But after 4 months I would have expected it to be like typing but instead its very far away from that.

I dont seem to be able to hit a key cleanly with my left hand and end up being unsure and having to glance over to it which then sends everything to hell :)

Am I expecting too much or should I be able to do this by now? Any exercises I can do for it?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

How about getting someone to call out notes or chords to you at random and you have to play them? My bass teacher used to do it with me, it kinda caught me a few times. But its good practice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi DeVore,

Common problem allright esp for beginners,,this is called developing a keyboard sense..it'll drive you mental for a while ,,sometimes you'll find yourself lookin when you dont even need to..learning the piano thru sheetmusic can be a very visual experience as opposed to musical..

So how to learn your way round a piano..

These might help!
    • close your eyes and run your fingers over the black keys to find any adjacent white note you name..feel for the 3 or the 2 black notes..
    • Next (eyes closed) name any 2 white notes and try and find one for each hand at the same time. Then reverse the notes.
    • Now to get used to jumping round the keys. 1st start with octave jumps on the black keys. Say C# down to the lower C# (thumb and little finger)..Start slow motion like a train then get faster....When you get used to the black keys move to the white keys..
    • Now keep jumping those octaves but change fingers e.g. C#-C# with Thumb(1) to Pinky(5) then switch to Thumb(1) to Ring Finger(4) then thumb-Middle finger etc..keep up untill you end back on Thumb little finger octave.
    • Next try it eyes closed..start slow motion again..
    • Try above 2 hands at the same time (mirror image rh going up with left going down)
    • pick any 2 notes on the keyboard (wide leap)..start slow and jump between the 2 then try to speed up..notice how your eyes will start to look for the next note while your hand is playing the current note..this is what your aiming for..
    • It's always good to practice these to a beat (START SLOWWWW)...try stamping your foot for every 2 notes ..it's good to make the beat a physical thing..
    Hope that helps..let me know if you try it ..you'll have good days and bad days but look back and see how far you've come...

Advertisement