Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farewell my twenties

Options
  • 30-01-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

So emmm I am turing 30 next Friday. I kinda have the heebie jeebies and do you know why??? - well i was in the shop the other day and a woman said to her daughter "mind the lady". In my tiny mind I thought I was still a "mind the girl" candidate. That on top of someone referring to my other half as my partner nearly sent me over the edge! (seeing as i am already over the hill)

Well Ladies that's all!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well happy birthday in advance!!:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Early happy smurfday!Ive got approx 2.5 months of my 20s left.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

MJOR wrote: »
    well i was in the shop the other day and a woman said to her daughter "mind the lady". In my tiny mind I thought I was still a "mind the girl" candidate.
    wouldnt worry about that. i used to work in a supermarket and mother's would sometimes threaten to "get the man" (indicating me) if their kids were messing. I was about 17 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So emmm I am turing 30 next Friday. I kinda have the heebie jeebies and do you know why??? - well i was in the shop the other day and a woman said to her daughter "mind the lady". In my tiny mind I thought I was still a "mind the girl" candidate. That on top of someone referring to my other half as my partner nearly sent me over the edge! (seeing as i am already over the hill)

Well Ladies that's all!

Nah, I've been "mind the lady" since in my teens!
    But happy bday in advance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

bluewolf wrote: »
    Nah, I've been "mind the lady" since in my teens!

So have I! No idea why though.

Happy early Birthday OP! I'm sure it only gets better and better.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Me too! Working in restaurants, "the lady" is the ultimate parental weapon, so I've been 'the lady' since I was about 18!

Hilariously, one of my little cousins (who didn't remember me) once said to his mum, after I'd gone out to get his football from the road, "the lady went out and got it for me". How we laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I've also noticed that I'm doing things like using eye cream and baking queen cakes. I think I maybe am turning into my mom. I also check all knickers for a "cotton gusset". hmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭AnnieB82

I wouldn't mind being called a lady more - I still get 'mind the girl' and I'm 26. I still don't get into pubs half the time without ID and the 17 year old sales assistants in Lidl laugh at me when trying to buy alcohol after I tell them my true age after they ask for id. So I dunno, if it's really that great to be seen as being younger! ... Have a great birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been getting "mind the lady" since I was about 18!

Still better than someone thinking I'm a guy though, and that's happened 3 times in the last year :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

whats worse op, (and when it really hit me) is when filling out forms you may have to tick the 30-40 box!:(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was working in a shop one time, and needed to get to the staff door at the back. The shop was fairly crowded with customers, and there was a girl in my way. She had her back to me, and had long blonde hair, I assumed she was 8-10. I said something along the lines of "Sorry chicken, can I just get past you there?" She turned around to face me, and to my horror I realised she was a midget and was probably in the 25-30 range. I was horrendously embarrassed cos I think I really offended her.

Moral of the story? It is better for people to assume you are a lady than to assume you are a child

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

yeah ive been "the lady" since i was about 19 (at which age i was also told i looked 14..?). people just use it to be polite, you might still look 21 for all we know :pac:

happy birthday in advance :D

whats worse op, (and when it really hit me) is when filling out forms you may have to tick the 30-40 box!:(

I totally had not thought of that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah I had that experience too, some guy tells his kid "Ask that lady there the time" - I was 28 and looking around me for this 'lady' who had a watch on.

Also, on the "cotton gusset" thing, I read that and roffled till I nearly puked.

The things you start doing when you hit thirty - I've started drinking less, am beginning to worry about what to do with my hair (can I still wear it down my back when I'm in my 40s? Well I'm gonna!) and am just beginning to have to watch what sort of clothes I buy, to make sure nobody can accuse me of being mutton dressed as.

God of course you can! I'm keeping mine long til i can't hold a hairbrush anymore because my hands are gnarled with age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well at least that's put turning 23 in a few weeks in perspective for me....don't worry op but you're still looking fine, plus you have all the confidence from experiencing a decade in the big bad world that you didn't have when you were 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I've also noticed that I'm doing things like using eye cream and baking queen cakes. I think I maybe am turning into my mom. I also check all knickers for a "cotton gusset". hmmmmmmm

i use eye cream, its just good sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

I've been getting "mind the lady" since I was about 18!

Still better than someone thinking I'm a guy though, and that's happened 3 times in the last year :mad:

D'oh :( Being thought of as a guy, when you're a girl is only ever good if you're wanting to be that way on purpose. Then you'd probably be stoked. But not so cool if you definately ID as a girl! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've started drinking less
    Do you mind me asking why?
    just beginning to have to watch what sort of clothes I buy, to make sure nobody can accuse me of being mutton dressed as.
    No way! :eek: Not you, surely?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've been referred to as a lady since my late teens.

My near 40-year old boyfriend, however, was recently referred to as a "boy" by an old woman in a shop! He does look young :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

logansrun.jpg

Actually in the book it's 21...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Dudess wrote: »
    Actually in the book it's 21...
    Is it worth a read?

I love when you see a film, and then ages later read the book; I just finished Bicentennial Man.

Haven't read it - it's just something that was pointed out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Is it worth a read?

In my opinion, nope.

Also, happy future birthday OP.

Also, long hair into the later years is the way to go. None of this cutting close and tight crap. Long hair ftw.

<3 my long hair. The sight of seeing it drop to the ground because it's not "supposed" to be long :rolleyes: would have me crying mucho tears indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Met the hottest older lady a while ago who had hair to her waist-definitely don't cut it!

Dragan wrote: »
    In my opinion, nope.

Also, happy future birthday OP.

Also, long hair into the later years is the way to go. None of this cutting close and tight crap. Long hair ftw.

thanks!

Well at least that's put turning 23 in a few weeks in perspective for me....don't worry op but you're still looking fine, plus you have all the confidence from experiencing a decade in the big bad world that you didn't have when you were 20.

Not sure about the looking fine but but at least i have all my own teeth! experience i have by the bucketful! wisdom perhaps not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

To answer some previous questions: I'm not drinking as much because my poor liver can't continue to take the abuse it's taken through my 20s to be honest.

The hair thing - there IS an unspoken set of 'rules' regarding older women and long hair. I think many capitulate because both the texture and quality of their hair changes as they have children, and children are a renouned time-sucking vortex, leaving zero time for hair care - subsequently they go for a shorter cut.

Advertisement