Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old shape Jeep Chereokee

• 30-01-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Have recently noticed that prices of the old shape Chereokee have come down to the level I'd pay for a car. i.e. not much!
    Have 2 say that I'm tempted to go out and look at a few, seeing as the current mobile ashtray is up for a change.
    2.5 diesel would be my preferred option. Any well known faults with thease?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Enough said.Leg it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Now I know why they're so cheap...

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Had ours for a few years now, great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 YourCourier.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

macnab wrote: »

becasue everything we read on the internet is 100% true and accurate and should be taken as gospel. A lot of those cherokees were perfectly fine and still continue to give good service.
    Most of those reviews are whinge about comfort and noise etc, the're not cars, an dnot intended for the same use.
    Plus a lot of the scare mongering about the VM diesels is boll*cks, if treated right and maintained there's a lot worse engines out there. They're easy to fix and theres plenty of second hand parts around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

becasue everything we read on the internet is 100% true and accurate and should be taken as gospel. A lot of those cherokees were perfectly fine and still continue to give good service.
    Most of those reviews are whinge about comfort and noise etc, the're not cars, an dnot intended for the same use.
    Plus a lot of the scare mongering about the VM diesels is boll*cks, if treated right and maintained there's a lot worse engines out there. They're easy to fix and theres plenty of second hand parts around
    There's a reason there are plenty of secondhand parts about. Had one, it was fun but kept throwing a push-rod. Rocker cover off, loosen rockers pop it back in and away you go. Got sick of doing that so got another one (newer). It cut out in the overtaking lane of the M11. Bailed out to the central median (no hope of going left). Turned the key and it started fine. Didn't keep that one long either. Apparently due to very common unfixable fault down near the clutch.
    Common head gasket failure on the newer ones.
    I will never buy American again!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Sound like you had bad hydrolic lifters.. I had the same issue when I first bought my Heep. I put in new lifters + pushrods, no probs since.

The dying suddenly prob is due to an arching ECU connector.

"Apparently due to very common unfixable fault down near the clutch."
    Haven't heard of that one.. any more info?

OP : as AsphaltRisin' said you need to keep on top of the maintenance. Best to change the oil every 5k miles or so.

The head gasket issues that are talked about are easily avoided if you keep the cooling system in order and the occasional eye on your temp gauge.

If the EGR valve hasn't been blocked off, just disconnect the vacuum pipe going to the solonoid, it'll save you probs in the long run.

Easy fixes.. well known faults, some great forums + the shop manuals are online.

Advertisement