Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest 4th Feb

• 30-01-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just reminding everyone that on Feb 4th a huge national demo in opposition to proposed increases in education charges will be held at 1.30pm (Garden of Remembrance).

Five reasons you should protest on 4 February:

1. €5000 fees will hit you and your family - The government is intent on re-introducing full fees of €5,000 per year or more. Whether this is as a direct fee, a student loan system or a graduate tax, it is an attack on your right to education, as well as of those coming after you.

2. Young people locked out of education - They have already increased registration fees to €1,500 per year. Full fees would deny access to tens of thousands of young people and saddle the rest with crippling debt. The introduction of top up fees in Britain resulted in a 4% reduction in student numbers.

3. Attack on our education system – The government want bigger classes with less resources. Fees and cutbacks are the start of a massive assault by the government that will destroy our education system and which must be stopped.

4. Help knock the government back – Only a very big mobilisation can knock the government back. The government thinks students are an easy target. A protest of tens of thousands in Dublin on 4 February will force them to think again. Don’t leave it up to somebody else to protest!

5. Build a movement that can win - The demonstration on 4 February has to be the start in building a mass movement of students on every campus across the country that can defeat the government on fees and education cuts. That movement will only be built if students like you protest and get involved!

5bnzi1.jpg

The truth about fees:

The government claims it wants to introduce fees to make the rich pay and use the revenue to increase access to college for those from working class backgrounds. This is a complete con.

* They are taking the axe to programmes to keep potential early school-leavers in school and is cutting special needs and language support. This means many vulnerable students’ hopes for third level vanishing!

*If they get away with introducing fees, they will swiftly be increased and extended to hit most, if not all students, as has happened in Britain and is happening with the registration fees.

*Abolishing fees has increased access to third-level but serious inequalities remain. The way to tackle these is not fees - it is investment in all levels of education and the establishment of a living grant for all students.

*The heads of UCD and Trinity award themselves €6 million a year for salaries, bonuses and allowances. The calls by many college authorities and Presidents for a re-introduction of fees are outrageous. Fees would not result in better education or services for students, the government would simply use it as a cost-cutting measure to hide their cutbacks in third level spending.

*The government happily handed over €10 billion to the banks. Yet they are intent on making students and our families pay for the economic crisis and on making college “profitable” for the private sector.

*Young people and mature students shouldn’t have to pay for the crisis. Education should be publicly funded by a progressive taxation system, which means that the rich should pay more in tax.

29zexqw.png

How we can defeat fees:

*The government’s partial u-turn on medical cards for older people after protest and public outcry shows that they can be defeated.

*The government is intent on introducing fees so will not be persuaded or “lobbied” to change their minds. Action, not words, is needed to force them back. They can be defeated by a mass movement of students, involving tens of thousands across the country.

*Link with others affected by the cuts – build a movement involving secondary school students and college workers.

*Organize in college – protest against visiting government TDs, target local TD offices, get everyone you know involved. This is a stepping stone to the type of campaign needed to defeat fees, including mass student strikes and occupations.

Direct action already undertaken by FEE.

National Day of Action - 4th Dec. 2008

Dublin:

A dozen students occupied the office of Paul Gogarty, Green Party TD for Dublin Mid-West and Spokesperson on Education in Lucan Village. Nine protestors were arrested by the Gardai and removed from the office in handcuffs after three hours. They were released from the Garda stations in Leixlip and Lucan at around 7.30pm.

Cork:

Over twenty students occupied the UCC's President's Office for over an hour this morning before being removed by the Gardai. No reports of arrests.

Galway:

Over twenty students occupied the office of Eamon O'Cuiv, Fianna Fail TD and Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. The gardai removed them after an hour and a half. Again, no reports of any arrests

If you want change get involved ! For more info visit www.free-education.info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

Oh, I so go just so I could hold a sign saying "down with this sort of thing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Hell yeah I'm gonna skip the lectures I'm protesting against paying for.

Oh wait, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I love how the USI are trying to ban placards that call for 'free education' (very handy when you consider FREE EDUCATION for Everyone is the name of the campaigns group in third level colleges) but don't mind gob****es with Father Ted knockoff protest signs ;)

As for skipping lectures, weak excuse. Students in NUIM/DCU etc. are only a bus away from town. Cork and Galway will bring more people than NUIM, that says a lot. You could make lectures until 1, be on a bus at 1:10 and still make the demo as it wont leave until 2. If people don't want to attend don't, but don't put it down to 'ah they want free education but sure they're missing classes to go'. One day, to fight for many days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

PrivateEye wrote: »
    As for skipping lectures, weak excuse.

It's actually a very valid excuse for those of us who take a "no bullshit" approach to attendance. It turns out this week I actually am free after 1pm, so I may head in for the laugh none the less :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I see your point when it comes to normal anti-fees actions, for instance I was discouraged from attending the Lenihan blockade by a UCD member of Free Education for Everyone who said 'what good is it to fight for free education if it means we all fail this year!?' Its a valid point.

I think the national marches are an exception however. Would I skip a tutorial to go down the town and hand out leaflets? Not a hope.

So I know where you're coming from mate, I just see the 'national demos' as exceptional, compared to 'standing on a corner with placards' stuff.
    turns out this week I actually am free after 1pm, so I may head in for the laugh none the less

:pac: Good stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement