Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Inventory App

Options
  • 30-01-2009 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this (mods can you move it if there's somewhere more suitable).

I've been asked by some one at work to come up with a web based application to inventory hardware. There are a number of different platforms to track with a few different pieces of hardware make up each platform. This hardware can also vary within a platform which might complicate things a bit.

So what I'm after is a web based app where I can pick a platform and see a list of locations where that platform is installed and the hardware at that particular site.

Does anyone know of anything that comes close to this preferably open source, I'd prefer not to have to go and reinvent the wheel if there's something out there that will do this already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

So you basically want a database that matches platforms, locations and lists the hardware in that specific platform? And you want a web interface to Create/Read/Update/Delete these yes?

Can't think of any software that's been done that might help you here but frameworks like Ruby on Rails or CakePHP makes this quite straightforward. You basically specify the columns in your database, then run the scaffold generator, which generates generic code (incl. HTML) that will let you create/read/update/delete. If you want to go this road there's a great tutorial for an "online cookbook" with Ruby on Rails that may be similar enough to what you're doing: http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/12/14/revisiting-ruby-on-rails-revisited.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yep that pretty much covers it. I'll take a look at the frameworks you mentioned later on and see what I can put together with that. Thanks for the info anyway it'll give me something to start with.

Advertisement