Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands/acts you used to hate but now quite like

Options
  • 30-01-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

A sort of guilty pleasures thread, I dunno how many of you got into music wars with a sibbling as a teen but I did - basicly if she liked it I didn't or rather couldn't and this was reciprocated. Result - some good stuff largely passed under my self-jammed radar.

Japan and Blondie were to the most artisticly cool acts I felt obliged to avoid while a few others like Human League and Visage also fell victim and I started to listen later on.

My sister is still not listening to any of the Prog and metal I used to love (and still do)!

Meanwhile other stuff that just wasn't to my taste is now perfectly acceptable even sought out esp (whisper it) mellow, American 1970s AOR type music which would sell by the truck load over there and not chart bar the odd exception over here - Joni Mitchell, Alan Parson Project, Loggins & Messina, Journey, I put it down to getting old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Take That :eek: I know I hate myself too but they get really good songs produced and written for them and they are deservedly successful for that reason.

Thought I qiuet liked Taylor Swift too but I like a good positive country song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Used to hate Metallica. Then I heard S&M. Quite good, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Didn't like Daft Punk's Discovery stuff but after hearing Homework I know they better earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

used to be decidedly indifferent towards sum41 but by jesus this is a great cover

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJb2paiwSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Took me a while to like RATM and The Pixies but now I (thankfully) really like both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

I used to hate Take That, Boyzone and Steps....I still do
    I wonder would Mr. Keating and the other ladies in the band take a ten per cent pay cut and use it to bring back Bananarama

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was very into NY new wave in the mid 80's and far too cool to have anytime for New Romantic Pish (and there was a LOT of pish in the 80's. Don't be fooled by dodgy people bearing false revivals). But my oh my did Duran Duran have a handful of really cracking tunes that I only opened up to listenibng too in the early 90's. When by then it was deeply uncool. It's all in the timing.

Advertisement