Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chateau Haut Brion 1985

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

As a Bordeaux blend the wine will be made up of Cabernet Sauv, Cab Franc,Merlot, Malbec and Petir Verdot. Good find. This is a valuable wine . But only if you have a buyer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 1carrot2

This is a very special bottle of wine.

Bordeaux red wines would be regarded by many as being the best wines in the world. In 1855 the top 60 odd wines of Bordeaux were classified into 5 groupings: premier cru classé, deuxieme cru classé, etc. down to cinquieme cru classé with premier obviously being the best. Initially only 4 Chateaux were classified as premier cru classé with Chateau Mouton Rothschild being promoted at a later date.

Anyway, Chateau Haut Brion is a premier cru classé. The other wine in your 2nd link is La Missione de Haut Brion which is the second wine of the estate and would generally be worth about a quarter of the price of the top wine.

However, the quality of this wine today will be greatly influenced by how it has been stored. Ideally it should be stored horizontally in a cool place with high humidity and no fluctuations in temperature. Also, light and vibrations are not good for the long term storage of fine wine. An attic is not ideal.

A wine collector would not buy this wine unless he could be guarunteed that it was stored in optimum conditions. Your best bet would be to open it, drink it and enjoy it. If you knew someone who was knowledgable about such wines, maybe ask them to taste it with you and give an opinion whether it is at its optimum or not.

1carrot2 wrote: »

Your best bet would be to open it, drink it and enjoy it.
    Sound advice and invite us all over for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

+1
    on open it and drink it with a wine fan.

I don't imagine anyone would part with alot of cash for a wine that's been in someone's attic for 20 or so years.
    I wouldn't!

I'll give you €20 for it. It's a gamble for me and I'd be taking it off your hands:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll give you €20 for it. It's a gamble for me and I'd be taking it off your hands:)

€25!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement