Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballisodare ronudabout??

Options
  • 31-01-2009 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Any views on the new roundabout outside supervalue in ballisodare..look like stevie wonder designed it! driving from sligo it is almost impossible to drive around it legally ...looks like sligo co. co let the lads loose with a paint brush after a feed of pints in sally's:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

New? You mean they "did up" the old one? The one that was there last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago) has been there for quite some time and was just a circle painted on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

The road approaching the roundabout from Knockmuldowney Park is like a Donegal boreen. Stevie Wonder would have done a better job.

The development on the right before the roundabout looks like something from Soviet Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

yet another example of shambolic design and work by the co. co...if joe public submits planning for a private house for his wife and kids he will be treated like [EMAIL="s*@t"]s*@t[/EMAIL] from start to finish during the planning process and yet their own designers cant even set out a simple roundabout in a village where hundreds for cars a week will be affected by this balls up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

bonzos wrote: »
    yet another example of shambolic design and work by the co. co...if joe public submits planning for a private house for his wife and kids he will be treated like s*@t from start to finish during the planning process and yet their own designers cant even set out a simple roundabout in a village where hundreds for cars a week will be affected by this balls up!

Hmm, typical council decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Not only does it look terrible but no one seems to know how to use it...there's been many a near miss there.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »
    Not only does it look terrible but no one seems to know how to use it...there's been many a near miss there.

People always say that 'Near Miss'. Its a contradiction in terms. After all, a near miss, would have been a collision. Shouldnt be called a near hit. (Obviously it doesn't have the same ring to it.:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Big_Mac wrote: »
    People always say that 'Near Miss'. Its a contradiction in terms. After all, a near miss, would have been a collision. Shouldnt be called a near hit. (Obviously it doesn't have the same ring to it.:D)

Yes you are quite right....have you got nothing better to be doing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

im sure it will cost another couple of €k to get it sorted out in a few weeks ...just like the famous bollards on castle street:rolleyes:.amazing how little respect these people have for money when (A)its not their own money and (B) the know their jobs are safe no matter how many expensive mistakes they make...they wouldnt last a dayin the private sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

maybe we should paint a smiley face on it
    might wake people up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Any views on the new roundabout outside supervalue in ballisodare..look like stevie wonder designed it! driving from sligo it is almost impossible to drive around it legally ...looks like sligo co. co let the lads loose with a paint brush after a feed of pints in sally's:)

I was once informed by the owner of a B&B in Carlow that such roundabouts are referred to locally as "fried-eggs"!!

They're designed to operate in the same way as roundabouts but in areas where there's not enough space for a "proper" roundabout. You're not actually supposed to drive around them - ie., it's totally legal to drive over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

That's a countywide problem, perhaps even countrywide!

The amount of muppets out there who don't signal at roundabouts is incredible!

Very good example is the roundabout outside Margarets cafe in Finisklin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

live in ballisodare the last roundabout was a nightmare most people just ignored but he "new" is ten times worst, heading into sligo they have put white lines so losing a couple of feet there what point of that, the problem isnt heading to sligo it is the junction coming from knockmuldowney or our of supervalue. there is plenty of room just needs to be done properly, beginning to think maybe lights are the only solution.

have had some very close ones with people just coming straight out from knockmuldowney and even supervalue car park.

was planning to email the roads section in the county council and complain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have to do a U turn there most days and tried it this am, the roundabout is so close to the supervalus entrance that I would have had to stop during the turn to let a car out without hitting it. So now the only way to get right around it is to go over it unless I plan on changing tyres every month with them hitting the wheel arch. I dont think lights will do the trick , they will have to erase the paint and move it to the middle of the road.

I was once informed by the owner of a B&B in Carlow that such roundabouts are referred to locally as "fried-eggs"!!

They're designed to operate in the same way as roundabouts but in areas where there's not enough space for a "proper" roundabout. You're not actually supposed to drive around them - ie., it's totally legal to drive over them.

Not necessarily Legal, but designed more for trucks who won't swing round them. Imagine that roundabout with a flower bed in the middle. Would be flattend in about 10 seconds with trucks.
    Yes you are quite right....have you got nothing better to be doing;)

Please, need you ask?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭glezo

hupyago wrote: »
    maybe we should paint a smiley face on it
    might wake people up

sound hupyago meet ya their 2moro nite at half 12 when all should be quite :D

Well they have read this post and moved the roundabout slightly more towards the middle of the road actually making it passable for cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hungry Rock

I honestly thnk most road users think it's a speed ramp as opposed to a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I honestly thnk most road users think it's a speed ramp as opposed to a roundabout

Seriously, you registered to dig up a 2 year old thread???? tut tut tut....

tsk tsk tsk even.....

Seriously, you registered to dig up a 2 year old thread???? tut tut tut....

tsk tsk tsk even.....

dont mind that , welcome to boards everyone has to start somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hungry Rock

Ok Ok so I am two years late posting my last message about Ballisadare, apoligies all around, That last post was my first in here. Funny thing though...the roundabout is still the same!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Like most things in this country. Leave the useless crap alone and don't change the things that are needed or are in tatters.

Advertisement