Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JMD Waterford

Options
  • 31-01-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Anyone have any experience with JMD tattoo in Waterford? ~Good or bad and why?

K
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

see jimmy trigs and sweenox's amazing pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

they're awesome, got my lastest tattoo there , two weeks ago finished last week .pic's soon, defo never go anywhere for tattoo's other than there again.

http://www.jmdsbodyart.com/

there photo gallery speaks for itself tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

3 thumbs up...if that poss, only place to go as far as Im concerned.
    And since they done the place up it feels like your getting a tattoo
    in a new posh Museum... which is nice.

Got my entire back-piece and sleeve done by Joe.
    Friday the 13th I start again, muh hahahaha.

www.myspace.com/jmdsbodyart

and check out Ian's page, the other guy that works there.
    He does some mad ****, incredible work.

Hey EMO show me your back or il have to do something...I havent quite thought this tru.

ohh friday the 13th coolness!

erm i have no pics as of yet, hopefully shall pop some up in the other thread tomorrow.. its looking AWESOME, if i do say so myself! my fav piece i have by miles :pac:

You right on the whole Museum thing ha! place is awesome looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

With all respect to the artists there, I drove from Kildare to Waterford and didn't find the person I was dealing with very helpful at all. They must have TOO much business. 3 hours travel wasted in my opinion.

• Advertisement

kkelly77 wrote: »
    With all respect to the artists there, I drove from Kildare to Waterford and didn't find the person I was dealing with very helpful at all. They must have TOO much business. 3 hours travel wasted in my opinion.
    What day did you go? If it was a weekend that's always the busiest times. JMD's is AFAIK one of the most popular studios around as it is so good. Maybe ring an book an appointment?

What day did you go? If it was a weekend that's always the busiest times. JMD's is AFAIK one of the most popular studios around as it is so good. Maybe ring an book an appointment?

Went down on Friday. Two people were getting work done and there was no one else waiting.

From researching studios on boards I found a lot of recommendations for JMD and the artwork on the site speaks for itself. But when you make the effort to travel to the studio only to be given 20 seconds of their time and bascially told to come back when I have a design on paper is, in my opinion, not on. I can't draw to save my life but I explained what I was after. I've seen in other studios customers being assisted that had no hard copy of a design. Can't see how difficult it could have been to have someone sketch something for me. Didn't have to be exact or perfectly drawn, just something simple to give me an idea what the outcome would be as well as what the cost would be. First impressions count.

but surely if you had a design in mind, you could get something similar(sp) off the net and give them that?

I emailed them 1st , with a link to what i was thinking of getting, went into see them , told them this is an idea of what i wanted , didnt want to get the exact same, and joe spent time looking through designs with me.... they need something to work off tbh.

Went down on Friday. Two people were getting work done and there was no one else waiting.

From researching studios on boards I found a lot of recommendations for JMD and the artwork on the site speaks for itself. But when you make the effort to travel to the studio only to be given 20 seconds of their time and bascially told to come back when I have a design on paper is, in my opinion, not on. I can't draw to save my life but I explained what I was after. I've seen in other studios customers being assisted that had no hard copy of a design. Can't see how difficult it could have been to have someone sketch something for me. Didn't have to be exact or perfectly drawn, just something simple to give me an idea what the outcome would be as well as what the cost would be. First impressions count.
    Indeeed they do, i cant draw either, I have my friends draw out pieces for me so I can go in with the design I want. I've never been in jmd's so I dont know how many tattooists there is working there, I know of two and the piercer. Well if two people were getting inked the artists would have to stop work to sketch something for you the non paying customer(not very professional) I actually don't know any non tv show tattoo shops where artists sit down with you when you just come off the street to do a sketch that you might not get while they have paying customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

I actually don't know any non tv show tattoo shops where artists sit down with you when you just come off the street to do a sketch that you might not get while they have paying customers

hahahahahaha... thats because that doesnt happen. I love TV
    and I love the people that are stupid enough to believe it even more, hahaha.

Anyway, as for JMDs, You have to book an appointment to even
    talk to them, That sounds stupid, BUT its the way it is.
    They have a minimun 2 months waiting list and you could be waiting 4 months as I found out afew years ago... but Im a good customer so I dont :p
    I did say b4 they are a hard bunch to get, they deal with soooo many idiots.
    You'd swear Im workn there, I better get a discount for this, haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

My Tat guy in Limerick, i would ring him, arrange to call in and decide what the tat is gona look like, using what i have brought in and his interpetation of what i want, i then go back a few days later to get the final design inked on me. Except for my last tat where i went in and we did the design there and then and he drew it free hand on me.

TBH a tat is for life, never expect an artist to squeeze you in, they should have time to spend with you and not be rushed ;)

The technology is there, use the phone or email or text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I can't believe you drove from kildare to waterford without ringing/emailing.

If the artists had their hands full tattooing, they can only spare enough time to ascertain what you would like and take your contact details. They cannot leave someone bleeding in the next room. If they have a receptionist (and I don't know if they do) or you were talking to the piercer, chances are it would be as difficult for them to draw something workable as it would have been for you to draw it.

Personally, I won't be rushed into anything, for any reason. It would be bad for my customers and myself. If I feel a design requires more time and clarity of thought - I will ask the customer to give me a few days. I may need reference material, different pens, more space, different fonts etc.

This idea that you walk into a shop, and the tattoo artist is standing at a desk right behind the door, poised with a blue coloring pencil and greaseproof paper, ready to conjure you exact design from thin air after a two line description, while you watch, and proceed to get tattooed to you immeadiately with out any real time to consider it is a fantasy. Perhaps from a TV show that no one seems willing to accept is staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

^^ +1

unless its a flash/very simple design, it will take time to trash out the idea :)

When I have a new idea I tend to print off/cut out reference material and stick it in my diary (I cant draw at all) and keep it for aaages, the idea will evolve a lot in that time. then when im clear what i want, I book appointment and bring reference material for what I want done, explain what I'm thinking of and the artist will often pull out some books and well look through what we like/dont like.

Then I leave it with him and he draws up some ideas for me.

even if i see something and i say zOmg thats definitely what I want, I'll wait a bit just in case. It will be there long enough, best to make sure its exactly what you want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

tbh, I found the girl in JMD's very impolite. She was dismissive and just because I was unfamiliar with 'tattoo etiquette' she was condescending. I don't care how great business is, all people who walk through the door should be treated with a degree of respect.

tbh, I found the girl in JMD's very impolite. She was dismissive and just because I was unfamiliar with 'tattoo etiquette' she was condescending. I don't care how great business is, all people who walk through the door should be treated with a degree of respect.

+++1

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Found the staff in JMD to be more than helpful and i am delighted with the tattoo Ian done for me.I went in with the design and he just made it sharper and crisper.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Ye Ian is good,put up pics of the new ink

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

http://www3.snapfish.ie/slideshow/AlbumID=281032858/PictureID=7006557851/a=137315977_137315977/t_=13731597

Its of a phoenix and its also covering up some indian ink that i got done twenty seven years ago.The tattoo and date are about me being diagnosed with diabetes on christmas eve 2007 and waking up in intensive care three days later to be told i had died nice way to celebrate christmas :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LiveLifeLively

Ian did my two he's absolutely brilliant. He explained to someone while I was getting my tattoo done that he doesn't draw out designs from scratch cos he do be working all day and if he did then he'd have no time for himself. I think it's perfectly reasonable like and I've never found that the girl working there was impolite I thought she was very friendly. I wouldn't go past JMD's. I'm definately going back there for more. It's a lovely shop too especially compared to that other place in waterford - the filthy stairs and door put me right off before I even went in for a look!

Advertisement