Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Gunsmith in Ireland that can rebarrel a 22 to 17

Options
  • 31-01-2009 2:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Who does this kind of work here in the republic.

Or do i have to go to UK:(

Thanks Ivan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Give John Greene a ring.
    He's a shop and workshop in Kilmacow, Co. Kilkenny near Waterford city.

My friend has just got a lot of work done on his guns and it's all top class.

I'll get a thread put on my CZ Varmint with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

pm me if you want john s no ,ivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Why why why??? Just trade in and buy a .17 for gods sake. Talk about complicating a situation.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Why why why??? Just trade in and buy a .17 for gods sake. Talk about complicating a situation.:rolleyes:

Again the guards figure out license-wise whats going on, Ivan's time and patience and It'll cost half a new rifle why bother??

Its true though, some people love hardship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

they would stamp it there and then for ya if you asked in advance.
    why would ya want to 17 any way over a 22 ,bullets for the 17 are going to be a problem to get as it does not sell well.
    its hard to beat the old .22 for vermin and cheap fun

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

the gun i have found is not sold as 17cal, its the design of gun i want with that particular caliber if it possible.

Nothing too complected there!!

Why this gun over any other! well i have it in 22lr and i simply want another barrel with 17hm2.
    its only a barrel so it shouldnt cost all that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

the gun i have found is not sold as 17cal, its the design of gun i want with that particular caliber if it possible.

Why this gun over any other! well i have it in 22lr and i simply want another barrel with 17hm2.

the barrel might'nt cost that much but you are paying for labour and time of a riflesmith is what will bump it up,just to give you an idea,at most it can take up to an hour to clock a barrel in a lathe just to cut a thread

.243 wrote: »
    the barrel might'nt cost that much but you are paying for labour and time of a riflesmith is what will bump it up,just to give you an idea,at most it can take up to an hour to clock a barrel in a lathe just to cut a thread
    well i'll have to ask the man and se what he says, it won't cost anything to ask!

I should have bought a Sako Quad!!! but i didnt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

btw you do know you will have to clear it with the guards first with your intentions of a second barrel because if you hard set on getting it done any riflesmith WILL NOT just release you back the original barrel unless you have paperwork to have it (the riflesmith has to have a record of where his barrels go,either destruction of transfer),and you are going have to be prepared to wait a fair amount of time as barrels are made and sent out in order of customers (its not as simple as just ordering from argos and having it the next day,if only it was that easy)

• Advertisement

.243 wrote: »
    btw you do know you will have to clear it with the guards first with your intentions of a second barrel because if you hard set on getting it done any riflesmith WILL NOT just release you back the original barrel unless you have paperwork to have it (the riflesmith has to have a record of where his barrels go,either destruction of transfer),and you are going have to be prepared to wait a fair amount of time as barrels are made and sent out in order of customers (its not as simple as just ordering from argos and having it the next day,if only it was that easy)

Thanks 243
    I know there will be paperwork and i have the extra barrel already albeit that its on a shelf in my local dealers..

regards ivan

PS second barrel intentions?? AFAIK here in ireland there is no allowance for a second barrel??? & AFAIK one simply applies for a new licence or is there some thing else involved or allowed for second barrels.

I have read that in the UK the local police will easily licence a sako quad with two barrels on one licence.

It seems like a good idea to me.

Advertisement