Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the difference

• 31-01-2009 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

hi all, could some one tell me what is the difference between a falcon and a hawk. Is there any way to tell which one is which?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

A falcon has a notch on their beak that is used for breaking the neck of their prey, and the hawk's beak has a simpler, smoother curve and they typically use their talons on their feet to kill their prey. The peregrine falcon is one of the fastest animals in the world, flying up to 200 mph in a dive, while hawks are typically much slower and prefer to glide with much slower of a stroke. Hawks tend to be larger than most falcons. Falcons have long wings, hawk's wings are generally shorter. Many species of both hawk and falcon are endangered.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_falcon_and_a_hawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

thanks blinkey. I am very interested in all birds of prey and this was one thing that was bugging me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Easiest way to identify one from the other at a distence, hawk's have broad rounded wing's whereas falcon's have pointed wing's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

pipeliner, you probably know already, but in case others are interested typical Falcons seen in Ireland are
    • Kestrel (hovering, countryside),
    • Peregrine Falcon (dive bombing, screaming, cliffs)
    • Merlin (small, chasing, bogs/uplands)
    Hawks
    • Just the Sparrowhawk I guess (low and fast, ambushing along a hedgerow)

Other birds of prey seen in Ireland...
    • Hen Harrier (quartering over bogs/fields/forestry edges)
    • Buzzard (enormous, soaring, sitting, lots of great pics on this forum)
    Recently reintroduced
    • Golden Eagle (Donegal)
    • White Tailed Sea Eagle (Kerry)
    • Red Kite (Wicklow)

Occasional visitors...
    Hobby, Osprey, Black Kite, Gyrfalcon, Goshawk ...

And then there are the owls...Long-eared owl, Barn owl and occasional wintering Short-eared owl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

your welcome pipeliner anytime :)
    have a look at this link http://www.irishfieldsports.com/raptors/

• Advertisement
Advertisement