Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i set up 2 computers to connect to each other over a Eircom Netopia Router

Options
  • 31-01-2009 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

How do i set up 2 computers to connect to each other over a Eircom Netopia Router? Is it possible? I've been fiddling with home wireless networks, home networks and nada. The desktop (XP) is connected to the router with network cable and the laptop (Vista) is wireless.

If this is possible, how do i delete any networks i've made. They are not showing up in 'my networks'

Going to Bed now me thinks. I give up!:(

BTW Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Quick answer before i go to bed u need a wireless modem or router.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plug both machines into the router using LAN cable. Ensure both have TCP/IP as automatic, and router is broadcasting DHCP. Get back to me when you get them both on a normal LAN, before you go wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Plug both machines into the router using LAN cable. Ensure both have TCP/IP as automatic, and router is broadcasting DHCP. Get back to me when you get them both on a normal LAN, before you go wireless.

Thanks the_syco, have both computers connected to the eircom netopia with lan cables. (Router is wireless).

[HTML]Ensure both have TCP/IP as automatic, and router is broadcasting DHCP[/HTML]. Where do i find that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

nulabert wrote: »
    Thanks the_syco, have both computers connected to the eircom netopia with lan cables. (Router is wireless).

[HTML]Ensure both have TCP/IP as automatic, and router is broadcasting DHCP[/HTML]. Where do i find that?

In Vista, click the start menu and in the search box type Network. It'll bring up a list of applications. The one you're after is the Network and Sharing centre. Open this up and along the left side of the window click the Manage network connections link.

This will bring up another window, right click on the network connection you're using (probably called Local Area Connection) and select properties. Another window will appear in here find the item Internet Protocol Version 4 and double click on it. Make sure the options are set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server addresses automatically.

In XP Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network Connections, as before find the connection you're using probably called Local Area Connection too. Right click -> properties -> IPv4 or TCP/IP settings (can't remember exactly what it is and I don't have an XP machine to check) and again make sure it's set to obtain and IP address and DNS server addresses automatically.

If you want to set up file sharing between them take a look at the pdf attached to this post it should get you started.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55160890&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Thanks for yer help so far. I've set up a workgroup called 'homepn' on each computer. allowed file and print sharing on both, both are running IPv4. I can see the desktop called 'TV' in the network folder but i can't connect to it.

On the desktop, i can't see the laptop..... Whats up?

This is a 5 minute job thats gone wrong!:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement