Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rally Ireland on RTE2

• 31-01-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching RTE2 last night at 8pm for the highlights of rally ireland in sligo this weekend ?

20:00 World Rally Championship
    Michael Lyster presents highlights of day two of Rally Ireland in Sligo. With analysis by Eugene Donnelly and Andrew Nesbitt and commentary by Peter Collins

I was well impressed with it. the footage of the navigator at the end was pretty cool.

going to be on tonight and tomorrow night aswell !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Twas rubbish as usual.

An hour long program with 50 minutes of studio talk and 10 minutes or less af actual rally footage.:(

Tune into Dave at 6 tomorrow (Sunday) evening and you'll see what rally coverage is supposed to be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

it wasnt as bad as 50min:10min :) there were ads too.

its interesting to someone, like me, who just is introduced to rallying.
    ill have a look at dave tomorrow. is it rally ireland ? or other rallying ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would be good if there was proper coverage with timing etc

looks like rte didn't want to buy the rights to show the proper coverage, so took a few of their own cameras out on the road and pieced together their own crappy programme, and all the talk of how its great for ireland to have this world class sporting event... but they won't show us proper coverage :(

samhail wrote: »
    it wasnt as bad as 50min:10min :) there were ads too.

its interesting to someone, like me, who just is introduced to rallying.
    ill have a look at dave tomorrow. is it rally ireland ? or other rallying ?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Yeah was pretty poor ..... but lets see how they get on tonight :o

Just watched the WRC 09 shake down on Dave its a different league all together ! RTE should take a few notes..

Sky plus 'd for sunday

• Advertisement

homer90 wrote: »
    Yeah was pretty poor ..... but lets see how they get on tonight :o

The same sh1te.:(

yeah :(
    i cant wait !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

would be good if there was proper coverage with timing etc

looks like rte didn't want to buy the rights to show the proper coverage, so took a few of their own cameras out on the road and pieced together their own crappy programme, and all the talk of how its great for ireland to have this world class sporting event... but they won't show us proper coverage :(

it was all wrc camera men and editers of the rally footage except the crash that nesbitt was at... because of the quick turn around is why they dident have much of teh 2nd run.... they dident have the budget this year for helicopters to bring back the tapes to sligo so it was slower this year...

todays stages was finished at 1/2 3 so the tapes will be back in sligo in time :)

were u at it ?

anto-t wrote: »
    it was all wrc camera men and editers of the rally footage except the crash that nesbitt was at... because of the quick turn around is why they dident have much of teh 2nd run.... they dident have the budget this year for helicopters to bring back the tapes to sligo so it was slower this year...

todays stages was finished at 1/2 3 so the tapes will be back in sligo in time :)

They had the same crap coverage 2 years ago. What was their excuse that time?:P

I was on Aughnasheelan yesterday for both loops. The last car went through at 3.30 aswell and the last 2 stages cancelled, so that gives them the same timeframe as today.

• Advertisement

o ya i have to say it is better than last time but deffo could be better!!! oo and getting the classic rally wrong by saying the wrong rally and year is just unbeleavable... TWICE!!!!!!

i watched that episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, the RTE coverage seems better than last time around in some areas and worse in others.

Good points:

1: Eugene Donnelly and Andrew Nesbitt as analysts. Very good, clear analysis by both guys. Explaining the various aspects of rallying very clearly and in an easy-to-understand way to newcomers to the sport but yet not dumbing it down too much for the hardcore fans. Way better than Billy Coleman and Shaun Gallagher in 2007. Coleman just sounded like a grumpy old man all the time, complaining about how rallying nowadays and the cars are too expensive and how young guys can't get a chance to get started now as a result and how things were better in his day. He's right, of course, but he just kept going on about it all the bloody time and it got boring very quikly hearing the same thing over and over again. Shaun Gallagher had this funny "rabbit caught in the headlights" look about him all the time and didn't really add that much to the coverage. Good driver, in all fairness, but he'll never make a TV presenter or pundit! ;) I know Donnelly and Nesbitt would probably have loved to have been out competing this time around and we'd all love to have seen them out there giving it socks on the stages but the rally's loss was definitely our gain as TV viewers, in my opinion.

2: The footage of rallies from years ago. Very welcome indeed and I particularly liked the clip they showed tonight of the Circuit of Ireland from 1989. Funny seeing the "Circuit Report" graphic at the start of the clip, though, and reminded me of the days when rallying got more coverage and exposure in the media back then than it does nowadays and how we even used to have nightly highlights of the Circuit "back in the day"!

Now to the bad points of RTE's coverage:

1: As other's have said here, not enough actual footage of the day's action. I suppose, though, RTE aren't really to blame for that as I'd say a lot of it has to do with I.S.C./North One keeping the best of the footage for their own nightly highlights show that's shown on the likes of Eurosport.

2: Unlike last time around, there is only the one show each evening on RTE Two as opposed to 2007 when there was also a 20 or 30 minute round-up of the morning's action broadcast in the afternoon as well. If it's true about them not being able to afford the helicopters this time around in order to transport the tapes back to the service park in time for editing, then I guess that's also partially the explanation for that.

3: No live coverage this year of the final stage (except on the website). Okay, admitedly, the Mullaghmore stage in 2007 didn't exactly light up our telly screens with excitement but it was definitely good to see live rally action on the telly for a change and it would have been great to see the cars live on telly tearing through Donegal town this time around as it would have been a much bigger spectacle to watch, I'd say. At least those of us lucky enough to have broadband will be able to watch it online but I feel sorry for the thousands of others around the country stuck on dial-up or other crappy connections that would have loved to have seen it live and won't be able to.

Overall, I'd give the RTE coverage this year a "not bad but could do better", and let's hope they do if Rally Ireland takes place again in 2011!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

3: No live coverage this year of the final stage (except on the website)...

not even sure if on website, just checked out rte on line guide, only mention is again the evening highlights show

:(

by online he ment www.wrc.com .... rte dont do live streaming yet...

also..

Dave will have there hour show on at 6pm tonight and also bbc 2 NI will have a hour show on aswell at 10pm....

just off the first stage today from marsheling... was there at 2:30... got some greta photos tho of the drivers warming up...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

samhail wrote: »
    Anyone watching RTE2 last night at 8pm for the highlights of rally ireland in sligo this weekend ?

20:00 World Rally Championship
    Michael Lyster presents highlights of day two of Rally Ireland in Sligo. With analysis by Eugene Donnelly and Andrew Nesbitt and commentary by Peter Collins

I was well impressed with it. the footage of the navigator at the end was pretty cool.

going to be on tonight and tomorrow night aswell !

What????

I was going to start a thread after RTE's first night of coverage to rant on about how rubbish and plain **** the coverage was, i was looking foward to it for the week and then to see that, it really was a joke, i couldnt believe the lack of actual rallying footage they had and i honestly dont know why they even bothered. As mentioned in a previous post it must have been simply down to the fact that they didnt have the rights to show some decent coverage.

I also found it so annoying the build up they gave the sport and the event but didn't show the public how much of an exciting sport it really is and constantly had boring conversations throughout the hour.

Anyway at least DAVE came to the rescue with a great show tonight and some very good footage along with interesting commentary and as always shows how much of a top sport rallying is. Channel DAVE is the only place to watch the WRC!!:)

The only one negative thing was that clown shane lynch, but once they started showing the footage right beside that crest which Loeb flew over all was forgotten!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Dave coverage was excellent, top notch

RTE had too much panel talks and the like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 donkey826

timmywex wrote: »
    Dave coverage was excellent, top notch

RTE had too much panel talks and the like!

i thought the coverage on dave was filled with the commentater talking wanted to see the cars not his face did not see the RTE coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

RTE "coverage" was muck, much more muck than the drivers seen out on the stages. The graphic of the leader board after day 1 looked like M.Lyster's daughter did on a basic computer graphic application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Second year of rally Ireland and it was'nt just the coverage that was half ar5ed. There was no signage, there was f-all participation from Irish drivers, €12 for a programme that was 90% advertisements and a really wrong star rating for the spectator viewing points.

The coverage on RTE had about 4 or 5 stock videos that they kept showing over and over again. There was no mention of the last couple of stages in Enniskillen being cancelled or anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Slig wrote: »
    a really wrong star rating for the spectator viewing points.

Agree with you the coverage was fairly pathetic to say the least. The five star rating on the programme was a joke. Went to two of these and were fairly bog standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The best spot I had all weekend was between C & D on the Arigna stage and it wasent even marked!

Compared to '07 the whole thing was such a let down. Between the small number of compeditors, bad advertising and coverage and everybody trying to fleece the spectators at every oppertunity I dont see much of a future in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I really enjoyed RTE's coverage of rally Ireland. They had 3 plus hours coverage of course it's not going to be packed with rally footage, the Dave coverage (which I also enjoyed) is only an hour long so it is a lot easier to pack it out with rally footage. I really enjoyed the studio footage also, they had two of Irelands greatest rally drivers as panellists and it was excellent to hear their views. I am sure both Donnelly and Nesbitt would have been right up battling with the two MacHales, Boland and McNulty.
    RTE also had a lot of interviews with our local drivers, Ireland has one of the biggest national rally scenes in the world and it was great to hear from all those drivers. Without the support and hard work from our local drivers and the motor clubs they are members of there is now way we would have the opportunity to host a round of the WRC in the first place.
    RTE’s coverage of the super special stage in Donegal was a lot better than Dave, though it was a pain in the ass that it was not live.

(On a side note the Irish drivers did us proud with some great times. We have to remember that all the professional drivers get to spend 250 or more days a year testing in the car whereas the local drivers would be very lucky to get 50. They ended up setting some great times considering)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

donkey826 wrote: »
    i thought the coverage on dave was filled with the commentater talking wanted to see the cars not his face did not see the RTE coverage

8205052e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

h3000 wrote: »
    We have to remember that all the professional drivers get to spend 250 or more days a year testing in the car whereas the local drivers would be very lucky to get 50.

This is something I was wondering about actually. Where would the likes or eugene donnelly or the mchales go testing during the year? Do they have to get roads closed or what???

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

This is something I was wondering about actually. Where would the likes or eugene donnelly or the mchales go testing during the year? Do they have to get roads closed or what???

Would to like to know that myself! But from what i hear theres no way they get any roads closed and id say they get the cars set somewhere high up in the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Irish drivers can go through the same process to request road closures as the International teams. I think mainly associated costs & access to willing volunteers for implementation of saftey measures would be the main stalling factors to this being a viable option.

Ford had a full mechanical team to set, adjust and reset the car between runs, catering to provide warm refreshments for mechanics, driver & co-driver & all volunteer marshals, radio personnel at each junction & residence to allow accommodation of movement of local residents at pre-agreement.

Irish drivers are amateurs & therefore are not likely to have the finances nor business contact for such an intricate test session set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

h3000 wrote: »
    I am sure both Donnelly and Nesbitt would have been right up battling with the two MacHales, Boland and McNulty.

Apart from Gareth McHale, Donnelly and Nesbitt are in a different league to the McHales and Boland. McNulty would only embarrass himself in such company. The RTE coverage was poor. They dumb it down way too much for the person who never watches rallying at the expense of the enthusiast. Imagine if they did that for GAA! Lyster is good, Nesbitt and Donnelly were good but that tool Peter Collins has no business commentating on motorsport. He was rubbish on F1 and is even worse on WRC. Then they over-produced the retro footage on the Friday night, with rubbish music drowning out the original recording of the car/co-drivers and skipping frames and the like. What a pointless exercise it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

I only saw a little of this, but one thing that really gets on my nerve is when they show great archive footage, but stretch it to widescreen.

Mind you, it's not just rallying and not just RTE where this happens. TV3 do it with Vincent Browne.

Surely it can't be too hard to transmit footage in the same proportions it was filmed in.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was hillwalking on muckish a couple of years ago and saw one of the guys testing up there on the mountain roads

Advertisement