Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloads don't start or go a bit then stop - UPC

Options
  • 31-01-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

i am on upc downloads keep stopping or not starting for example i wanted to get to this forum and i clicked forums, and it kept loading down to a certain point of the page(it's a long page) and then stopping. i refreshed a number of times but couldn't get to broadband. so i had to search my own posts for a post in broadband and click on broadband. when i clicked post new thread i had to refresh it twice because it wouldn't load. i have downloads i want to download and there is no resuming from the sites im downloading from. one of them i've tried about 5 times, just there it wouldn't even start for like 10 minutes it was just on 'Starting' and then eventually I saw in the corner "All downloads are finished" and the file is 162kb even though it is supposed to be 155mb. sometimes it will download a few megabytes, but that is all. it is not spyware because i just did a scan hours ago. it is not virus because same thing. it is not router because i am connecting directly from modem and the same problem happens. it is not firewall because if i disable it it still happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Generally when I've seen this its the browser throwing a hissy fit rather than the broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

Generally when I've seen this its the browser throwing a hissy fit rather than the broadband

no. i've tried on different browsers plus the problem happens connecting to servers on counter-strike source too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Dropped packets, i no no this problem all too well.

Run a ping -t command to boards.ie

Start/Run/Type "cmd"/Then type "ping www.boards.ie -t"

Without the " of course. Let it run for 2 or 3 minutes. If your getting packets saying "request timed out" regulary thats exactly whats causing the problem.

What router are you using? Please dont say a belkin :)

I'm having this problem too but I'm only noticing it when downloading relatively large files. It happened last night with Nvidia drivers and today I've been trying to download a new version of TerraTec Home Cinema (via their FTP server) and it's doing the same. It'll go fine for the first while then just drop dead. If you cancel and resume the download it'll go for another while then stop. On other occasions it starts the transfer but doesn't receive anything.

Edit: re packet loss, I ran a ping... 190 packets sent and none were lost. I'm on a Fritz!Box 7270 with 802.11a enabled so my wireless should be fine, no other 5 GHz routers in my area.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Dropped packets, i no no this problem all too well.

Run a ping -t command to boards.ie

Start/Run/Type "cmd"/Then type "ping www.boards.ie -t"

Without the " of course. Let it run for 2 or 3 minutes. If your getting packets saying "request timed out" regulary thats exactly whats causing the problem.

What router are you using? Please dont say a belkin :)

you didn't read my first post? i said i have the problem without using a router too. in fact i'm downloading something now, direct connection to modem from pc, and it keeps timing out. i had to download it because i was installing an application which had to download it and THAT timed out so i tried downloading it directly from the site and that is timing out too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I did read your post. Im trying to find out if you had the same problem as me when i had NTL in an apartment to see if packets are lost, with that attitude i wont try to help you more ;)

Has been happening a lot with me. Belkin router http://www.belkin.com/support/product/?lid=en&pid=F5D8231-4&scid=221

Any ideas? Happens when I am downloading large files.

nuxxx wrote: »
    I did read your post. Im trying to find out if you had the same problem as me when i had NTL in an apartment to see if packets are lost, with that attitude i wont try to help you more ;)

no you didn't, i said i wasn't using a router and no you wouldn't help me regardless that's what people say as if they could help you

Advertisement