Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend away, around Melbourne - Suggestions?

Options
  • 31-01-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Right, the boyfriend and I have decided to take a weekend break this month. I've booked some time off work and now all we need is somewher to go. We're thinking a nice town or village a couple of hours outside of Melbourne. Not too up it's own arse with wineries and spa resorts (which seems to be most of the ones on the visitvictoria site), but with some nice shops, parks and sights. Maybe a cosy B&B. Not too expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't know the Melbourne hinterland at all. Has anyone taken a weekend break or passed through such a town? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

There is so many places that you could visit. A lot depends on whether you're driving or training/busing it. My fave places are Inverloch, Ballarat, Wilsons Prom, Anglesea, Bright, Mallacoota. All have lots to see and do, and don't particularly have a big winery/ spa scene. Happy travels. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

One of my favorite places for a weekend away is Daylesford. It is a little oasis of coolism packed into a tiny little town. There is lots of chilled stuff you can do like visit one of the mineral springs in the area, get a therapeutic massage or any number of alternative therapies on offer. There is a really good bookstore there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Ok, looks like we've settled on Daylesford, if we can book things before they're all sold out. (Turns out I got Valentine's weekend off, might be busy )

dStar or anyone else who has been there: I know you can get there by train but would you say you'd need to rent a car to get around? Like, if we get to the town is everything going to be a few miles out on little country road? We're thinking of renting a car for the whole weekend but don't want to get there to find everything's in walking distance.

What would you reccommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hire a car.

Rural Australian towns have not much within a short distance - there's no need to build densely because space is available a-plenty. Unless you're a big fan of shanks mare, the car is a must. (I mean, take Kilmore. It's a small town. Everything's nearby. If I didn't drive, it would take me 50 minutes to walk from my house to the supermarket, 25 minutes for me to walk from my house to work and 35 minutes to walk from my house to the pub. Not to mention around an hour for me to walk from my house to the train station!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Didnt read any of the replies but id like to throw Apollo Bay into the hat if no one else has

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Try 'Olinda', it's only about an hour's drive east from Melbourne CBD at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

It's a gorgeous little 'storybook' style town/village.
    Most of the accommodation is in guest houses which are made up of little 'Hansel and Gretal' style individual cottages.
    Most are self contained and leave you provisions for breakfast each day as part of their price package.
    Very quaint and cosy and very different to places found north/north west of the city.

http://www.olindavillage.com.au
    http://www.candlelightcottages.com.au
    http://www.comocottages.com

I stayed at the latter of those links - in the Lavender Cottage - was fantastic and well worth the money.
    We met the owners on the Friday arvo who were very welcoming and didn't see them again for the res of the stay, they don't bother you - you just leave your key in the door of the cottage when heading off.
    After staying in some decent 4 and 5 star hotels in Melb. over the years, I'd head back to that cottage in a flash over the others.

There's loads of little craft shops and restaurants etc. and 3 or 4 bars within walking distance of most of the decent accommodations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Can't edit my above post but wanted to provide this handy link:

http://www.lovebirds.com.au

Found this site a while back and found it quite useful, lists some cool hotels and guest houses all over the place.

Advertisement