Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long until society collapses

Options
  • 31-01-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

I am curious to get some opinions on how long it would take until society collapses.

How long would it take for complete anarchy to break out in Ireland if the following happens next year.

The country has massive strikes and demonstrations and defaults on all loans. 500,000 people on the dole.

Power and water get cut off and goods transportation stops, shops run out of food because of stockpiling, all government services cease.

Hows many days of this would be needed for a complete breakdown of society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Head for the hills .......now .

A few days / a week at the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

latchyco wrote: »
    Head for the hills .......now .

A few days / a week at the most

Yeah, I was thinking 3 or 4 days, defo within 7,

what do you think would happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus I'm willing to bet neither of you are old enough to remember the 80s then?

/latchyco may be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

where will it start ?

mike65 wrote: »
    Jebus I'm willing to bet neither of you are old enough to remember the 80s then?

/latchyco may be joking.

I did my leaving cert in the 80's, this is nothing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'll need at least ten days to finish redecorating my bunker. It's been sadly neglected since the Bay of Pigs.

mike65 wrote: »

/latchyco may be joking.
    About the first bit yes , the second was just a rough guess .Old enough to remember the 80s recession well .

Partially why I still live in uk now .

Yeah, I was thinking 3 or 4 days, defo within 7,

what do you think would happen?
    If law and order broke down I imagine some people will panic more than others ( for obious reasons, food ,petrol shortages etc , ) and the goverment would be relying on it's more affulent and educated citizens to give guidence and support in their local communitys .But that's the worst case scenario and not nessacarlly going to happen .

Unfortunately, the criminal elements would be well-armed. With a break-down in law and order they would capitalise on that. Does anyone think that a relatively small army would be able to handle that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I am curious to get some opinions on how long it would take until society collapses.

How long would it take for complete anarchy to break out in Ireland if the following happens next year.

The country has massive strikes and demonstrations and defaults on all loans. 500,000 people on the dole.

Power and water get cut off and goods transportation stops, shops run out of food because of stockpiling, all government services cease.

Hows many days of this would be needed for a complete breakdown of society?

Worst case scenario

Workers from around the country join the waterford crystal workers in protests. After a month of scuffles serious rioting brokes out. Government has to bail out AIB/BOI which causes the gov to default on its loans. IMF called in and immediately lay-off 25% on public service. Coming into christmas hudreds of homes have there heating cut off. Intense rioting in Dublin means the dail is moved to the Curragh. Most city centres throughout the country are seriously damaged by fire and become no go areas. Military generals place the cabinet under house arrest and place themselves in power.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the criminal elements would be well-armed. With a break-down in law and order they would capitalise on that. Does anyone think that a relatively small army would be able to handle that situation?
    No , and the soldiers will have their own families in mind should any civil unrest occur .

Dob74 wrote: »
    Worst case scenario

Workers from around the country join the waterford crystal workers in protests. After a month of scuffles serious rioting brokes out. Government has to bail out AIB/BOI which causes the gov to default on its loans. IMF called in and immediately lay-off 25% on public service. Coming into christmas hudreds of homes have there heating cut off. Intense rioting in Dublin means the dail is moved to the Curragh. Most city centres throughout the country are seriously damaged by fire and become no go areas. Military generals place the cabinet under house arrest and place themselves in power.

Yeah, this is good stuff, the longer it goes on the worse it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

One can always talk to ones neighbours.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I am fairly sure that ours is the one country in the world that couldnt put together a military coup.

The army would have to organise to meet the social partners blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

With the fact that criminals will be armed?

They're armed but don't have a large enough amount of weaponry or ammunition to carry out any kind of sustained "Operation" if you will, which is something we're already aware of. They'd be a threat to members of the DF who were maybe operating in small numbers but could still be contained. If they were to try anything on a Section of troops or more, it'd be suicide.

The larger problem the DF would face if everything was to go tits up, would be Riot situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Worst case senario - nothing much happens.

People might be to complacent , indifferent and not botherd about rioting , specially if there's something decent on the television .

People will be to busy watching news reports of civil unrest .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The country has massive strikes and demonstrations and defaults on all loans.

Massive strikes? Demonstrations? This is nothing compared to what happened 20 years ago and is relatively mild compared to what's going on in France right now never mind Iceland et al. The couldn't even release the unemployment figures in France yesterday because the statisticians are on strike...

You people are naive if you think this level of unrest is severe..

I think that people here are gluttons for punishment and never did like change. Perhaps there's an as yet undiscovered Catholic guilt gene.

If the current problems persist, perhaps in 800 years, a few people might decide that it would be a good idea to do something about it.

It's going to be dumb insolence and moaning until then.

• Advertisement

;)

google outage more important for more people I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

population wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that ours is the one country in the world that couldnt put together a military coup.

The army would have to organise to meet the social partners blah blah blah
    No point meeting the social partners for a talk,
    I thought our Army was deaf............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If it didn't happen during WWII it won't happen due to rocky economics.

If it didn't happen during WWII it won't happen due to rocky economics.

They didn't have Boards.ie then and were still sh1t-scared of their local clergy.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

This is Ireland not France. We dont do mass sporadic rioting. It would be too much of an effort for most.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When did they start handing out hatchets in here? Because there are people running around like headless chickens :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I am curious to get some opinions on how long it would take until society collapses....Hows many days of this would be needed for a complete breakdown of society?
    We have a society because for hundreds of years, millions of ordinary, decent people realised that by cooperating with each other trading goods and services, we could all enjoy a safe, comfortable standard of living.

Perhaps in past decades we took this civilised bond for granted, but it's times like this that might encourage people to pay more attention to how society works and....make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I know the situation is that bad, but is it really going to descend into the kind of fire & brimstone type scenario being painted here???

We have a society because for hundreds of years, millions of ordinary, decent people realised that by cooperating with each other trading goods and services, we could all enjoy a safe, comfortable standard of living.

Perhaps in past decades we took this civilised bond for granted, but it's times like this that might encourage people to pay more attention to how society works and....make it work.

Don't mention the wars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Don't mention the wars.
    That was where one society tried to take out another. For example, if things get so bad, that the UK decides to invade us to get our natural resources (and our best looking women).

We could declare war on the US, then they'd have to invade and rebuild our country?

Or we could try and do a 'Switzerland'.

Advertisement