Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

% of large tourney... opinions please

Options
  • 31-01-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

this for the moment is a hypotethical situation but I do have a reason for raising the point...

I'm playing a ... ok lets rephrase that..... not me.... a +EV player is playing a large buy in tourney and the buy in is 5 k ...

He decides to sell 10% of himself at 500 euro face value before the tourney ... fair enough...

Now he makes it to day 2 of the tourney and the field has been reduced by 50% wants to sell 10% of himself now and he has

a) average stack

b) half average stack

c) double average stack

d) chip leader

whats the 10% worth now?

I prob have a load of flaws in this so feel free to add other variables but just an idea is what I'm after..

thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

sold 10% of myself when cl with 20 out of 200 left. sold it for 600 origanally i'd sold 20% (pre-tourney) for 300X2(2X10%stakes) . Incidentally i bubbled:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

point is... would I be correct in saying that 10% on day 2 is worth a lot more than 10% before the tourney starts?

the way I see it with 50% of the field gone and having option (a)average stack the stake is worth at least double?

Or is my maths wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It wouldn't know how to calculate his exact worth at this point, can an ICM calculator do that? But it'd definitely be worth alot more than at the start of the tournament if he has an average stack alright. Over double I'd have guessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

As you said, there are more variables to take into consideration. I guess field size would be one of the major ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Selling %'s after the start of a tournament is messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Macspower wrote: »
    point is... would I be correct in saying that 10% on day 2 is worth a lot more than 10% before the tourney starts?

the way I see it with 50% of the field gone and having option (a)average stack the stake is worth at least double?

Or is my maths wrong?

Absolutely not worth double imo,i'm finding it hard to quantify a figure but I'm thinking 50% on top of the original share price at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

Absolutely not worth double imo,i'm finding it hard to quantify a figure but I'm thinking 50% on top of the original share price at most.

Yeah, I think the same. Spent 10 mins trying to write an equation taking stack, runners, etc. into it. Gave up then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

thanks for the efforts guys.... nver mind an actual figure but we all seem to be in agreement that it's worth more than the 500.....

thats all I need for now.... Now I go play david vs golliath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

it's obviously worth more..

i can understand why you're asking though.. it's rarely discussed..

just like betting on in-running odds on betfair or whatever, you're horse is worth a lot more after jumping the final fence.. just ask the market..

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

would you not just devide the total prize pool by the remaining feild and the add or subtract what % you are to the avg stack?

5k buyin, 300 enter, 10k stating stack and day 2 has 120 left and an everage stack is 25k so an avg stack is worth €12,500? I think that would be it for just face value not sure what % you'd add for a +EV player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Donkathon wrote: »
    would you not just devide the total prize pool by the remaining feild and the add or subtract what % you are to the avg stack?

5k buyin, 300 enter, 10k stating stack and day 2 has 120 left and an everage stack is 25k so an avg stack is worth €12,500? I think that would be it for just face value not sure what % you'd add for a +EV player
    I personally believe the following to be the case, this is disregarding the players skills or lack thereof.

At a later stage of the tournament I'd imagine that the
    Tournament prizepool/players remaining = average stack valuation

I think this is fairer because you are entitled to charge for any overlay that might have occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Beat: Just in from beer

Brag: n/a

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

With half the field gone with an average stack, its pretty fair to sell 10% stake for 20% of buy-in, but it gets messy once you try to adjust up or down due to stack size.
    If it was a small amount i'd ignore it. But if I was below average i'd give a decent reduction to a backer (i'd only be getting backed by a good friend in that situation). If I was way above average i'd be open to offers on a case by case basis.
    That said, staking after a tourney start is messy

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RichardB2

Assuming the players remaining are equal in ability would

(Prize Fund divided by Chips In Play) * Stack Size

fairly represent the value of a players tournament equity.

Advertisement