Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed question

Options
  • 31-01-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Two questions guys to any of you experts out there.

I am about to be connected to a 7.6mb BB connection and I have a relatively old ADSL Modem Wireless Router which has worked fine on serveral different connections over the years but has never been tested above 1024/512, how do I know that this modem will perform at 7.6mb, I cannot find any info on this modem or any others for that matter if they have connection speed limitations, the ISP is offering me a free modem or if I have my own kit 1 months free connection, if my current modem is fine for the job then why get a new one, so do ADSL modems have connection speed limitations or do they just all work at what ever the line is capable of.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Geoffxx

anybody ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

any chance of getting a loan of a router from someone else for a night or a few hours to check it out with your setup ?
    7.6mb -->1mb is a bit much though.
    though 1024/512 seems very round :)

if the ISP is offering you a free modem then i would take it. how much is a months connection 40 quid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Geoffxx

I guess my question is simply - are there speed limitations on individual ADSL modems, I've never seen any modem spec that actually states "this modem can download at speeds of up to 1m 2m 3m 4m 7.6m 20m etc, the spec only seems to show the lan or wifi speed e.g. 54m wireless g

would it be ok to assume that all adsl modems are capable of downloading at whatever speed your line is capable of up to 54mbps, the modem in question is a BUffalo wmr 54g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i have not seen any limitations on speeds of adsl modems and would be surprised if even the early ones had that low a limitation since isdn was like 256

Advertisement