Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick VAT question

Options
  • 31-01-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm know there are some issues with ordering items from play.com etc with regards to VAT, but if I order something from say pixmania.co.uk as opposed to pixmania.ie - Am I likely to have another VAT charge etc once it arrives? (The item is a camcorder so it's quite expensive). Would there be any difference if it was from a different European country?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Whats your question?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hello

Had you a question?

edit - beaten .. doh! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

lol I knew you'd be in before I managed to as my question - I pressed return by mistake and since I'm only on dialup it takes an age to get back in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

and when you say vat, do you specifically mean inport tax

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Unlucky Random, the Q is up now anyway!:D

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    and when you say vat, do you specifically mean inport tax

well yes, any extra charge really

btw- you folks are quick off the ball - ..kudos

it is always a good idea to put a mistake like that in your initial thread so all the vulchers can bite :)

any time i have imported from the UK (dealextreme.com and the like) i was never hit with it.
    when i was buying from like hongkong or that side of the world, even though the seller was in the UK i did have to pay the import tax

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

samhail wrote: »
    it is always a good idea to put a mistake like that in your initial thread so all the vulchers can bite :)

any time i have imported from the UK (dealextreme.com and the like) i was never hit with it.
    when i was buying from like hongkong or that side of the world, even though the seller was in the UK i did have to pay the import tax
    The vultures are still picking! dealextreme ship from China/Hong Kong;)
    Many ebay sellers are in China posing as being in the UK, note the pigeon english

Bazman- I didn't think you would be allowed order from pixmania.co.uk and get it delivered here? Can you? I expected they would send you to the ie site...

rubadub wrote: »
    The vultures are still picking! dealextreme ship from China/Hong Kong;)...

hey i actually knew that. crap :) got a package during the week. and wasted the last few quid on my 3v card yesterday.

have to keep an eye out on import tax so

rubadub wrote: »
    The vultures are still picking! dealextreme ship from China/Hong Kong;)
    Many ebay sellers are in China posing as being in the UK, note the pigeon english

Bazman- I didn't think you would be allowed order from pixmania.co.uk and get it delivered here? Can you? I expected they would send you to the ie site...

you are right - it seems you need a UK address . I suppose the question still holds tho' for other UK sites assuming they did deliver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

UK sites, that dispatch products from a UK address, will not incur an addtional charge (import duty, or VAT). The trick is determining whether, or not, they are actually UK based in the first place. Play.com, Amazon.co.uk, HMV, and many others would have you belive that they are UK based (until you find out the hard way that they actually ship from a business based in Jersey, or some such, and you get lumped with a bill for VAT+Import Duty + Handling fee).

Even more confusing is the above mentioned companies dispatch some items from their UK based company/subsidary. So a €50 DVD may, or may not, be liable for additional import fees, and you can't determine either way before purchase.

Advertisement