Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clonmel's flooded!

• 31-01-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

Went down to the quay this morning for a ramble with the camera. Got soaked! Thankfully my house is just about far enough away to be affected. Lots of people will be in a bad way and prob can't keep getting insurance time after time.

3240636549_8b21e66c69_o.jpg

3241469642_52724bdcb4_o.jpg

Not for C + C or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Wow, nice Pics, Thats unbelievable, I thought there would be better flood barriers at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Beef,

there's a weather pictures forum under Science/Weather. You might want to add that second one in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

drove up there yesterday at lunchtime!! the water was on the road but it's risen something fierce since then, might get the motorcycle out and take a spin around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clonmel must be Irelands most flooded town. Love the top pic, real drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Ah feck! Was plannin on going to the Indian Ocean tonight! Judging by the 2nd picture it's FECKED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Thanks folks,

Fionn - it's worth a spin down now - and it's prob gonna get even higher the way things are going! Might send the 2nd one off to the newspaper - it tells more of a story.

Just back from the quays. Everybody was out with their SLRs. Who was that mad fecker hangin off the bridge with his tripod?

Here's a few pics from this eve:

3241238807_55ed063a54.jpg?v=0

3241238535_370bcd8b3d.jpg?v=0

3242071232_f647826261.jpg?v=0

3241238079_79588e020c.jpg?v=0

3241237947_1a39402b9c.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Overblood wrote: »
    Just back from the quays. Everybody was out with their SLRs. Who was that mad fecker hangin off the bridge with his tripod?
    Why no pic of him?
    I like pic#2 in your set, looks like something from the 60s, hope the production of Bulmers is not effected, if it is suppose I always have this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_zLY7ISuqk&feature=channel_page
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Why does god hate clonmel so much? Every year he trys wash it away with a flood.

Or maybe they shouldn't be building so close to a river that brakes its bank every year

• Advertisement

Give me 2 minutes and I'll wrangle a pic of yer man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I love the movement of the water in the first pic Beef.

Agreed it makes it look like a savage current with the murkyness and swirls.

This guy!

3242140106_3289408584.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Mad bastard :D

Jesus - tis not me anyway! In Clonmel of all places - it's a wonder a bunch of scummers didn't try and push him over! :)

Edit - here's another shot from further down the river... Anyone fancy a ramble down the riverside walk?

3242180524_7f7f21b302_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I must get my pictures processed. I was up earlier, I passed someone in carrick taking pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

:)
    the guy with the tripod! nah wasn't me either! I dont have a death wish - it was uncomfortable enough going around on the motorcycle!! without the possibility of falling into a seething surging torrent.
    I think it's supposed to recede later tonight, hope so

anyway heres one i snapped - got a few more on my Flickr (including the mandatory shutter priority shot!!!) ;)

3242577246_c8eb6e784b.jpg

I think it's supposed to recede later tonight, hope so

What!? I hope NOT! I want more pics!:pac:

I was trying to get one of the valley flooded to bits but I eventually ran out of sunlight looking for a high vantage point, and the backroads were getting a bit dangerous,they were falling to pieces. There was one section of road where the flow of water was ripping lumps of tarmac up and effortlessly carrying it away. Kinda scary actually:eek:. I'll try and get a photo of it tomorrow. And bring a lump of tarmac back as a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

Terrible luck for locals and business's, who were looking forwards to a busy week with the coursing festival due to start on monday. Alot of money is going to be lost!

• Advertisement

Page 2 of the Sunday Tribune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Beef wrote: »
    Page 2 of the Sunday Tribune!
    You're 1st pic?
    Well done. :)
    Did you just send it to them hoping they'd use it or..?

Did they pay you for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Prob should post this somewhwere else, but my heart goes out to the people who have their homes destroyed. Cant understand why the county council or the crowd from An Taisce dont have cobble lock and Tar drives banned near flood areas. They add to the problem.

As for the photos great work and well done on having them published

LeoB wrote: »
    Cant understand why the county council or the crowd from An Taisce dont have cobble lock and Tar drives banned near flood areas. They add to the problem.

What's a Cobble locked Tar-Drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cobble lock i don't know

Tar drive is a tarmacadem Drive way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it's a tacky imitation of cobble-lock using imprinted tarmac. Classy!

Cant understand why the county council or the crowd from An Taisce dont have cobble lock and Tar drives banned near flood areas.

How do Cobblethings and tar drives add to the problem of flooding?

Here's what I posted about earlier. This is the river suir flowing out of a mates front gate. See where the flow gets kind of choppy? That's where it's ripping up the road. It's a pothole the size of a small truck. About the size of those brennans fresh bread today trucks with the wooden things that yer man carries into the shop.

3244714653_c4c68e86d6.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Overblood. How do Cobbledrive tarblocks add to the problem of flooding?
    The more drives that are paved the less area the water has to soak naturally. I personally am not big into them but some are nice and as a patio they can be quite nice. 20 years ago we had less flooding but since we have had a lot building near rivers and streams. Look at all the "Riverview" and estates with "water" in them Its no wonder we have flooding like the people of Clonmel are enduring.
    Anyway the op is what we should be about here and these photos are a superb record of history, a tough chapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

no good for soakage or something along those lines

Advertisement