Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Outage] Google is broken!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Random wrote: »
    The guy did that in the first post?

Quickly, sell your Google shares !

Doh!!, serves me right for jumping to the end!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hi, my name is John. I'm a recovering Google user. This problem has been going on for almost twenty minutes now. My hands are starting to shake. My eyes are blurry. I've had to quit my job. Where are we get refuge? Who will take us in?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Thank f##k. Back to normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Never before in the histroy of man....eh ...Google have so many google related threads being made ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

argh its doing it again... what now!!?

yahoo?? pfffft as if!?

alta vista? ugh....

*breaks down and chucks cactus across the room*

HOW COULD YOU GOOGLE!!!?

• Advertisement

Is this a marketing ploy by Google? Those that use it will continue to use it because it gives them something to talk about. Those who've never heard of it will say "what's Google" and by the time they work out the URL Google is back up and working !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

oh. its ok now.

*picks up smashed cactus*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was it just happening with Mozilla?
    When I tried it in IE it worked OK, but it may have coincided with the fixing of it. Any IE users (are there any still out there?) get this error?

Random wrote: »
    Hi, my name is John. I'm a recovering Google user. This problem has been going on for almost twenty minutes now. My hands are starting to shake. My eyes are blurry. I've had to quit my job. Where are we get refuge? Who will take us in?
    Dear HR Manager,

You may recently have received a rather abrupt email from someone claiming to be me suggesting that you do something rather unsanitary with my job.

I would like to assure you that this was not in fact me and that I am fully aware that the world is not about to come to a premature end.

I look forward to seeing you in work on Monday morning.

Kind Regards
    John Smith

Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

works fine for me with mozilla
    not with internet explorer tho.
    whats going on??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Because of google mishap I have reached my 200th thanks mark , thanks to cabaal and cheeryghost :):D

random makes it 201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

try clearing your cache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 garimac

seems to be ok again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

minxie1 wrote: »
    Google whitelisting lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Techbot

I thought I was being paying the price for ignoring the warning the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This is what happens when you type google into google. You can break the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-site-may-harm-your-computer-on.html
    If you did a Google search between 6:30 a.m. PST and 7:25 a.m. PST this morning, you likely saw that the message "This site may harm your computer" accompanied each and every search result. This was clearly an error, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to our users.

What happened? Very simply, human error. Google flags search results with the message "This site may harm your computer" if the site is known to install malicious software in the background or otherwise surreptitiously. We do this to protect our users against visiting sites that could harm their computers. We work with a non-profit called StopBadware.org to get our list of URLs. StopBadware carefully researches each consumer complaint to decide fairly whether that URL belongs on the list. Since each case needs to be individually researched, this list is maintained by humans, not algorithms.

We periodically receive updates to that list and received one such update to release on the site this morning. Unfortunately (and here's the human error), the URL of '/' was mistakenly checked in as a value to the file and '/' expands to all URLs. Fortunately, our on-call site reliability team found the problem quickly and reverted the file. Since we push these updates in a staggered and rolling fashion, the errors began appearing between 6:27 a.m. and 6:40 a.m. and began disappearing between 7:10 and 7:25 a.m., so the duration of the problem for any particular user was approximately 40 minutes.

Thanks to our team for their quick work in finding this. And again, our apologies to any of you who were inconvenienced this morning, and to site owners whose pages were incorrectly labelled. We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in place to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Posted by Marissa Mayer, VP, Search Products & User Experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Advertisement