Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluray player query

• 31-01-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Will be jumping into the world of Bluray soon I hope and wondered if anyone had this one "Philips BDP7200 ". IT appeals to me as it plays Divx format also.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

cubix wrote: »
    Will be jumping into the world of Bluray soon I hope and wondered if anyone had this one "Philips BDP7200 ". IT appeals to me as it plays Divx format also.

Cheers
    The Samsung 1500 plays DivX too and is a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hey guys,

Any thoughts on these largely overpriced players, I guess if you buy a lot of blu ray movies from the US then maybe.
    I know from my experiences of multiregion DVD is that I didn't buy that many overseas (mostly Play or Amazon UK)
    Multi-region DVD's were at least reasonably priced and most were activated by just a code.
    The blu ray players seem to involve soldering components resulting in providers charging a 25% premium, if you buy a TOTR player like I'm planning that means a premium of several hundred quid! (you'd want to buy a lot of movies to make up that difference)

I guess I'm looking for a concensus here that I shouldn't buy one over the ordinary e.g. Sony BDP S5000ES €1100 in Ireland €1700 multi-region version (stegen electronics holland (free shipping))

Thanks Guys

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

cheapskate wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Any thoughts on these largely overpriced players, I guess if you buy a lot of blu ray movies from the US then maybe.
    I know from my experiences of multiregion DVD is that I didn't buy that many overseas (mostly Play or Amazon UK)
    Multi-region DVD's were at least reasonably priced and most were activated by just a code.
    The blu ray players seem to involve soldering components resulting in providers charging a 25% premium, if you buy a TOTR player like I'm planning that means a premium of several hundred quid! (you'd want to buy a lot of movies to make up that difference)

I guess I'm looking for a concensus here that I shouldn't buy one over the ordinary e.g. Sony BDP S5000ES €1100 in Ireland €1700 multi-region version (stegen electronics holland (free shipping))

Thanks Guys

CS

Why on earth would, wait , wait, let me not be to rash.
    The S5000, Sony's premium player that has more bell's an whistles then R2-D2 , But for some very ODD reason no support SACD?
    If that's your goal in life then never let it be said that I got between you and it.

However if its a region worrie BluRay is not a hit and miss as I have said to so many people in the last few months.And the DVD region thing? My Bluray plays back any DVD region, by my own hands to.

As for the Divx aspect part of player's:
    I think I used the Divx mode on my old DVD about 5 times. Now all of my movies are on a 1TB Multi media drive which play's allot more than "Divx". Player wise its down to the sound formats and the Profile version it supports.

>Sol

Hi Sol,

As you were saying your BDP S350 plays back any DVD but that doesn't include any region Blu ray (does it ?) I was looking at that site the other night and Yes if you pick and choose the right copies of movies they are mostly region-free but I don't want to be trying to look for an Italian copy of one film and a Dutch or french version of another (just look at the back is it region A or B)
    On why the wait, I'm going to be spending thousands, I want to ensure I get the right kit for me

I want premium hardware i.e. TV; best I can afford, not the most expensive but the two go hand in hand, I've read all the reviews, awards etc. I don't want to buy twice, so I've decided on a Pioneer Kuro.

Blu ray; I've narrowed it down to Nad T587, Pioneer LX91, Sony S5000 not because I want to show off but because they offer the best lossless sound & vision to the best quality screen (the LX91 is **** expensive while the Nad is half the price)
    The PS3 is still the fastest loader of Blu ray out there and it's profile 2 but I don't care, I don't want fast I want quality, If you want Divx movies or similar on a hard drive then that's ok but I'm switching to blu ray for the best quality, back to the PS3 who wants to hear the noise of it's fan trying to cool it's circuitry after two hours into a nail biting movie

Speakers; I'd love to buy a set of B&W 805's but I can't afford it (not with the rest anyhow) and to be honest I don't want to go trying to hide wires (and I'm an Electrician) so I thought of the Yamaha 40D as a viable stop gap, so when I do get around to making a premium purchase (and those blasted wires) I can stick the sound bar in the bedroom.

Sorry if this appears rude, but I just want to get my pov across

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

cheapskate, are you set on one of those blu ray players?

i would advise against them! if i was you i'd look at the denon 2500 and the pioneer lx71.

i've used most blu ray players on the market and the lx91 is a fantastic player but i dont think its worth the extra €1250 over the lx71. and the denon left me pretty speechless! picture was stunning when ran through the amp. (i tested it through the onkyo 876 and the pioneer lx81) and displayed on a pioneer lx5090

http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/bluray/bdplx71.htm

adam

• Advertisement

For the majority of people, any of the cheaper Blu-ray players should suffice e.g. Samsung 1500, Panasonic BD35, Sony S350 etc. The Pioneer LX91, although currently the best Blu-ray player on the market, is not, as the poster above mentioned, worth the premium over the lower priced players. The main benefits of the LX91 would be the increased Blu-ray and DVD performance, 7.1 analogue outs and internal decoding of every HD audio format; bar DTS-HD MA, which is coming in a future firmware update.

I am sure there are users who are looking for the pinnacle of Blu-ray quality and for them, the LX91 would be it. For everyone else, the players mentioned in the first line of my post are definitely worth considering.

Hi guys,

Rsaeire, I'm not knocking the entry level kit at all, I made reference to the PS3 as I have mates that swear they are far superior than any other player because of it's cell processor which I've no doubt has great number crunching ability.
    I read in another forum these players have one chip which looks after all the functionality of the player whereas the Pioneer's have a seperate board for each channel.
    Yes I appreciate that these are top end players and OTT for most users. I originally was looking at the panny 55 as it had won all the awards but then when I decided on the Kuro I thought maybe I'm not doing the kuro justice!

Adam, Yes I had looked at the BT2500 and was going to buy one from sevenoaks here in Dublin as it was very keenly priced in their sale but then I'd have needed an Amp (or at least advised to get a Denon 1909) but again it's not profile 2 and I know that I never looked at in fact I often threw away the 2nd disc which came with DVD movies in the past but still like I said in earlier post I don't want to buy twice!
    I had also considered going all Pioneer with the 71 Amp and the 71 blu ray and a set of B&W MT-30 with two extra M1 speakers for a 7.1 set-up.

Oh I don't know, but thanks Guys for your input, I do appreciate it.

CS

Hi guys,

Rsaeire, I'm not knocking the entry level kit at all, I made reference to the PS3 as I have mates that swear they are far superior than any other player because of it's cell processor which I've no doubt has great number crunching ability.
    I read in another forum these players have one chip which looks after all the functionality of the player whereas the Pioneer's have a seperate board for each channel.
    Yes I appreciate that these are top end players and OTT for most users. I originally was looking at the panny 55 as it had won all the awards but then when I decided on the Kuro I thought maybe I'm not doing the kuro justice!

CS

I didn't think you were, I was merely pointing out the alternatives to the LX91 and how it differs from the 1500, BD35 and S350. ;)

i'd still give the nod to the LX71 BD player.

at €750 its the business, i hear what you're saying about going all out on the kit and i totally agree with your choice of panel but i think the LX91 is too little for what they're charging.

adam

Adam,

I hear what your saying and I agree that the LX71 is an excellent player (as is the Denon transport) but I still can't get away from the fact that neither are Profile 2.0
    The Sony S5000 on the other hand is and although it's expensive it has received good reviews on What HiFi

Thanks anyway for your advice

CS

• Advertisement

Adam,

I hear what your saying and I agree that the LX71 is an excellent player (as is the Denon transport) but I still can't get away from the fact that neither are Profile 2.0
    The Sony S5000 on the other hand is and although it's expensive it has received good reviews on What HiFi

Thanks anyway for your advice

CS

Although it is true that the Sony S5000ES is a great player, I wouldn't go on what What Hi-Fi say, as they're almost always praising how good items are regardless of their actual performance.

I recommend looking on AVForums for expert opinion, as the users at least own the items and have them matched up with a wide array of devices.

If you're concerned about picture quality i would strongly advise you to stay away from the Sony, its a good player but its nowhere near the Pioneer/Denon.

If profile 2.0 is that important to you, buy a cheap 2.0 player (Panasonic BD35 et al) and use it when you want the 2.0 "special features". but for when you want to see how good blu ray is then use the LX71/2500BT. i have a BD35 and i have never used BD-Live or any of the 2.0 features. i just want the best quality for the film itself, thats why im gonna upgrade to the LX71.

and the LX71 is far superior for audio than anything Sony can offer. Dont get me wrong, the Sony S5000 is a great player but for the money-vs-quality, you'd want your head tested for not getting the Pioneer/Denon!

Hi,

Yes point taken, I'll check out that Forum

Thanks,

CS

Big Moe,

Thanks for reminding me, I must get my head checked next week!:D
    Now why didn't I think of that, you're a genius!

Thanks,

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Just one more head-ache the forthcoming : "PROFILE 3"
    As far as I know its only available to profile players 2.x and above.

>Sol

Hi Sol,

Interesting, Is this the new SACD?

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is this the new SACD?

Sounds more like HDCD2. SACD uses 2 layers read by the laser one augmenting the other. HDCD encodes extra information superflous to cd players/dac's that can't decode it, but if you have a HDCD decoding player or dac then it will read the extra information and apply it to the audio.

Seems to me this is just using components from the BD players that operate within higher tolerances to read cd's more effectively. This would serve to reduce the analogue clocking errors that are introduced when reading normal cd's.

Unless I am reading the post wrongly, cd's would have to be encoded with extra information (probably a clock) that the BD laser can use to reference the audio information on the disc.

So realistically, if you're buying a Blu-ray player to watch movies, this won't apply as it's merely an SACD replacement. I don't know about any one else, but I only have 1 SACD, so I can't see this making a huge difference for the general consumer.

Hey Guys,

Awaiting delivery of my new Kuro from Richer sounds, Due in shop tuesday so I have to make a move on my Blu ray player ( I now have over 100 films and up to now all I've been able to do is read the sleeve)

I hear y'all (influenced from watchin the Wire all last night) and appreciate your advice and opinions but I'm going to go my own way!
    I read on AV forums that there are a lot of happy BDPS5000ES owners and even some that have had Denon and Pioneer So I'm going to buy one

I see on Elara that they're selling them for 1100+ and as they have a commercial link here I guess they are reliable

Thanks again

CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

akaSol wrote: »
    Just one more head-ache the forthcoming : "PROFILE 3"
    As far as I know its only available to profile players 2.x and above.

>Sol

just saw the post above now regarding this Blu-Spec CD from Sony. As nereid mentioned above, this is not a SACD replacement nor does it have anything to do with Blu-Ray players. Its still for CD's and will play in all existing CD players.
    As the article says, traditional CD discs are burned using a red laser. Its not as accurate or precise as the blue laser used to burn Blu-Ray discs so Sony are coming up with the idea of using the blue laser on CD's. The pits etc on the CD surface can be packed more tightly and with better accuracy. This in theory can reduce errors when reading off the disc and not make the player re-seek if it skips or mistakenly double reads a particular part of the disc. Most CD's players these days that adhere to the 'Red Book' standard have various methods of avoiding having to re-seek anyway so Sony here is blowing its trumpet about nothing special at all in my opinion.

The article in the above link mentions the term 'jitter'. It uses this term loosely here and should be really called 'seek jitter' and basically refers to what I mentioned above regarding players reseeking badly read data. It has nothing to do with 'clock jitter'. The problems of clock jitter still remain as before and this so called Blu-Spec CD has nothing to do with it. Clock jitter is hardware implementation issue.

Since Sony are pushing Blu-Ray, I suppose it makes sense from a cost point of view to ditch their red-laser equipment/tools and use the blue-laser for both Blu-Ray and Blu-Spec CD production.

Anyway, the future of music whether its crappy mp3 or high res audio, is probably downloads and hard disc based separates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

viperirl wrote: »
    Anyway, the future of music whether its crappy mp3 or high res audio, is probably downloads and hard disc based separates.

Agreed. Something nice like this.

Advertisement